✅ SOLVED Guitar at Goodwill should I buy it?

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Kalamazoo looks original. IMG_20160619_165523.jpg

Last edited:

SkaBa

Jul 26, 2014
CenTex
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BCH, not a wild a$$ guess. The nut extender and the high bridge are only used in a lap steel set up. This brings the strings higher so the the slide/bar does not push the strings down and touch the frets. Also, everybody and I mean everybody were playing lap steel guitars in the time frame of your guitars manufacture. The first electric guitars were lap steels. If you couldn't afford an electric lap steel and amplifier, or you liked the accoustic version, you could convert a normal guitar with a steel nut extender and sometimes a higher bridge.

I had already asked this question, and releventchair asked again, is it possible this was custom built?

Also, a V neck would prevent playing in a standard method. Not only awkward, but painful after a short time playing.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
BCH, not a wild a$$ guess. The nut extender and the high bridge are only used in a lap steel set up. This brings the strings higher so the the slide/bar does not push the strings down and touch the frets. Also, everybody and I mean everybody were playing lap steel guitars in the time frame of your guitars manufacture. The first electric guitars were lap steels. If you couldn't afford an electric lap steel and amplifier, or you liked the accoustic version, you could convert a normal guitar with a steel nut extender and sometimes a higher bridge.

I had already asked this question, and releventchair asked again, is it possible this was custom built?

Also, a V neck would prevent playing in a standard method. Not only awkward, but painful after a short time playing.
Im sorry if I misunderstood you, I seriously am. . But one post you are apologizing and the next post you seem to be chastising me with words like "told you" and "OBVIOUSLY" in caps. Yes I found an object in the case and had it IDed here http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/what/506776-what.html as a nut extender. Thats old news and maybe you thought I missed it, so you get a pass with the I "told you" stuff..

Let me update for you and anybody else that is not following this thread. I am trying to determine the model of this 1939 Kalamazoo guitar. Its either a KG-11 or a KHG-11. The H is for Hawaiian.

The nut extender I found laying in the guitar case doesn't prove one way of another. But if this was a Hawaiian factory model, why would it need an aftermarket nut extender?? The new owner took the guitar to a guitar shop and he says the low nut on the guitar is original. That's the "obvious" reason for the aftermarket nut extender. He also said the V neck was typical of steel lap guitars, which seems contradicting as does the roof top peghead.. The bridge looks high but could have been easily replaced after factory as its a white bone piece that simply falls or slides out when the strings are replaced..

I have asked the question myself if its custom built. The question was presented to the guitar shop. He says he doubts Gibson would custom make a $12 Kalamazoo. Keep in mind these were cheap depression era guitars, although they were made by Gibson and with great material and craftsmanship. The best guess so far, I think, is that Gibson used up old stock and put a Hawaiian neck/peghead on an acoustic guitar. I think the low nut, with aftermarket extender proves its NOT set up lap steel from the factory.

No problem as far as Im concerned SkaBa, keep posting, I think it was just a misunderstanding.

There is also the possibility that V necks were common on acoustic guitars in this time period. This is a theory that needs study if anybody wants to research it. I think I need to send another email to the expert Joe Spann, or buy his book. :laughing7:
gibson book joe spann.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
I have decided to remove SOLVED. Im going to keep an open mind that the possibility still exists that it may be a factory Hawaiian guitar because there is contradicting evidence. But the Gibson factory number in Joe Spanns book says otherwise.

Upvote 0

AU Seeker

Bronze Member
Oct 14, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
E-Track, MXT, CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BCH,

When you first started this topic and I was doing research on the subject to help ID the guitar I came across a website where it was stated that Gibson did indeed at times use up various parts that they had on hand to keep production going on the Kalamazoo line of guitars, even to the extent of using some excess parts that were originally for Gibson guitars, I'll see if I can find the site again.

So I think it very possible that on your guitar they very well could of installed a V neck from a KHG-11 and with a fretboard for a KG-11 because it was what they had on hand at the time, which still produced a very playable guitar.

I'm of the thought also that back during that period of hard times that Gibson may have very well produced a few "custom" Kalamazoo guitars, most companies back then went out of their way to please a customer to make a sell and I don't think it would cost Gibson any extra time to do a custom Kalamazoo guitar, a guitar neck is a guitar neck and the time and procedure to install one would be much the same no matter the style of the neck, and when you think about it $12 during the Depression was most of a person's weekly paycheck and that's if they had a job at all, in 1939 the average factory worker averaged around 48.9 cents an hour, so for a 40 work week they brought home a paycheck of less than $20.

Upvote 0

Breezie

Gold Member
Oct 3, 2009
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & Spectrum~Garrett's Pro-Pointer~VibraProbe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Truthfully I havent played since the 70s and Im not going to now. I purchased it simply for profit. Should I feel bad about profitting from a Goodwill store? They put the price on it, not I. ....I paid what they were asking.

Do you think this is the original case? I think its cardboard.

Ill make a donation when I get a chance.

Goodwill Industries makes about 5 billion dollars a year, so I wouldn't be concerned about the $20.00 for the guitar. Great score on the guitar! :thumbsup:

:)
Breezie

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Here is something on Fender V neck Stratocasters. I owned a 60s Strat and I wish I hadn't sold it for $200 but this was before the days of internet... Its seems the V neck is a matter of preference. Fender V-Neck Stratocaster And C-Neck Stratocaster « Deluxe Guitar It seems that 50s Fender Strats may have come standard with the V neck. I dont have time at this moment to search Gibson.

When the Strat was introduced the neck was a V-shape and was later changed to a C-shape because of player feedback to Fender asking for a more comfortable neck shape. That change alone created a lot of different opinions about neck shape for the Stratocaster. I’m sure you’ve heard people say “Nothing plays like those old 50’s Fender Stratocasters!” Part of the reason for the difference in playability is the fact that that 50’s Strats had a V-shape neck.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SkaBa

Jul 26, 2014
CenTex
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BCH, glad you removed the 'Solved'. I hope you can truly find the ID of that guitar.

I would like to see the outcome, but I think it is probably a factory 'Frankenstein' or custom made since it has been so hard to identify.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
BCH, glad you removed the 'Solved'. I hope you can truly find the ID of that guitar.

I would like to see the outcome, but I think it is probably a factory 'Frankenstein' or custom made since it has been so hard to identify.
Im reading that the KHG-11 Hawaiian model came with a factory high nut and the nut on mine is very low. I believe I also have the non Hawaiian saddle because my saddle is curved. (see saddle pics below) http://steelguitarforum.com/Forum2/HTML/009324.html
QUOTE FROM ABOVE LINK: It's a 1930's Hawaiian model made to be played lap style with a higher nut and saddle (which is straight) than the KG-11 and it is 12 frets to the body.

http://www.guitarpartsandmore.com/?...2&name=Unbleached_Vintage_Bone_Guitar_Saddles guitar saddles.jpg

But I thought about it and decided to keep an open mind. And thanks for your opinions. However I think its solvable. I think I will find the answer if I join some of the guitar forums or send another email to Joe Spann. I also dont think its a Hawaiian guitar, (mine is 14 frets, low nut, curved saddle, ladder braced) and its just a hunch but Im betting we will find this V neck/ roof top peghead was often used on the KG-11.

...Kalamazoo's were Gibson's cheaper line of guitars. The Spanish style KG-11 and KG-14 guitars that I have seen are all 14 fret guitars. The guitars have Mahogany back and sides with a spruce top and are ladder braced.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Here is a KHG Hawaiian converted to a Spanish style play.. But it still has 12 frets

This originally Hawaiian guitar has been beautifully converted for Spanish style play; The neck has been reset, the original bridge re-worked with a compensated saddle and the nut lowered,
Retrofret - Kalamazoo KHG-14 Flat Top Acoustic Guitar (1936) - Brooklyn, NY

this converted Hawaiian also has no stamped factory number. And the V neck is a lighter wood. KHG-11 converted.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
I may have found the answer...maybe.

If 1939 was around the year of the new model KG-12, Im thinking I have a 1939 KG-11 body with a late 1939/1940 KG-12 neck. My peghead is not "roof top" (see above post) that was my mistake, I have the new "pointed dome" type peghead! (see below) There is a difference in the style between roof top and pointed dome and it explains everything and everything fits. And it explains why the Gibson records have my EK-1335 pointed dome peghead as a KG-11. What y'all guitar experts think?

kalamazoo2.jpg

KG-12 - Flat-top Guitar - 1939-1943

Same body size as KG-14 – 14 ¾”W x 19 ¼”L

Natural mahogany back and sides, spruce top
"Mist-Brown" sunburst finish

14-fret neck & 3-on-plate style tuners with black buttons

Glued on celluloid pickguard

"Pointed dome" peghead shape with Kalamazoo logo

KG-12.jpg

The 1939 KG-12 is the first year of the pointed dome neck. Notice it says New

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
I may have found the answer...maybe.

Sounds promising.
LOL Im tired. Ill check it again tomorrow. But I think I solved it. :occasion14:

I also found this:
Never say never with Gibson, especially the Kalamazoo's. Lot's of interesting/weird hybrids out there.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Sorry to keep bumping this up but the only thing unexplained is the V neck. But Im theorizing that the V neck was popular with these old guitars as the old Fenders had V necks and Im finding examples of non-Hawaiian Gibson Kalamazoos on eBay with V necks.

Here is a 1940 KG-12 example on eBay thats also not a Lap Steel with a low nut but high action, 14 frets, V neck and the same pointed peghead. Hard to see but looks like a DK factory number.
1940 Gibson Kalamazoo KG 12 Vintage Acoustic Sunburst w Case USA | eBay

Kalamazoo / Gibson 1940 KG 12
Made in the USA in 1940
Sunburst color looks great / No breaks or cracks / There is a hump behind the bridge
Action is high and can be brought down on the bridge
Neck is straight considering the age / frets look excellent
A true great sounding vintage instrument
3 lbs 2 oz / Great feeling V neck

My guitar has an EK 1939 factory number stamped on the back of the 1940 "pointed dome" peghead. How can that be explained? It was delivered in August of 1939 according to Gibson records, so I believe its a standard 1939 GK-11 body with a late 1939/1940 GK-12 neck, with the glued on celluloid pick guard. Im gonna mark it SOLVED.

Gibson-Made Brands

Attachments

• guitar KG-11.jpg
    guitar KG-11.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 133
  • guitar KG-12.jpg
    guitar KG-12.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 159
Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
I just realized if the guitar above on eBay has a DK stamped (pic below) on the back of the pointed dome peghead. This would be substantial proof that this peghead was stamped in 1938 (see wording below).

guitar FON number.jpg

So the pointed dome was used in 1938-39 as well as 1940. So apparently all KG-11's are not flat topped pegheads! It appears a lot of mix and match as well as overlap in the Gibson Kalamazoo datelines.

Attachments

• guitar DK number.jpg
    guitar DK number.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread