What's new

Help on age

fortbball9

Bronze Member
Joined
Aug 26, 2008
Messages
1,514
Reaction score
10
Golden Thread
0
Location
Virginia
Detector(s) used
GARRETT GTAx 550
Here is a Maryland Button,But could someone tell me the date.
Face of button has both men with hand on top of shield
Back mark Horstmann Bros. & Co / Phil
Thanks in advance!!!
 

Attachments

  • Picture 642.webp
    Picture 642.webp
    48.5 KB · Views: 363
  • Picture 643.webp
    Picture 643.webp
    46.1 KB · Views: 372
Here is a link on backmarks but I dont see yours. http://pw1.netcom.com/~jimyce/bm.html


W. H. HORSTMANN / PHILA. 1820-1850
W. H. HORSTMANN / NEW YORK 1820-1837
W. H. HORSTMANN & SONS 1843-1863
W. H. HORSTMANN & CO. / PHILA. 1864-1866
W. H. HORSTMANN & CO. / NEW YORK 1837-1847
HORSTMANN BROS & CO. / PHILA 1859-1863
HORSTMANN BROS & CO. / NEW YORK 1850-1852
HORSTMANN BROS & ALLIEN 1852-1877
HORSTMANN BROS & DRUCKER 1844-1850
HORSTMANN / PHILADELPHIA 1893-1935
 
Upvote 0
That is what I keep coming up with (1859-1863) but I thought that this would be post CW since in such good shape.
 
Upvote 0
fortbball9 said:
That is what I keep coming up with (1859-1863) but I thought that this would be post CW since in such good shape.

Maybe it was only lost 15 years ago... who knows? Those brass buttons last forever if left unmolested...

Nice find!
 
Upvote 0
well guess your stuck with a civil war era maryland button in great shape (pity :wink: huh?) how did you come by it?
 
Upvote 0
Believe it or not I paid $10.00 for it.Do you think it was a good deal.

fortbball9
 
Upvote 0
Lets put it this way about it being a good deal....I am sure that anyone on here would give you $20 for it. Although I am not suggesting it. Good buy and congrats.
 
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
$10 for that ----thats not a good deal thats a GREAT DEAL.
 
Upvote 0
yes but the great seal front are what give those away --- its the combo of certain fronts "time frame fronts" with with certain backs that make em valuible.--- of course with the great seal not being in use untill 1902 "dates" those buttons
 
Upvote 0
Nice postwar Maryland staff button. :thumbsup:

Tice dates this particular backmark c. 1880-1893.
 
Upvote 0
bigcypresshunter said:
savant365 said:
This link shows one made by scoville that is for sale at $295.00

http://www.beltplates.com/4maryland.html
The problem I have found is that all the online links suggest that Scovill backmark is Civil War era, yet I have the exact mark on Great Seal buttons that were not produced until 1902. http://pw1.netcom.com/~jimyce/bm.html
ivan salis said:
yes but the great seal front are what give those away --- its the combo of certain fronts "time frame fronts" with with certain backs that make em valuible.--- of course with the great seal not being in use untill 1902 "dates" those buttons
Hello Ivan. The link I posted is titled "Common Button Back Marks and probable dates of manufacture." I dont see anywhere that is says what is on the front. Where does it say this? This is the link that most everyone uses and other links have copied it. I think this link is unreliable at best. Am I wrong?


As far as the Maryland button, I believe its old and great find.
 

Attachments

  • scovill post 1902 great seal.webp
    scovill post 1902 great seal.webp
    13.3 KB · Views: 207
  • scovill $295 maryland seal.webp
    scovill $295 maryland seal.webp
    14.5 KB · Views: 191
Upvote 0
PBK said:
Nice postwar Maryland staff button. :thumbsup:

Tice dates this particular backmark c. 1880-1893.

HORSTMANN BROS & CO. / PHILA 1859-1863
That is what I don't understand,If Tice dates 1880-1893.The backmark list reads 1859-1863
It can't be both,So my question is which one is the right date.
Albert's Button book shows the front of the button on page 158 #11-B but not mine backmark.Only in the back of
the book in the list of makers mark is mine and 1859-1863.

fortbball9
 
Upvote 0
Your backmark is not PHILA its PHIL.
 
Upvote 0
ah the lack of "A" makes a big differance time frame wize . didn't catch that myself till it got pointed out - still "A" nice button *
 
Upvote 0
Now that make sense,I didn't even see that.I knew that I could never get a CW Era Maryland Button for $10.
I have never got a deal that good.My luck just isn't that great.
Thanks for all of the replies and the info lesson on backmarks.

fortbball9
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom