What's new

Help ID

darryl

Full Member
Joined
Oct 13, 2012
Messages
150
Reaction score
21
Golden Thread
0
This was found in pearl river county, Mississipi- it's 2 1/2 " length and 1" at widest point .

image-2392301474.webp

appreciate any help with identifying this artifact.
 

Attachments

  • image-2356015257.webp
    image-2356015257.webp
    28.9 KB · Views: 114
  • image-1473375557.webp
    image-1473375557.webp
    21.1 KB · Views: 108
  • image-1923541135.webp
    image-1923541135.webp
    18.3 KB · Views: 112
Upvote 0
Paleo knife maybe. Rather crudely made.
 
interesting pc... definitely a fluted paleo knife
 
SOHIO said:
interesting pc... definitely a fluted paleo knife

Thanks SOHIO- appreciate your help-
 
Definitely put that with Paleo finds. Now lets see if we can type it.
 
image-1081345869.webp

A few more artifacts from pearl river county mississippi
 

Attachments

  • image-4072474118.webp
    image-4072474118.webp
    54.9 KB · Views: 106
I might have to make a trip there some day. Very fine work on those.
 
rock said:
I might have to make a trip there some day. Very fine work on those.

Thanks Rock- I've really enjoyed the hunt-it's addictive-
 
Thanks Rock- I've really enjoyed the hunt-it's addictive-

You got that rite. I have gone twice this week. First time I didnt find anything but flakes so I had to go again and maybe this will hold me for a while.
 
Please don't take me wrong, I'm not a naysayer at all but I gotta say that tools made with "turd" stone are often looked upon as Paleo because of the crude construction. A rough look doesn't necessarily mean Paleo. I have seen many Fort Ancient tools constructed with turd stone that have been mistaken for Paleo simply because they have a rough look. The majority of Paleo tools are artwork in our eyes, not to say that they didn't make some crude stuff. Lacking context and a complete assessment of the flaking pattern, I wouldn't let what looks to be a "flute" sway me in the Paleo direction on this one. It's a cool piece for damn sure and I hope that it is Paleo, I know what it would mean to anyone that found it.
 
If the other artifacts that are pictured in this thread are from the same area and found in similiar "context", I would have to say definately not Paleo. The overall shape and that possible flute do ever so slightly trend in the Paleo direction but when compared to the other non turd stone pieces which have similar flaking patterns, I'm thinking something else. It's just too hard to make a definitive call by looking at the images.
 
I believe the T stone is Coastal Plains Chert. Not my favorite type but for that type of stone they are made super. I have seen some real crappy ones made out of that stuff.
 
Looks like some fire pop on it. Just hard to tell not being a known type and maybe unfinished. Nice find though It is a keeper for sure. Thanks for sharing.
 
Tnmountains said:
Looks like some fire pop on it. Just hard to tell not being a known type and maybe unfinished. Nice find though It is a keeper for sure. Thanks for sharing.

Thank you Tnmountains- yeah it is a cool piece
 
1320 said:
Please don't take me wrong, I'm not a naysayer at all but I gotta say that tools made with "turd" stone are often looked upon as Paleo because of the crude construction. A rough look doesn't necessarily mean Paleo. I have seen many Fort Ancient tools constructed with turd stone that have been mistaken for Paleo simply because they have a rough look. The majority of Paleo tools are artwork in our eyes, not to say that they didn't make some crude stuff. Lacking context and a complete assessment of the flaking pattern, I wouldn't let what looks to be a "flute" sway me in the Paleo direction on this one. It's a cool piece for damn sure and I hope that it is Paleo, I know what it would mean to anyone that found it.

Lol! Turd stone? Is that real? I'm a bit naive. I don't think this one is paleo either. Secondary flaking doesn't look the course to me. I'm not the one in position to say that for sure though. I still think it has a hell gap look to it.
 
Thanks 1320- interesting piece for sure -
 
If the other artifacts that are pictured in this thread are from the same area and found in similiar "context", I would have to say definately not Paleo. The overall shape and that possible flute do ever so slightly trend in the Paleo direction but when compared to the other non turd stone pieces which have similar flaking patterns, I'm thinking something else. It's just too hard to make a definitive call by looking at the images.

my my the mouth on you
 
im gonna turn him in for cussin
 
SOHIO said:
im gonna turn him in for cussin

They all come from the same area - but different depths - most from 4-12 inches, but a very few at two feet- would this not make a difference in the time- possibly ?
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom