What's new

Found stone in backyard from digging

LMDAVE

Tenderfoot
Joined
Jul 30, 2015
Messages
7
Reaction score
2
Golden Thread
0
Location
Metairie, LA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi, first time posting.

Just curious what this stone is and could it be an artifact that had been used as a tool or something. Someone said it looks like chert.
I'm new to this and just curious of anyone's opinion here. The smooth half of the stone is perfect to fit in a hand, and are the smooth edges from usage of the stone from stiking maybe, or is that just natural occurance?

l-411532586.jpg


l-411532585.jpg


l-411532584.jpg
 
Upvote 0
Yes, it looks like a nice cobble of chert/flint. The flakes look to have a strategy vs natural damage, so someone probably took a few flakes off making it a core.

The smooth rounded part is the cortex, rind or skin of the cobble.
 
Looks like a possible geofact that tooks a few hits but isn't a tool...
 
Thanks for the quick responses. So, basically this isn't really anything rare or of any interest then. And excuse me for asking any remedial or silly questions since I'm new at this. This coloring on one of the sharp points couldn't possibly be blood or can blood even be perserved on a stone?

l-411532592.jpg
 
Thanks for the quick responses. So, basically this isn't really anything rare or of any interest then. And excuse me for asking any remedial or silly questions since I'm new at this. This coloring on one of the sharp points couldn't possibly be blood or can blood even be perserved on a stone?"


No, not especially rare, but it's still artifactual, as it were. It's a core, from which flakes have been taken to produce tools. Not a tool itself, but still certainly artifactual, not a geofact. So sure it's of interest. If you were putting an assemblage together from a distinct site, it's a part of that assemblage. It's raw material showing it was being sourced for tool production. That's really an important piece of evidence(what lithics were being sourced) when documenting a site archaeologically.

No, that's not blood. Just a spot of iron oxide probably.
 
Last edited:
Thanks Charl, that was my first instinct when I saw this, that it looks like some was taken from it to make something. I guess my next move would to dig more in the area in the future to see if I find anything else.
 
I always find these type of cobbles interesting when I find them in my creek and most times bring them up to the house for further inspection and then they go around my lavender garden. I've been told on this forum that sometimes they could have been a pounding tool and then discarded and I also know from research they would shape cobbles into hammer stones and such. In your first pic when looking at the cortex I can see what I like to see in the cobbles I find, plant fossils. You almost have to train your eyes to see them but they look just like the plant fibers I see in some of the pottery shards I find, anyway I think it's cool for the fossil part alone and a keeper in my book. I say keep looking because in your State you're bound to find something. Welcome to the site and happy hunting...good luck!
 
They are worth saving to have as study pieces as it gives you the first step in early production.Plus it is a sign of possible ancient occupation:thumbsup: Welcome to the forum.
 
Last edited:
cool find nevertheless! It means you've got a good eye
 
The brown spot on the rock is called patina. That being on the scar shows the age of the flake removed. Most collectors look for those mineral deposits to be sure it is ancient and not a reproduction.
 
Thanks for all the info and welcomes. This definitely sparks my interest to continue to find and search for these. There's a wealth of info on this site, glad I found it.
 
Well, that was the intent of my original post was to find out that if the rock looks like something left over from the previous owner's landscaping, or could it be more. I've been in the house for about 12 years. This rock was about 1 foot below the surface, I found it while digging a hole to route some conduit. I didn't intend anytime soon digging up more, but maybe one day. There was just something about this rock that made me ask about it. I found it like 1 month before actually asking, but every time I stared at it didn't look like a natural break. But, I'm about facts also.

Only other thing I noticed as I was holding it in my hand was there was small crevice where your thumb would land, as if it was flaked off to help the stone from slipping from a hand.

l-411559683.jpg


As for where I found it, this is an old map of the area (1800's), if you see the phrase 'CYPRESS AND OAK SWAMP', the "A" in AND is about where it was. Research shows this vicinity as old Indian town Tchou-tchouma.

1800s1863MapCivilWarApproachesUSE.gif
 
Last edited:
Could be a hammer stone most of the ones I find are Quartzite but I have found flint ones. Sorry for treading all over your post. I got rid of them. Welcome to the site
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom