Historical map overlays?

Hunt Diggerson

Apr 11, 2021
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
How does one go about using map overlays to compare past maps with modern ones? It seems simple enough, have a transparent map of the past placed over a m:BangHead:odern one. So you can see where old roads and railroads were. Also Civil War marches, retreats and campgrounds and what is actually there today.
I just have trouble with old maps because there is no reference point to the present.

Help!http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/images/smilies/BangHead.gif

Noah_D

Bronze Member
Dec 14, 2017
Illinois (prev. NE Ohio)
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex+, Garrett ACE 300, Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You can do that in google earth pro. It's free to download and all you need to do is find a couple roads or other reference points that haven't changed since that time period and drag it around/distort it until it fits. Bigger maps can give you problems though, not 100% sure why but I think it sometimes might be a projection issue.

Historic Map Works also has a lot of maps that are already overlaid. http://www.historicmapworks.com/Browse/Maps/

Last edited:
OP
OP
H

Hunt Diggerson

Apr 11, 2021
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Wow! Thanks, I knew someone would know. That opens up alot of possibilities and also saves alot of time and gas.

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Wow! Thanks, I knew someone would know. That opens up alot of possibilities and also saves alot of time and gas.

Not the least of which is "ground truthing" which allows you to accurately locate old roads or landmarks that no longer exist . . . like an old fairground, school, or church.

You can do the same to (if your reference map is old enough) map out some of the old Indian trails if you are looking for Trail Trees like I used to do. These should not be confused with the "hoot owl trees" of outlaws - those are the ones that mark treasure.

OP
OP
H

Hunt Diggerson

Apr 11, 2021
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Not the least of which is "ground truthing" which allows you to accurately locate old roads or landmarks that no longer exist . . . like an old fairground, school, or church.

You can do the same to (if your reference map is old enough) map out some of the old Indian trails if you are looking for Trail Trees like I used to do. These should not be confused with the "hoot owl trees" of outlaws - those are the ones that mark treasure.

Ground truthing, you say. Well I like the way that rolls of the pallet. Thats what I always thought would be an awesome way to save hours of guess =work and research, just didnt no how to do it...or what it was called
I was all: "Ground truthing?! The hell you say!"
Btw, scored Google Earth pro, and was ****ing floored by it. I have always heard of GE, but to immerse yourself in it is intense, and addictive. I got so sidetracked studying all my familiar haunts, like some omniscient being, I forgot all about the map overlays.
Thanks for the tips. Too bad they don't make "stone detectors" That would be money.

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Ground truthing, you say. Well I like the way that rolls of the pallet. Thats what I always thought would be an awesome way to save hours of guess =work and research, just didnt no how to do it...or what it was called
I was all: "Ground truthing?! The hell you say!"
Btw, scored Google Earth pro, and was ****ing floored by it. I have always heard of GE, but to immerse yourself in it is intense, and addictive. I got so sidetracked studying all my familiar haunts, like some omniscient being, I forgot all about the map overlays.
Thanks for the tips. Too bad they don't make "stone detectors" That would be money.

I have used the process and it works. You know, many roads today are built following the path of the old roads, which followed Indian Traces, which followed game paths.

I was looking for the actual route of an old trail named Wheeler Trace. It ran from Wheeler Springs, Arkansas and crossed the Ouachita River just a few miles west of Crossett, AR. The trail began as a Buffalo Trail, and eventually became a Stage Route. Wheeler Trace took a hard west heading after it went into Louisiana eventually ending at the Sabine River. John Murrell is why that trace interested me.

In the book "Ghosts of the Saline River" written by John Moseley. It mentions John Murrell traveling from the Sabine River via Wheeler Trace through the Ouachita and Saline River bottoms to reach the Mississippi River where he allegedly robbed some gambling steam boats. I actually spoke with the author who works at UAMS. I found one of the paths he would have taken to reach the Mississippi River near modern day Eudora, AR. To get there you pass through a spot known as "Indian Switch". A still well marked Indian trace with directional Indian Trail Marker Trees shows the way starting with a dual river crossing directional tree marking a safe passage through the Ouachita River. The crossing is no longer visible because of a lock and dam at Felsenthall NWR.

A bit farther north, after crossing the Ouachita (Near Johnsville, AR) I found a neat Hoot Owl Tree located just off the original Wheeler Trace. I had seen a drawing this tree on an old map that was supposed to be related to John Murrell. Of course, I no longer have the map (should have taken a pic). That tree heads a trail that leads across the Saline River to what appears to be a Mourning Tree. Sometimes a grave marker, other times just a monument to remember someone. Despite heavy logging in the area, the tree remains. Someone either thinks it looks cool or that it is bad medicine.

I have some of these marked in my old Garmin Etrex. Too old and sick to do much about it now.

Last edited:
OP
OP
H

Hunt Diggerson

Apr 11, 2021
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have used the process and it works. You know, many roads today are built following the path of the old roads, which followed Indian Traces, which followed game paths.

I was looking for the actual route of an old trail named Wheeler Trace. It ran from Wheeler Springs, Arkansas and crossed the Ouachita River just a few miles west of Crossett, AR. The trail began as a Buffalo Trail, and eventually became a Stage Route. Wheeler Trace took a hard west heading after it went into Louisiana eventually ending at the Sabine River. John Morrell is why that trace interested me.

In the book "Ghosts of the Saline River" written by John Moseley it mentions John Morrell traveling from the Sabine River via Wheeler Trace through the Ouachita and Saline River bottoms to reach the Mississippi River where he allegedly robbed some gambling steam boats. I found one of the paths he would have taken to reach the Mississippi River near modern day Eudora, AR. To get there you pass through a spot known as "Indian Switch". A still well marked Indian trace with directional Indian Trail Marker Trees shows the way starting with a dual river crossing directional tree marking a safe passage through the Ouachita River. The crossing is no longer visible because of a lock and dam at Felsenthall NWR.

A bit farther north, after crossing the Ouachita (Near Johnsville, AR) I found a neat Hoot Owl Tree located just off the original Wheeler Trace. I had seen a drawing this tree on an old map that was supposed to be related to John Morrell. Of course, the map I no longer have (should have taken a pic). That tree heads a trail that leads across the Saline River to what appears to be a Mourning Tree. Sometimes a grave marker, other times just a monument to remember someone. Despite heavy logging in the area, the tree remains. Someone either thinks it looks cool or that it is bad medicine.

I have some of these marked in my old Garmin Etrex. Too old and sick to do much about it now.

I am truly sorry to hear you are in poor health. Youth is wasted on the young. You sound like you have lived a life worthy of a Hollywood movie. They say when your time comes, you will not regret what you have done, what you haven't. I mean, trekking through the AR. and more, literally walking in the same footsteps of our ancestors, on a real treasure hunt, looking for a tree that still exists today, is ****ing epic.
I bet after cache hunting, everything pales.
If you can't hunt anymore, you could still teach. And write. Man, I would like to read your memoirs. And, of course, there is coin-roll hunting, if you have the patience!
Anyway, thanks for the story and advice and always keep a sense of humor.
I'll keep in touch, and probably pick your brain a bit, if you'll stand for it.

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I am truly sorry to hear you are in poor health. Youth is wasted on the young. You sound like you have lived a life worthy of a Hollywood movie. They say when your time comes, you will not regret what you have done, what you haven't. I mean, trekking through the AR. and more, literally walking in the same footsteps of our ancestors, on a real treasure hunt, looking for a tree that still exists today, is ****ing epic.
I bet after cache hunting, everything pales.
If you can't hunt anymore, you could still teach. And write. Man, I would like to read your memoirs. And, of course, there is coin-roll hunting, if you have the patience!
Anyway, thanks for the story and advice and always keep a sense of humor.
I'll keep in touch, and probably pick your brain a bit, if you'll stand for it.

Actually wasn't looking for that tree, I was lead to believe it was in Louisiana. Sure wish I had kept that map! Then again, it could just be another tree he shaped to match the one on the map.

And don't get me started on coin roll hunting! The local banks have pretty much banned me from buying rolled halves. They found out I was dumping my clads at gas stations when the prices went above $4.00/ gal here. I figured, I would let them earn the money I paid for fuel by hauling all them coins back to the bank. For some reason the bank didn't think it was any funnier than the folks at the gas station and won't sell me rolls any more.

sphillips

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2008
Western NC
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So if I have a map of a state that I downloaded from the internet, somehow I can overly it on Google Earth Pro?

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
So if I have a map of a state that I downloaded from the internet, somehow I can overly it on Google Earth Pro?

Import the map into google earth and align at least 3 known locations and you should be on your way -- accuracy of the map you are overlaying will determine how good your overlay is to some extent.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread