What's new

Geology question....

TerryC

Gold Member
Joined
Jun 26, 2008
Messages
7,855
Reaction score
11,225
Golden Thread
0
Location
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Geological maps of an area have different colors representing different rocks. They also have a short "code" on the rock form. This is a standard system, I'm sure. Can anyone tell me or direct me to where I can get the list of what code denotes what rock? Not easy to find. Tnx. ╦╦Ç
 
....Is this what you are looking for ?

Geotechnical Gauge,Gauge,Geology,Soil color chart

I believe Munsell printed a chart also.
....Mark.
No, Mark. Not quite. It would have abbreviations like.... Qb.... Tu..... Tvsc..... stuff like that, explaining what the rock is. Each type of rock would have a color. VERY much appreciate the reply, though. ╦╦Ç
 
We are getting closer! The list must be much larger as I have seen indexes of rock types that were much longer. Here's the deal.... I bought four "footprints" from Bunk bunksarizonaprospecting.com Each "print" has a geological map. Listed are the rock types on the map..... but no description of the rock(s) on the map. I know there must be a complete listing somewhere. It WILL be coming shortly! thx agn guys for the help. ╦╦Ç
 
At 276.00, I'll wait 'til next month, Mack. Tnx agn. ╦╦Ç
 
I'd copy just those two pages and use the abbreviation code on the maps of the particular areas you may be searching.
Don........
I checked some of the terms against the "prints'" list to find the list I'm looking for is still eluding me. But..... I hit on the way I will find it. I will head on up to the Ranger station up near Avery, CA and check with the resident geologist. Go to the "source" so to speak. Found a couple of local rocks that I will post in Gold Prospecting tomorrow. Watch for it! ╦╦Ç
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom