Here is a survival item list I have copied and pasted from another forum and have saved in my email, it is incomplete yet excessive and is more of a longterm "the world might end I'm out of here kit"

but you might see some items in here you might want to add. I would add the fire starting items, water tablets, emergency blanket and some emergency communication to call for help if needed, they make gps's now with help buttons etc and that should be small enough kit with a few other items. This is why I mentioned earlier about going with other people is always better you are far less likely to ever need any of these items if you go with a couple of people.
Huge pack to carry half this stuff

fleece sleeping bag, emergency blanket, inflatable pillow, hammock, shovel, hatchet, Wyoming saw, fire starting bag (with matches, flint, lighters, vaseline, cotton balls, steel wool fire starting sticks), shake up flash light, radio that is crank, battery, or solar powered, first aid kit, bathroom kit, rain suit, K-bar knife, sharpening stone, para cord, duct tape, snare wire, sewing kit, sterno fuel, folding sterno stove, rope, 100 oz hydration pack bladder, iodine crystals, compass, binoculars, mess kit, tin cup,bowl and plate, clothes line reel, towel, bug spray, crossbow, arrows, a good knife, a folding shovel, magnesium fire starter, a bottle or 2 of survival tablets, filtered canteen, a change of clothes from summer to cold weather, 2 space blankets. Mosquito net headgear, fishing line and a 44mag with extra ammo.