jnkhntr said:I got this at a yard sale but I'm clueless as to what it is. It is hinged and opens and closes as the pictures show ( I hope.)
The 645 is the only mark.
It would be cool to see a picture of yours.ckopoct said:It is a bread server. (it should be lightly spring loaded to keep it open) My wife has one. We used to be in the diplomatic corps and entertained a lot, so she has every silver serving piece known to man. Yours is a very nice one.
lostcauses said:ckopoct
Does yours have a maker, the hing knobs appear to be the same on the original post.
ckopoct said:lostcauses said:ckopoct
Does yours have a maker, the hing knobs appear to be the same on the original post.
Mine has no markings at all. It is a more modern piece that was probably made in India. I can't recall where my wife picked it up, but if I know her, it was probably an estate sale. Bread servers are a thing of the past, not in common use today. The original poster's looks like it could actually be an antique piece.
Thanks Montana Jim and good call on the serving piece. (I'm retired USAF too.)