Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
I may be allowed to detect here in the future. No photos but I drew this. Owner says it is from 1771, though it has a rumford fireplace (1796) with attached beehive stove. I drew it below, sorry for the crappy drawing. Is it normal for an older house to have a slightly newer fireplace?

house.png

SultansOfSwing

Dec 28, 2016
NH
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600 - & ProPointer AT-------

Back Ups: AT Pro, Tesoro Royal Sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I may be allowed to detect here in the future. No photos but I drew this. Owner says it is from 1771, though it has a rumford fireplace (1796) with attached beehive stove. I drew it below, sorry for the crappy drawing. Is it normal for an older house to have a slightly newer fireplace?

View attachment 1435554

faa5398dfbfd5c80c9ddf31a233ccecc_9261483-comment-ms-paint-meme_596-425.png

KirkS

Jan 10, 2017
St Pete FL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Tesoro Sand Shark, White's TreasurePro, Tesoro Compadre, Fisher F2 + TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I agree with Sultan...

But to your original question - Isn't 1796 old enough? Maybe the original owner finally was able to afford that fancy newfangled stove a few years after they bought the house, or it took that long to build the house, and they got to that section in 1796. But in either case, I'd be happy to hunt there.

FFFPatriot

Feb 21, 2017
Montana
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug II, 4 Kidde brand smoke detectors, and 1 carbon monoxide detector I bought from Home Depot (can't remember the brand).
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Judging by the scale size of the door in conjunction to the height of the lower floor windows, I'm not sure of the house's age, but it looks like a tall person lives on the first floor, and midgets live on the second floor.

Detecto

Mar 25, 2016
Detector(s) used
White's MXT ALL PRO 13" Detech and Eclipse 950 Coils
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Judging by the scale size of the door in conjunction to the height of the lower floor windows, I'm not sure of the house's age, but it looks like a tall person lives on the first floor, and midgets live on the second floor.

Instead of slaves, he had leprechauns! :laughing7:

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A photograph would help a lot to help us help you, and save a heap of drawing. I like your rendering of the house though!

OP
OP
coinman123

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other

Second floor has smaller windows, and the conjoin into the roof. Top floor goes to the top of the house (slanted roof).

mxtman2

Sep 25, 2004
Southern California
Detector(s) used
MXT/ Sunray probe

LOL Funniest post I've read in a while. Don't know why, but you really hit my funny bone. Still lmaof! Thank you.

TooManyHobbies

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2007
CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT,
DetectorPro HH Underwater
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LOL. That got me giggling too.

I see two chimneys, maybe the Rumford Fireplace w/beehive was the second one built later on.

OP
OP
coinman123

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other

I take pride in clicking and dragging. I am truly honored to be blessed with that much artistic talent. Have you ever seen more realistic window panes?

OP
OP
coinman123

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
My guess is that it was added later too. It stands alone in the middle of the kitchen, not built into a wall. Chimney goes straight into ceiling.

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most old homes have been altered from the original design. I would lean more on what the old map says than a fireplace which may not be original.Heck, I bet there is running water and electricity run in the home too, but that doesn't make it a modern home.

OP
OP
coinman123

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
Well. I didn't want to say this in fear of jinxing it (not superstitious but I don't want to take chances). But my family is putting a very aggressive offer on the home, It is completely renovated and restored. The family who had it for a long time were very into old houses and spent many years making this one great, now they are moving into another colonial on the same street and renovating it (it is a hobby of theirs). They had a few kids there so they made sure to make the house very safe for a newborn. Three other people are also offering on the house, the owner picks an offer tomorrow. I really hope we get it. It will also be extremely fun to metal detect. I researched the history and read that around 7 kids lived there in the 1830's, kids drop coins and relics! I have always lived in old houses, and am very happy at the chance of maybe getting this one. Wish me luck! Also, the house looks way better than my poor excuse for a drawing lol!

OP
OP
coinman123

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
Looks Georgian: 1725-1780
Pair of brick chimneys versus only one on "First Period" (1625-1725) homes.
Is the house one or two rooms deep (two deep with Georgian)?
Don.......

2 rooms deep. Thanks for the dates!

The first house I was looking to buy was a first period Georgian, the first house built in it's town. Inside it was cold and drafty though, and way too big. It was vacant for a year also, no one wanted to buy it. Many rooms don't even receive heat in it, which was a big turn off for me. Very interesting history, but not the right home for my family. The house in my original post is much better though, very cheerful and very warm inside.

Last edited:
OP
OP
coinman123

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
Also, is there a reason why the top floor and windows of the house are smaller? The top floor goes into the roof. The door is also very big, and no longer used. The house is entered by an extension. The house has a few various extensions, I am not sure if they are original or added later, my guess is that the extensions and the barn (which we will renovate to put horses in), were added sometime in the 1800's or later.

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hope you get the house not just for the detecting bit....but cause you really like it.:thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions