What's new

historical coin spill found in New England.

TRHNTR

Jr. Member
Joined
Jan 7, 2016
Messages
21
Reaction score
229
Golden Thread
0
Location
MASS
🥇 Banner finds
1
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sorry about my original post. I am not familiar with this site and I thought I had posted the story about the coins, but apparently I did not.
It was my first outing with a couple friends I haven’t seen in a while. trying our luck on some new permission hay fields. I found six tree coins in about a 20 foot radius, all in separate holes, I was in amazement. couldn’t believe it, grateful I we went back for three more days and pounded it and
I squeezed out two more tree coins!
 I can’t believe it 🤯 going over the site thoroughly again for the third day, The six pence was in a hole I’d already rechecked, and the three pence must’ve gotten lonely 🤓 Note to self: after you recheck your holes, make sure you remember to recheck your holes again!
that makes a total of eight Tree coins found,  unbelievable! and I it was a coin spill, but now that I think about it, that’s an awful lot of money to be carrying around. It could’ve been a stash that was spread by the plow, we can only imagine.. 😊 I still can’t believe it, I am beyond grateful and honestly speechless 🫠🙃
I had to put down my dog-sweet baby girl Cali a couple weeks ago, it never gets easier 💔
One of my friends had said to me you spent eight beautiful years with her and she gave you eight beautiful treats from heaven. Makes total sense now.😌 thank you Cali🙏
 

Attachments

  • IMG_0602.webp
    IMG_0602.webp
    1.9 MB · Views: 2,074
  • IMG_0603.webp
    IMG_0603.webp
    1.9 MB · Views: 577
  • IMG_0600.webp
    IMG_0600.webp
    4 MB · Views: 596
  • IMG_0601.webp
    IMG_0601.webp
    2.9 MB · Views: 604
  • IMG_0731.webp
    IMG_0731.webp
    778 KB · Views: 234
Last edited:
Upvote 70
I guess it might not have been a great idea to rub the date on each of the coins? I have no idea of the value or rarity since those coins are not found here on the west coast.
 
I guess it might not have been a great idea to rub the date on each of the coins? I have no idea of the value or rarity since those coins are not found here on the west coast.
What is best practice for dealing with coins like these?
 
I guess it might not have been a great idea to rub the date on each of the coins? I have no idea of the value or rarity since those coins are not found here on the west coast.
No... it would be the worst thing you can do to any coin... of any type... in any condition.
Water rinse only.
 
What is best practice for dealing with coins like these?
Having a small spray bottle of water... spray close and hard holding by the rim only...
no rubbing at all... nothing else.
You want to remove any and all sand granules from the coin by water rinse only.
 
For those who do not know...
NEVER rub a coin... ever.

Take great care when handling a coin such as these... in fact the less you touch it the better.
After spraying off... place in something cotton only... if you have to rip piece of your shirt off ... a coin like this would be worth it.
It pays to have a little plastic baggy with a strip of cotton cloth in it ... just in case you find something like these.
A kleenex is ok for temporary storage till out of the field... but cotton is the best.
BUT... you MUST remove any and all dirt/sand from it BEFORE placing in cotton.... WITH WATER ONLY>.

Remember........ One simple scratch can and will render a coin.... "scratched".... and therefore the value plummets.
 
Last edited:
What is best practice for dealing with coins like these?
I think ARC covered it. My pet peeve is the folks videoing their recovery and using gritty rubber gloved fingers to rub the date clean.

There are very valuable coins out there waiting to be found.
 
Last edited:
I see that these same pictures showed up on Facebook as well. I saw it on the Hoover Boys page. No back story there either.
 
I see that these same pictures showed up on Facebook as well. I saw it on the Hoover Boys page. No back story there either.
What about any history of interaction on that profile?
 
What about any history of interaction on that profile?

Maybe I'm not finding the right page, as the only "Hoover Boys" I can find
had it's last entry back in 2021.

Until the OP comes back and explains the find, I call BULLHOCKEY...
warning1.gif
 
Looks like someone took a Scotch-Brite pad to the dates. :laughing7:

You can lead a horse to water, but …..
Some horses are able to be lead LOL Some can not be lead anywhere
 
It would be nice to get more information from the original poster. Everything is already said about how outstanding this spill is. My stepson and I hunt colonial and have done pretty well. When I sent him a link to this post, he was pretty speechless too…
The pics I put here are but a few the items that came out of one site that has been undeveloped woods since colonial days, and is ringed by homes that date to the early 1600s till about 1740. The area was known for it trade in rum and slaves because it was on a navigable river. The pine tree large plant it heavily clipped was found by my stepson. He’s a 45-year-old correctional officer and he caught the Detecting bug from me and he’s really killing it . The town with these items were foundis so historic all the parks are off limits to Detecting.
Seeing the original post just makes me wanna grab my machine and run outside…
 

Attachments

  • IMG_0678.webp
    IMG_0678.webp
    3.2 MB · Views: 77
  • IMG_0543.webp
    IMG_0543.webp
    1.1 MB · Views: 79
  • IMG_0540.webp
    IMG_0540.webp
    1.2 MB · Views: 69
  • IMG_0659.webp
    IMG_0659.webp
    1.9 MB · Views: 71
  • IMG_0636.webp
    IMG_0636.webp
    127.5 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_2003.webp
    IMG_2003.webp
    2.4 MB · Views: 81
  • IMG_1779.webp
    IMG_1779.webp
    1.2 MB · Views: 79
  • IMG_1777.webp
    IMG_1777.webp
    1.2 MB · Views: 80
  • IMG_0757.webp
    IMG_0757.webp
    2.6 MB · Views: 84
It would be nice to get more information from the original poster. Everything is already said about how outstanding this spill is. My stepson and I hunt colonial and have done pretty well. When I sent him a link to this post, he was pretty speechless too…
The pics I put here are but a few the items that came out of one site that has been undeveloped woods since colonial days, and is ringed by homes that date to the early 1600s till about 1740. The area was known for it trade in rum and slaves because it was on a navigable river. The pine tree large plant it heavily clipped was found by my stepson. He’s a 45-year-old correctional officer and he caught the Detecting bug from me and he’s really killing it . The town with these items were foundis so historic all the parks are off limits to Detecting.
Seeing the original post just makes me wanna grab my machine and run outside…
Wow ... what truly amazing finds - congrats ! :hello2:
 
Magnificent!!!!
Thank you for sharing
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom