What's new

Found My 1st Ax

rock

Gold Member
Joined
Aug 25, 2012
Messages
14,751
Reaction score
8,933
Golden Thread
0
Location
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went hunting with a friend which was fun. We both found artifacts. I found this small preform or Hoe. Not a ax or axe my mistake. HH, rock
 

Attachments

  • SDC10222.webp
    SDC10222.webp
    619.2 KB · Views: 189
  • SDC10223.webp
    SDC10223.webp
    303.6 KB · Views: 157
  • SDC10224.webp
    SDC10224.webp
    333.2 KB · Views: 166
  • SDC10219.webp
    SDC10219.webp
    279.8 KB · Views: 181
  • SDC10216.webp
    SDC10216.webp
    737 KB · Views: 138
  • SDC10221.webp
    SDC10221.webp
    279.6 KB · Views: 148
Last edited:
Upvote 0
That's a cool find Rock! They don't show up to often in these parts.
 
Might be a worn down adze rock.
The "bit" is beveled from one side only

ForumRunner_20150310_175635.webp
 
nice find rock.My search still continues for one
 
Always fun to hunt with another. Have your fields been turned yet?
 
That's an interesting tool.It has an adze like bit but is wider than adzes I'm used to seeing.Either way its definetly a cool tool...mjm
 
Congrats on the axe find! Someday I will find one, I just know it! The other finds are super cool too! I've been out all weekend and now it's lighter longer after work but no luck...maybe after it rains something will wash up.
 
Sweet find either way boss ;)
 
Good eye rock :icon_thumleft: Still on a streak I see. :)
 
Well I don't believe it is finished I do think it is a real close runner up for a preform Banner Stone. The material I do not believe would be strong enough to be a axe. It is a creek type of material maybe slate. Its been worked on the edges but no hole is present or even started. I will have to take it to the show and see what they say. Look up Butterfly Banner. Thanks, rock
 
Have you looked at hoes found in your area?
It has a pretty obvious bevel on the bit to me would lead me to believe it was used as a hoe more than a banner stone preform.
It looks like it's been used to me
 
These are from your part of the state.

ForumRunner_20150311_043941.webp
 
Hey! Nice finds! And nice hoe/thing. It does look like it has a bit, and from what Gator's showing, looks very similar! Excellent hunt:thumbsup:
 
Hoe did cross my mind also but the material throws me off. I know they did have notched hoes from the Woodland period here made from Greenstone. Its 4 inches long maybe used up and then tossed.
 
Ugly looking things aren't they. The pic you posted Gator looks just like mine. Gator strikes again. Thanks buddy
 
Ah..heck I didn't do anything I'm just looking at it ...you did all the work finding it .congratulations
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom