California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good-no actually great! I really don't care if the ashes are thrown out into the winds of time actually.
I've been digging in the dirt all my life basically, 60 yrs ago looking for arrowheads, nearing 55 yrs detecting.
Have always owned the best machines as time is the only thing that can't be reproduced so the odds are have the best equipment, for the time spent digging. (just my thoughts)

But the videos from the click bait(er's) are just that, (as stated) to gleam viewers to watch their amazing BS.

Certainly the public areas are getting beat. I drive by a school/park/church look at the green grass--then the reality check comes a knock'n--there's been folks looking at that same green for 50-60yrs now.

I smile to myself and just keep driving on-my 8000 plus acres of permissions are worn-but the endless dirt to roam isn't. Random drops are there and just waiting to be dug.

Plentiful-seldom-rewarding? ALWAYS-

Private permissions=A friendly wave from the land owners-a stop and chat once in awhile-a return of a tool/part they lost, a little gift to their Mrs a bell, crotal bell on a ribbon for the Xmas tree. A gift of maple syrup, a roast, or even some berries. When the permission come before the asking is great as the reputation of a person has gone out throughout the community.

Detecting getting old never just the body, for the mind that swings the machine it's a thrill still to plant the shovel into the dirt to retrieve what lays hidden.

So I really don't care what the world does regarding this passion-live or die I really don't care either way basically.
Agreed
My look at this “problem “ is , So What?
We shall continue to enjoy our hobby and if we see it as dwindling interest in the hobby…, well, just have fewer folks as competition …!

kellyj

Sep 2, 2023
Am I wrong it seems the hobby is dying off. Too many newbies from YouTube videos, too many great machines and nobody carrying cash anymore. What’s your feelings on this?
I just joined the group here from Ontario Canada. I look forward to hearing your stories and seeing your finds. I've been detecting on and off since 1990 and started with the all audio Garret Freedom Ace which I still use occasionally to this day!
My sense is that to truly appreciate the hobby, a curiosity as to who and how our forebears went before us is needed. In other words, becoming an amateur archeologist of sorts is a good a qpproach. I live in a region where the giant farm conglomerate companies are constantly plowing under 19th century old homesteads. Just last week I found a Victorian era thimble, a Union Navy (Civil war) era button. How in the world did a Union Navy button end up in a field in Ontario?
50,000 Canadians fought for the Union during the civil war in the different service branches. My guess is the Canadian sailor who sailed on a Union warship was a great Lakes merchant mariner, (the old homestead is only 3 miles from a major Lake Erie shipping port) possibly son of the original pioneer farmer, was bored, volunteered for the Union Navy, came back to Ontario after the war, hung up his uniform and I got to find the button on the field where his house once stood. I enjoyed the old map research as much as I enjoyed actually finding the button! I further enjoy trying to imagine how awesome and adventurous the volunteer sailor's life must have been. All this thought inspired by a little button in a field. The hobby is not dead, it just needs a fresh approach. The larger focus has been on coins with relics somewhat secondary finds. Why not take a more historical and curious approach to cataloguing ancestry in addition to finding gold wedding bands on beaches and silver coins in parks as the main focus?

Last edited:

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Am I wrong it seems the hobby is dying off. Too many newbies from YouTube videos, too many great machines and nobody carrying cash anymore. What’s your feelings on this?
Depends.
History remains regardless.
For example:
When soil is removed on a project and no one detects or sifts it an opportunity is missed.
A park dating back into the 18 hundreds had piles a year or two ago another detectorist and I discussed nearby.
Same park I was in the trench for a new sidewalk in a wheelchair detecting before.
And it paid off by allowing my detector greater depth capability than before the soil was removed.
And the dirt removed and piled? For all those who detected the park prior , those piles held coins and more still. Changed in position , depth ,and profile.

I still spot a solo artist now and then being discreet and not attended by a film crew.
A duo too now and then.
The flash in the pan wannabees weed themselves out fairly quick. At least around me.
That's o.k.. They learned something about detecting.

Going on 50 years for me seeing detectors in use.
Not thinking they're too endangered.
Some youths find more interest in detecting than in publicity , it should do alright going forward.
I've tried to promote interest when detecting in public and questioned. Then sometimes "helped" by youngsters. Calmly. And off camera. You don't see that part of detecting where you're at?
Other youths stay home or hang somewhere without a care.
They can use a detector and updated technology better than I. If you tube inspires them to try it that's almost worth some of the crazy detecting stuff shown. Just have to accept the reality that treasure isn't something you hit your shins on every step because you're outside the house or apt..

cajundetector

Mar 4, 2023
I think worrying about stuff like this is a complete waste of time. If its too difficult for you to find stuff, then quit, I really don't care if there's less, or more, people out detecting. I don't metal detect for social reasons. The challenge of research and exploring new areas is half the fun for me. Even if I dont find anything I learned some history and had a great day outside. If I could go to any church, school, or public park and pop out 50 silver coins in 2 hours I don't think I would enjoy the hobby nearly as much.
Yep, one thing about this hobby that I’ve learned is if the whole experience/process isn’t appreciated and enjoyed (being outdoors, finding pulltabs, unidentifiable iron) it’s hard to stay with it. I was warned of this before I even began. I’ve taken at least 2 buddies in hunts who were sure they wanted to do this. Ask me if there still doing it now☺️

gjohn

Tenderfoot
Aug 6, 2023
Los Alamos
Detector(s) used
in order (history) - GB2, Monster 1000, Nox800, Nox900
Primary Interest:
Other
1. People are lazier now than ever
2. Inflation says laboring for a few hours to “maybe“ find a few dollars in silver, or other finds isn’t worth it.

I don’t feel that way though :)
"isn't worth it" - you get to a certain age, financial stability, and it's no longer about "worth it" ... it's all about getting out in nature, staying active, and the 'hunt'. Whether it's swinging or panning it's all about the adventure in conjunction with nature.
And it's not about how "people" are lazy now, it's the generational perspective - you raise your kids on video games to keep them occupied then complain about what they turn out like as adults.
We were raised in the woods, hunting, trapping, fishing, when pong was the closest thing to a video game - went off into the world as an adult - and now on the back side, gravitate to the interests of our youth (with better toys lol).

Nathan W

Bronze Member
Jan 14, 2023
I’m think is a kind of sub culture. It’s not a mainstream hobby/sport. I think it’s a gift to introduce it to someone. I’m 46 and I have got a good friend co worker hooked, he is 23. A 33 yr old introduced me to it. I know it’s not for everyone and it’s a lot of leg work researching if you’re looking for “older items” and physical work if you hit the rough terrain/elements. I think more people are into it than I previously thought due to meeting a good bit of people in past year near me. I think it will continue to be around with newer generations picking up on it if they have a good friend, family member to ask them “ hey do you want to come see what I find today”

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I started detecting 52+ years ago, places to hunt were a dime a dozen. Relics and other spoils were, too. As the years went on, the "let's see who we can sue" game became very popular in the courts. Hell, people will sue anybody and everybody over the stupidest things. As such, property owners became worried about liability issues if people got hurt on their property. Other relic hunters that would sneak onto the property and leave trash and open holes didn't help either. As the hobby became more popular, relic hunters migrated to more populated public areas such as tot lots, old picnic areas, parks, etc., where no permission was needed. Not that things can't still be found in those settings, but the bounty has certainly become diminished. Good, productive permissions can still be found if one wants to invest their time doing their homework and knocking on doors. Here is where newer people and some old timers give up. Rejection can be a powerful disuasion. Also, I have found that many younger people are minimalists and lack an appreciation for history ... two ingredients not conducive to metal detecting.
Understood & agreed.

Speaking of history though, can you imagine the impact of a teacher telling about history and then take a field trip with detectors? What do you think a young student would feel about actually digging up an artifact from what they've been reading?

Never understood why I never see that approach in teaching. 🤷‍♂️

McKinney_5900

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2010
It is dying, both with finds, fresh drops are thin to even find, and THEN muscle strength to keep trying. The mental burn out of interest is a natural result. Added together....I can understand why the hobby is dying.

I remember I used to bring home $2.50 to $5 in clad each hunt, with a "surprise" sometime, every hunt, for years, and those were my slow-to-bad days then, but it was invigorating. As long as I am finding a dig-able signal every 5 minutes, I never stopped. I can work a hunt spot now-days and not find even clad in possibly 10 minutes, It just ain't the same. A 71 year old body needs that "taste to the ears" every 5 minutes or so. A veteran detectorist who I learned a lot from said the same thing. He needed something interesting in 5 minutes.

I can stay out and hunt for 2 hours now and not even make coffee money. Add to that this dry hard dirt to dig with all of this drought. You know it is bad when you factor in that the tot lots aren't replenished. Jewelry is better in tot lots though, and thank. The beach hunting must be wonderful.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is dying, both with finds, fresh drops are thin to even find, and THEN muscle strength to keep trying. The mental burn out of interest is a natural result. Added together....I can understand why the hobby is dying.

I remember I used to bring home $2.50 to $5 in clad each hunt, with a "surprise" sometime, every hunt, for years, and those were my slow-to-bad days then, but it was invigorating. As long as I am finding a dig-able signal every 5 minutes, I never stopped. I can work a hunt spot now-days and not find even clad in possibly 10 minutes, It just ain't the same. A 71 year old body needs that "taste to the ears" every 5 minutes or so. A veteran detectorist who I learned a lot from said the same thing. He needed something interesting in 5 minutes.

I can stay out and hunt for 2 hours now and not even make coffee money. Add to that this dry hard dirt to dig with all of this drought. You know it is bad when you factor in that the tot lots aren't replenished. Jewelry is better in tot lots though, and thank. The beach hunting must be wonderful.
Beaches are no different in most cases.

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Today, the day after the Labor Day weekend, may be the best day of the year to beach hunt for jewelry and other goodies.
Don in SoCal.
Good luck buddy!

DirtDiggerDaveinMD

Jan 31, 2005
What a great story! I remember building various kits from them with my dad! So fun, such treasured memories...

Sounds like you had a treasured father whom supported your dreams, and did what he could to help you with them...

That’s what is lacking, that’s the root of the problem, becoming worse with each generation!

I’m not saying all Baby boomers had great fathers, but the percentage was much higher in that generation then the next... Looking back the baby boomers became the first collective Me or Metoo generation, and we are dealing with the fallout currently! Again not all of them, it’s just a percentage shift from the former to the latter...

When you bring this you, you get the well this generation just has no work ethic, yada yada yada... If you think yuppies are terrible dealing with from a boomer perspective, try being surrounded by them all through school and beyond...
Yuppies? Is it 1985 again?

DirtDiggerDaveinMD

Jan 31, 2005

I agree with this 100%. I was always a coin shooter with jewelry bonuses mixed in. I could go out on any given day hitting the local parks and school yards and pull $5-10 in clad easily. Silver was scarce, but was still out there. Now many of the places I used to hit pretty regular are mega sports complexes for Karen's kids to play soccer. Many of the local parks are off limits due to open holes.

We have a great place that has tons of foundations. Remnants of an old mill town with history dating back to mid 1700's. It used to be hit by detectorists fairly often, but people were respectful of the site and didn't trash it. Now it is off limits due to some jack-off digging huge pits looking for bottles. The icing on the cake was the idiot kids that came in and decided to spray graffiti all over some of the foundations that still had walls. The whole scene has changed. It seems every piece of open land around my area has been developed into a housing development.

I have been a member here for 18 years and detecting for about 22 years. I don't get excited about detecting anymore. I hardly read the forums these days and I have not been out in two years.

Night Stalker

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2004
Florida
Detector(s) used
Omega 8000 & Tesoro Cortes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hobby is all but dead now days here in Florida, people bug you to death if they see you swinging a coil at a park, on the beach, around a school or old home site. They'll walk 500 feet across a field just to approach you and start asking questions: What are you doing, Who told you that you could do that, does so and so know you're here, do you have permission to be here, you're killing the grass....and the list goes on. I've been approached by cops, nosey people, surrounded by kids and on lookers wondering what I'm pulling out of the sand, what's in my pockets. Definitely changed in 30+ years. I will only go out now if I have written permission, on a cool day after a long down pour of rain, at an out of eyesight location.

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I agree with this 100%. I was always a coin shooter with jewelry bonuses mixed in. I could go out on any given day hitting the local parks and school yards and pull $5-10 in clad easily. Silver was scarce, but was still out there. Now many of the places I used to hit pretty regular are mega sports complexes for Karen's kids to play soccer. Many of the local parks are off limits due to open holes.

We have a great place that has tons of foundations. Remnants of an old mill town with history dating back to mid 1700's. It used to be hit by detectorists fairly often, but people were respectful of the site and didn't trash it. Now it is off limits due to some jack-off digging huge pits looking for bottles. The icing on the cake was the idiot kids that came in and decided to spray graffiti all over some of the foundations that still had walls. The whole scene has changed. It seems every piece of open land around my area has been developed into a housing development.

I have been a member here for 18 years and detecting for about 22 years. I don't get excited about detecting anymore. I hardly read the forums these days and I have not been out in two years.
I too have been at it for 17yrs - straight at it, to be honest...1
My "handle" is eyemustdigtreasure ...
I'm an archaeologist, and rely heavily on my keen EYEball, for historic traces of man....!
Even the smallest of material, the relic still can tell a story...!
and the mustdigtreasure is my HABITUATION (i.e. Addiction) in the hobby of detecting...!
I detect three, four or more times per week, in normal weather.....few times in the dead of winter, too...!
I like relic hunting, but the coins and jewelry..., give it ALL to me...!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions