What's new

Hammer Stone and Pecking stone/Polishing Stone

monsterrack

Silver Member
Joined
Apr 15, 2013
Messages
4,429
Reaction score
5,831
Golden Thread
0
Location
Southwest Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett, and Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is a perfect example of what I call a hammer stone that was used for knapping points and other hand hammering jobs. Asst. artifacts 008.webpAsst. artifacts 009.webpAsst. artifacts 010.webpThis next tool I think may be a pecking, polishing, or shaping stone. I have never found anything like it before or seen any tool like it. Do you guys have any ideasAsst. artifacts 004.webpAsst. artifacts 005.webpAsst. artifacts 006.webpAsst. artifacts 007.webp
 
Upvote 0
Cool finds, the second piece does look like a pecking stone or billet, interesting tool. Thanks for the view.
 
Well that sure sounds like a reasonable idea to me.
I have a smaller field stone I picked up a while that has a flat area that looks similar to the worked area on your piece. Then, right next to that area, it shows hammer use wear. I figured the piece both pecked and ground or polished.

I've noticed that on many grinding type stones I've found, that they also have an area that shows hammer use wear. I think that most products that the natives ground to a fine powder, flour or meal, needed to be reduced from grain to cracked grain before the grinding process began. They had to pulverize, or at least beat it up a little first

DSCN3647.webp
 
Rack here are a few of my better hammer stones.

image-2804008500.webp



image-1544938333.webp

This one I gathered hoping it was a loaf stone. Pretty sure it's a hammer or in the hammer family

image-2573879210.webp



image-1517560349.webp



image-2298036015.webp

This piece is rubbed smooth sorta like your second row pics.

image-774029199.webp



image-4173306486.webp



image-3261105884.webp

This piece is one my dad found years ago. It's been around as long as I can remember. He always claimed it was for smoothing hides and such. It may be a rock and nothing more. If so, I'll let him keep his illusion. Lol!

image-801195219.webp



image-2488066351.webp



image-2172468021.webp



image-1864718941.webp
 
Here is a handful of examples I have found. These are all so different, I don't think shape was as important as hardness or density.

DSCN3651.webp
 
It sure looks like it was used for something. I found one sort of like that, think mine was used for "crushing"...maybe?RSCN4044.webpRSCN4045.webpRSCN4051.webp
 
hey rack
i have the twin to that piece in the second image............plus a load of that kind
 
Hey rack it sure does look like polishing stones I find on sites at the river I've also thought they were preform chunks of what would b a bird or bannerstone a lot of times they are made of very pretty hard stone yours looks orange in color ?
 
Here are some of mine
 

Attachments

  • image-187947419.webp
    image-187947419.webp
    37.3 KB · Views: 629
Yessir all shapes and sizes. Amazing how many a guy can accumulate.
 
No joke I got 3 buckets lol I puck them up idk why lol
 
I repurpose them into door stops, paper weights, I got one in a window to keep the screen from rattling in the wind, useful little critters...lol
 
I like that outlaw haha
 
I remember when people used grooved axe heads as door stops. Don't see much of that any more. I picked up a big hammer stone yesterday. It has a crack in it that looks to be ancient damage. I don't have a pic of it.
 
I have a friend that used to use a big ol axe with some damage to keep the top of his outdoor grill from blowing away. His dad used the 13 pound 3/4 groove hammer I now have for a doorstop. I shamed him into finding a better place for it.:-) Now I have it.
 
Pecking stone

Heres a pecking stone from Maine.I thought it to be a game ball.But recently found out differently.I still have it labeled as a gaming ball and need to change it when i get a chance.ForumRunner_20121206_181322.webp
 
Heres what i would call hammer stone.Dont know for sure though.

ForumRunner_20140103_084233.webp
 
Here a pretty cool one from illinois.It looks to me like it may have been repurposed from maybe a celt after it was broke.Who knows but there is no doubt it was doing some hammering....

ForumRunner_20140103_090217.webp



ForumRunner_20140103_090249.webp



ForumRunner_20140103_090313.webp



ForumRunner_20140103_090336.webp
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom