collectorconor

Dec 20, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett Euroace
Teknetics EuroTek Pro
Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi.I have a lot of fields beside me that would probobally bring up very interesting things,but the problem is,we havent the first clue who owns them?There is only one field that has a "trespassers will be prosecuted" sign and obviously i daren't go in there.But all other fields don't have a sign,and have no animals in them,but we dont know who owns them.Is it okay if i chance detecting in those fields,as these are the only places near me that are suitable for detecting.As long as i respect the place i'm in (cover in my holes),etc,is it alright if i detect there?8-)

Muddyhandz

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2012
In da bush
Detector(s) used
Fisher's 1266X, 1270X & 1280X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You could probably get away with it for awhile but when the landowner shows up or a neighbor sees you and calls the cops, you have screwed things up.
Prosecution, bad image, angered landowners are some of the consequences. Plus it's theft to take objects from someone's land without consent.
There's always a way to find out who owns what. Not that difficult just ask around.
Imagine getting permission and the landowner hooks you up with the adjoining properties.
Do the right thing. There's enough nighthawks and other criminals taking people's trust away.
We don't need anymore mistrust in this world!
Good luck.
Dave.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
A land owner generally knows who owns the land next to his. Ask the closest occupied lot owner. Frank

111-1 profile.jpg

calisdad

Bronze Member
Sep 8, 2010
Groveland, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your County Recorders Office has all the information you need. Just go in, be friendly and ask. It's public record.

Rob in KS

Aug 21, 2006
Middle of Kansas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Somebody pays the property taxes and that info is online in some counties. Also look at historic map works. Don't go without permission even if the field is fallow.

Rob in KS

Aug 21, 2006
Middle of Kansas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just buy a county plat map that shows the property, and name of owner.

Oops, I forgot about that one. Around here you can get them at the title insurance office. I think they're $35 and cover the whole county.

Hopefully the landowner is local so you can knock on his door. I rarely get turned down that way.

Last edited:

Dick Stout

Mar 23, 2006
Southwest
Detector(s) used
MXT, V3
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most every county/city has a tax database that is available to the public.....you can almost always find out the owner's name and address. Very easy process....

DS
www.stoutstandards.com

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread