Basically tried my best to wear my ATP down to a nub...several small repairs (arm cuff and control assy. falling off)...finally the headphones were starting to go south about the same time Garrett was telling me that the AT Max was going to be my savior. So I ordered one up..and....how do I say this? For starters, it is not even close to the ATP...operational-wise..But please know i am trying my best to give it a try. Tones are different and vdi numbers are different. When does a clad dime bounce from 78-90 on an ATP? NEVER....It did find me a nice silver ring Friday, but everything I've dug so far I could've found with the Pro. I do like the depth the Max offers in All Metal mode. I'm not giving up on this thing, something tells me I just haven't got the hang of all the extra bells and whistles. If any other Max users want to reply, offer tips or simply talk detecting, please do so. Thx for listening, Ddf.