🥇 BANNER Found Me a CHAIN CENT

PAdiggertom

Mar 16, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
heres a more detailed verson some of you ask for more details...ill start of saying that i found this on a old farm and we find a ton of stuff here, stuff from War of 1812 to WW2, and coins that date to 1774. I mean every kind of eagle button and every size. and some real nice war of 1812 buttons. my first coin i found here was a 1844 half dime. but anyways where i found the coin was right in front of an old barn on the ramp leading up to the loading doors. when i was about to scan the area i said screw it ill give it another shot beacuse all i find in this little spot was trash..so im scanning and then this loud tone came screaming out oof the 91 whites eagle spectrum. and i look at the screen and its read 72 solid. at ths point i knew it was a coin because about 10 feet away i found a 1808 half cent that read the same but here im think its another half cent..so i cut my plug and pulled out about 4 inches of dirt and still didnt see the target. i scanned the plug and it wasnt in there, so i put the coil over the hole and pinned point it and i said only about 5 inches deep. i got doen to start pulling dirt out with my hands, i took about 2 hand fulls out and at the top right cornor of the hole i seen a coin and as soon as i seen that i saw the circle chain..right off the bat i knew what i had. that grin on my face was about a mile long. now im looking at places to get it graded..and thank you everyone who voted it to be a banner this is my first!!!

Attachments

• coin.jpg
    coin.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 4,780
  • coin2.jpg
    coin2.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 4,719
Last edited:
Upvote 21

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's your coin. You can have it graded, but in MOO, waste of time and $. If you want to sell it, any big $ collector will want to examine it "in the metal". With that said, You have a Sheldon-3----"Close date-no periods- "leaning R". Without seeing any date, the LIBERTY has the leaning R. It's the ONLY obverse that matches this coin. About 15,000 coined. The NC-1, which appears to have the same reverse, has only 2 known specimens. "Missed it by that much!" Congratulations on your find and the banner.......But I didn't know "Green or New" members were eligible to make the banner. Must be a new "administrative" policy change. :occasion18:

Papa Bear

Bronze Member
Dec 30, 2011
Western Territories
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Teknetics G2, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats on the banner!! A rare find for sure!! Well done!! :occasion14:

Breezie

Gold Member
Oct 3, 2009
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & Spectrum~Garrett's Pro-Pointer~VibraProbe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
SWEET!!!!!!! OMGoodness what a find! Congratulations on a find of a lifetime and for making the BANNER! Way to go :) Breezie

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's your coin. You can have it graded, but in MOO, waste of time and $. If you want to sell it, any big $ collector will want to examine it "in the metal". With that said, You have a Sheldon-3----"Close date-no periods- "leaning R". Without seeing any date, the LIBERTY has the leaning R. It's the ONLY obverse that matches this coin. About 15,000 coined. The NC-1, which appears to have the same reverse, has only 2 known specimens. "Missed it by that much!" Congratulations on your find and the banner.......But I didn't know "Green or New" members were eligible to make the banner. Must be a new "administrative" policy change. :occasion18:

Ultra rare coin - congrats.

Now the bar has been set!

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Wow! Super-sweet find!!

All the best,

Lanny

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on a great piece of history!

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro (2), Makro Racer 2, Garrett AT Pinpointer (2)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great work - congratulations!!

lonelyduckhunter

May 5, 2009
Easton, MD
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett GTI2500, Minelab Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to the Chain Gang! Great feeling finding one of these isn't it.:headbang:

Rich in Central PA

May 28, 2003
Shamokin Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tom, I used ANACS to grade the 2 Chain Cents that I found. Turnaround was 10-14 days and I paid only $7.00 to get it graded and encapsulated. (No worries with ANACS) Now that was over 10 years ago, prices may have gone up.

PS: Getting your coin authenticated, graded, and encapsulated by the experts is definitely the best course of action for you to do. Buyers won't even look at a coin if its not authenticated..........Rich

ANACS - America's Oldest Coin Authentication and Grading Service Good luck.

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tom, I used ANACS to grade the 2 Chain Cents that I found. Turnaround was 10-14 days and I paid only $7.00 to get it graded and encapsulated. (No worries with ANACS) Now that was over 10 years ago, prices may have gone up.

PS: Getting your coin authenticated, graded, and encapsulated by the experts is definitely the best course of action for you to do. Buyers won't even look at a coin if its not authenticated..........Rich

ANACS - America's Oldest Coin Authentication and Grading Service Good luck.
Yep......Was waiting for someone to pipe in like this. "Buyers won't even look at a coin if it's not authenticated.....Rich". Well Rich.......You may want to look at a few I found, IN MY SIGNATURE, and what they sold for......That weren't "authenticated". I'd also be curious to see the 2 chain cents you found......and what condition they are now in, being contained in that plastic holder. Or did you sell both? His grade will be G-4 (or3)....AT BEST.....along with "Improper Cleaning" and "Environmental Damage" as qualifiers. What did yours grade.....and what Sheldon varieties were they? You have to pay extra for the variety on the label.

Last edited:

Rich in Central PA

May 28, 2003
Shamokin Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep......Was waiting for someone to pipe in like this. "Buyers won't even look at a coin if it's not authenticated.....Rich". Well Rich.......You may want to look at a few I found, IN MY SIGNATURE, and what they sold for......That weren't "authenticated". I'd also be curious to see the 2 chain cents you found......and what condition they are now in, being contained in that plastic holder. Or did you sell both? His grade will be G-4 (or3)....AT BEST.....along with "Improper Cleaning" and "Environmental Damage" as qualifiers. What did yours grade.....and what Sheldon varieties were they? You have to pay extra for the variety on the label.

Hogge, I'm not gonna get into a debate over this, I am not a buyer, never was. There are alot of fakes out there, I would never buy nor I would suspect many others would NOT buy a rare, expensive coin without it being authenticated. This is just common sense. Perhaps there are some who are willing to take that chance, the risk is far greater than the rewards. Everybody is safe (buyer and seller) when the coin is genuine.

I'd bet if your coins were authenticated, graded, and encapsulated you would have gotten a higher price, and possibly more buyers. Would you agree on that?

My first one(found in March 1998 in Union County, PA, was graded VF details (corroded) net VG-8 Sheldon 4
My second one (found in Sep 1999) was the AMERI. variety: found in Northumberland County, PA, was graded PO-1 I think that was a Sheldon 1.

No, nothing extra for the labeling. I sold them both within a year after I dug them..........Rich.

Gunrunner61

Silver Member
Jan 12, 2011
Dalton,Ga.
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, E Trac, Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fantastic find, one still on my wish list...........And probably will for a while.......................HH

P.S.
I'd vote Banner on it but you done made it, Personally I don't care if you been a member
Ten Hours or Ten Years, A banner find is a banner find, Congrats!

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the previous chain cents. Saw 1 that you posted. Must have been the PO-1. Do NOT agree, what-so ever, with you, or anyone else, on the grading thing. The people that actually need a grading service to tell if a coin is authentic, shouldn't be collecting rare coins, or any coin for that matter, in the first place. There are some EXTREMELY well made fakes, that have even eluded, and been encapsulated, as genuine, by PCGS and ANACS. THAT IS A FACT! Grading services were, and still are, a way to make $. Do they have a purpose......YES....in authenticating a coin as genuine. But anyone can do that with a coin from the ground. Match up the weight range, diameter, and die variety, with what you have. It's NOT rocket science. Grading co's basically prey on the people who have, little or no knowledge, on what it is they have. If you want to hear about a recent nightmare.....read back about the Higley Copper found a couple months ago. Read about how it came back from the "Grader". "Inconclusive" AND in worse shape than when he sent it. He thinks they tried to clean it up. NOT GOOD.....I can probably guess that the company had LIMITED knowledge on this particular coin type.....and didn't want to authenticate it. Yep.....those are your experts.:laughing9: If I had that coin......I would have went right to Northeast Numismatics in Concord Ma., or someone that specializes in the colonial field of coins. PCGS would be the only grader I would trust with that one. Only 1 problem.......It wouldn't make it through grading as it was a dug copper coin, with active pvc. So why send it???? I'm still waiting on the poster for the outcome of this one. Obviously should have made the banner. Why it didn't was WAY beyond me. ::)

OP
OP
PAdiggertom

PAdiggertom

Mar 16, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
thanks everyone for the comments and the info helps me out on what im going to do with this coin
and also for some of the people i may be new to the fourm but not new to this hobbie dont have to be a 10 year member to make banner

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks everyone for the comments and the info helps me out on what im going to do with this coin
and also for some of the people i may be new to the fourm but not new to this hobbie dont have to be a 10 year member to make banner
Congratulations.....and welcome to T-Net.

mnixon

Apr 2, 2010
Austin TX
Detector(s) used
White Eagle Spectrum, AT pro
Congrats on a magnificent coin .........that's one " chain-gang" I'd like to be a part of :occasion14:

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on finding one of the elusive Chain Cents! In decent shape to boot, the smile on your face when you knew what it was had to be a big one.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions