What's new

Hold still, child....

Charl

Silver Member
Joined
Jan 19, 2012
Messages
3,091
Reaction score
4,794
Golden Thread
0
Location
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
"Tell me you're not gonna ask me to frame 'em, Pa!"
 

Attachments

  • image.webp
    image.webp
    80.1 KB · Views: 285
Upvote 0
The Hopewell site.... One of my favorite pictures. That and the Mound 72 pics from Cahokia.
 
I sometimes dream of finding a big cache washed out of a creek bank after a flood, but 7,232 preforms in one cache (most of them larger than that girls hand) is hard to even dream about! It's still the largest recorded cache of artifacts known as far as I know, amazing discovery.
 
I wonder where all those are now?
 
On eBay.. as hand axes.
 
I wondered what happened to them also, what would you do back then with that many?
 
Just to find one of those would make my day, month, year, lifetime!
 
WHAT? Amazing!

Why have I never seen or heard of this before? I have the most of the old Arch./and hist. society books, and the Howes, but never saw this photo, where did you find it?

Great post.
 
I have seen pic multiple times over the years.....I wouldn't have room in my home for all of them..
 
WHAT? Amazing!

Why have I never seen or heard of this before? I have the most of the old Arch./and hist. society books, and the Howes, but never saw this photo, where did you find it?

Great post.

i don't know. Been on my hard drive for years, can't remember where I got it. I guess it's a well known photo to some. It's Warren Morehead, dated 1891. It'll likely in one if his books from that era.....
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom