What's new

found these coppers today

Flyingbuy

Full Member
Joined
Apr 20, 2009
Messages
144
Reaction score
292
Golden Thread
2
Location
Berkshire County
🥇 Banner finds
2
Detector(s) used
MineLabs (Explorer ) , Tesoro (DeLeon ) ,Garrett (AT Pro Gold)
I live on Martha's Vineyard and dug these at a small field site. Not in the best condition as some of the coins I have found out here are better. Let me know what they are ? Smaller pic's this time , sorry
 

Attachments

  • coins sept 006[2].webp
    coins sept 006[2].webp
    11.5 KB · Views: 341
  • coin 1.webp
    coin 1.webp
    10.5 KB · Views: 328
  • coins sept 007.webp
    coins sept 007.webp
    9.2 KB · Views: 320
  • coins sept 009.webp
    coins sept 009.webp
    12.1 KB · Views: 319
  • coins sept 015.webp
    coins sept 015.webp
    20.6 KB · Views: 322
  • coins sept 017.webp
    coins sept 017.webp
    16.5 KB · Views: 317
REALLY BIG COPPERS! Try resizing your pics, way too big to see on my 19 inch screen...........NGE
 
Upvote 0
Whoops, just resized them for you and I see you managed it :headbang:
Also, try and avoid a light background for your pics. Use a dark blue background in natural light.
Mike
 
Upvote 0
trikikiwi said:
Whoops, just resized them for you and I see you managed it :headbang:
Also, try and avoid a light background for your pics. Use a dark blue background in natural light.
Mike
Thanks , I'm still learning how best to shoot these coins for uploading and detail.
 
Upvote 0
Image 007 appears to be the rare 1793-1796 Liberty Cap (US) large cent. If so, you have an historic and monetary valuable coin. DO NOT ATTEMPT TO CLEAN IT. Others here can confirm (or not) this ID and how to treat the coin.
Don.......
 
Upvote 0
Mackaydon said:
Guessing your bottom coin is an Irish Half Penny similar to this:
http://home.eckerd.edu/~oberhot/eg2hpbg.jpg

Another source reference is here: http://www.irishcoinage.com/MILL3CAT.HTM
Thanks Don, I have ben trying to look this coin up in a book I have and concluded that it is Irish. It has the date 1724 and the letters DEI above the head suggesting it may be a woods half penny. These coins make a total of ten coins ( all big coppers ) that I've found in this small field.
 
Upvote 0
Flyingbuy said:
Mackaydon said:
Guessing your bottom coin is an Irish Half Penny similar to this:
http://home.eckerd.edu/~oberhot/eg2hpbg.jpg

Another source reference is here: http://www.irishcoinage.com/MILL3CAT.HTM
Thanks Don, I have ben trying to look this coin up in a book I have and concluded that it is Irish. It has the date 1724 and the letters DEI above the head suggesting it may be a woods half penny. These coins make a total of ten coins ( all big coppers ) that I've found in this small field.
Yup, it is a Wood's, either halfpenny or farthing depending on the size. Nice!
 
Upvote 0
The Liberty Cap appears to be a 1795 Large Cent, hard to say with certainty, but by the position of the date it matches one of the varieties of that year for position of the numbers.

Don
 
Upvote 0
Don in SJ said:
The Liberty Cap appears to be a 1795 Large Cent, hard to say with certainty, but by the position of the date it matches one of the varieties of that year for position of the numbers.

Don
Thanks Don, I will be going back to this site today and will post anything I find this evening. I'll consider these coins solved, thanks again !!!!!!
 
Upvote 0
Good digs! The 1724 Woods Hibernia is much more uncommon to dig than the 1723. The 24 is the key date so to speak.
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom