✅ SOLVED Guitar at Goodwill should I buy it?

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Kalamazoo looks original. IMG_20160619_165523.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
I would imagine the Moline store in Illinois sold a lot of guitars in 1939 so its most likely not Louies or Louies fathers personal guitar. But you never know.

If I could find a photo of either of them with a KG-11 guitar in their hand would be pretty good.

louis bellson quotes.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Moline Heritage Walking Tour incls. Bellson Music Co.

View attachment 1330435

May 14, at the exact location of the former Bellson Music Co., 1711 5th Ave., Moline Illinois.

View attachment 1330436

Here, during the tour, local musician Josh Duffee gave demonstrations on the work of drummer Louie Bellson, whose father (Louis, Sr.) had owned the store which employed all the Bellson children. Check out the flyer for music lessons at prices hard to beat!

View attachment 1330437

Could Louis Sr. have given music lessons with this actual Kalamazoo guitar?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Moline Heritage Walking Tour incls. Bellson Music Co.

moline heritage tour.jpeg

May 14, at the exact location of the former Bellson Music Co., 1711 5th Ave., Moline Illinois.

Moline_Walk_Tour_1_cropped.gif

Here, during the tour, local musician Josh Duffee gave demonstrations on the work of drummer Louie Bellson, whose father (Louis, Sr.) had owned the store which employed all the Bellson children. Check out the flyer for music lessons at prices hard to beat!

Moline_Walk_Tour_5_resized.gif

Could Louis Sr. have given music lessons with this actual Kalamazoo guitar?

Upvote 0

GeoW

Jul 12, 2005
Coastal Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II, XP Deus, XP ORX, Nautilus DMCllBa, Troy X5 Shadow, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Outlaw
Don't for a minute think you have taken advantage of a charitable organization. Goodwill is a for profit corporation, CEO makes $500,000 annually, employs handicapped workers for a fraction of minimum wage. Overall a disgusting organization of leaches.

Off my chest now... Off my soapbox. ��

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Don't for a minute think you have taken advantage of a charitable organization. Goodwill is a for profit corporation, CEO makes $500,000 annually, employs handicapped workers for a fraction of minimum wage. Overall a disgusting organization of leaches.

Off my chest now... Off my soapbox. ��
OK thanks. I didnt know that. I do know that their prices have gone way up and I have a bunch of worthless items that they wont return and I will be donating back so they can re-sell to some other poor bargain hunter.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
How many members can see the images in post#63 above? (I had to rewrite it all in post #64)

Upvote 0

finderskeepers

Jul 26, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
Boxes on sticks, that go beep
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
How many members can see the images in post#63 above? (I had to rewrite it all in post #64)

If you "rewrote it all" and the photos in post #64 have different attachment numbers...why wouldn't the links in post #63 not work???

invalid.jpg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
If you "rewrote it all" and the photos in post #64 have different attachment numbers...why wouldn't the links in post #63 not work???

View attachment 1330615
I dont know thats what Im trying to find out. I reposted the images in reply #64 but its getting to be annoying having to type it all over again and repost the pictures. The moderator says it looks good on his end. Its been this way for years, actually from day one, and Im trying to get them to try and fix it because I dont think its right. Thanks

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:

View attachment 1330615
?????? I just realized you wrote a double negative in bold print lol so now I dont understand what that means because i dont think its proper English. I dont understand your question the way you wrote it because it doesnt make sense..???

I posted 4 different images in reply#63 and all 4 disappeared. So I had to re-post the whole dang thing in reply#64. Each photo in succession has a different attachment number. In reply #64 they are the same 4 photos.

BTW I like your profile name Finderskeepers. Thats the way I feel about this guitar. :laughing7:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

finderskeepers

Jul 26, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
Boxes on sticks, that go beep
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
?????? I just realized you wrote a double negative in bold print lol so now I dont understand what that means because i dont think its proper English. I dont understand your question the way you wrote it because it doesnt make sense..???

I posted 4 different images in reply#63 and all 4 disappeared. So I had to re-post the whole dang thing in reply#64. Each photo in succession has a different attachment number. In reply #64 they are the same 4 photos.

BTW I like your profile name Finderskeepers. Thats the way I feel about this guitar. :laughing7:

FWIW...I agree. You have every reason to feel nothing but excitement about your treasure :)

Yup, didn't fully realize the double negative. What I meant was... I would not expect those links to work after they have been edited as the path/name has been changed (has it not??). The screenshot I posted is what shows after I click on the highlighted text in your post that says something along the lines of..." Attachment 1330435" (or similar).

You indicated in another post, that the problem might be worse than you thought and showed my screenshot as an example. Just want to make sure all of the clues in your mystery are presented accurately to you and the folks that run the site. I am not a tech person in any way,shape, or form; but have spent about 25 years zipping around the internet.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
FWIW...I agree. You have every reason to feel nothing but excitement about your treasure :)

Yup, didn't fully realize the double negative. What I meant was... I would not expect those links to work after they have been edited as the path/name has been changed (has it not??). The screenshot I posted is what shows after I click on the highlighted text in your post that says something along the lines of..." Attachment 1330435" (or similar).

You indicated in another post, that the problem might be worse than you thought and showed my screenshot as an example. Just want to make sure all of the clues in your mystery are presented accurately to you and the folks that run the site. I am not a tech person in any way,shape, or form; but have spent about 25 years zipping around the internet.

Thank you for trying to help with this matter. So you are saying it's normal for an image to disappear after editing for spelling or whatever?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Then you need to research here....Gibson-Made Brands (scroll down) as will I.

After some reading the info in the link ^^is off!:BangHead: They list a few Kalamazoo's as having 14 frets....when you can count 19! What the...:BangHead:
I guess I need to drag out my guitar books...I don't know if I have a Kalamazoo book or not. Maby my vintage guitar blue books will provide some light.

They apparently are counting only to the body of the guitar. According to Mr. Spann, the Gibson records say that its a KG-11. My frets match the KG-11 picture. Everything matches except for the flat-topped peghead. Mine is the "roof peaked" type. Whats up with that?

KG-11 - Flat-top Guitar - 1933-1939 (above right)
Small body: 14 ¾”W x 17 ½” L
Mahogany B&S and Spruce Top
Rosewood fingerboard & bridge
Flat peghead shape with Kalamazoo logo
14-fret mahogany neck
Early versions had "zipper" sound hole binding ('33-34)
Most had single ivoroid SH binding ('35-38)
Flat-topped peghead shape with Kalamazoo logo

guitar and case.jpg kalamazoo KG-11.png

Sorry about the bottom pic. I tried to remove it.

Attachments

• guitar case find.jpg
    guitar case find.jpg
    850.7 KB · Views: 54
Upvote 0

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Keene A52 with Gold Hog mats
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well maybe you have this one.

KHG-11 - Flat-top Hawaiian Guitar - 1935-1939
Same body as KG-11
Wide 12-fret neck
Elevated strings for Hawaiian lap-style
Straight non-compensated saddle
"Roof peak" peghead shape with Kalamazoo logo

5552bbef5a1c637846938820e7f366df.jpg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Well maybe you have this one.

KHG-11 - Flat-top Hawaiian Guitar - 1935-1939
Same body as KG-11
Wide 12-fret neck
Elevated strings for Hawaiian lap-style
Straight non-compensated saddle
"Roof peak" peghead shape with Kalamazoo logo

View attachment 1330970
ebay pic sony 402.JPG

Nope the frets and fret markings dont match. I have 14 frets by the way they count.

Attachments

• ebay pic sony 402.JPG
    ebay pic sony 402.JPG
    741.5 KB · Views: 69
Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Could I have the Kalamazoo Sport Model? I cant read the dimensions in the flyer. Looks like it says 18-1/2 inch something.

guitar sport model.jpg

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions