How accurate is your detectors ID

Re: How accurate is your detector's ID

The tone ID on the explorer II is great. Never look at the screen, I dont trust it. :thumbsup:

Thanks for reminding me, I forgot I had a screen! ;D

Hi,
On my little F2, it is very accurate if the item is a coin. Objects, of course, read differently. Scrap aluminum and pull tabs read differently depending on the size. A full can reads as a dime where an aluminum scrap will trigger as a nickle or pull tab. If you're questioning the ID on your F4, get to know the numbers very well. They are probably your most accurate indicator. These machines do not seem to have the snaps, crackles, and pops of the older machines. There is a difference in the tone quality between trash and coins, but it is not very obvious.

For TID machines I have a Tesoro DeLeon and a Whites MXT. Both are pretty accurate on coins down to 6 - 8". However some trash gets ID'ed as a coin sometimes. What I find interesting is I've never seen it the other way round - never ID'ed a coin as trash. I typically hunt listening for the signal, then check the screen. Sometimes an odd signal sound will turn out to be worth digging even if the ID doesn't agree.
luvsdux

Question for those who don't look at the screen?

Can you ever imagine doing that again? ;D I guess it's the same as someone who has used a detector with no id for years, then given a metered unit and told to start watching. :laughing9: I really don't understand why people want a little voice whispering lies into their ears, but to each their own. ;D

gambler, for those who reply that the TID isn't 100% accurate, obviously haven't seen the same commercial that you and I have seen: the Whites commercials that tell you their detectors "see what's in the ground before you dig it". :headbang:

There is a program you can put in your XLT, etc.. that the engineers haven't publically published. And of course, on a public forum like this, I can't reveal the menu selection programming either. But for anyone interested, send me $50, and I'll email you the XLT program that will allow you to effortlessly pass up tabs, foil, can-slaw, etc.. and *only* dig gold rings. :-*

Detectors never lie! They are incapable of lieing They will ALWAYS tell you what's in the ground. Thing is... it's not in the id meter.... it's in the sound! Learn what that machine is SAYING not SHOWING! After you tape over that meter (grasshopper) you might make it as a detectorist! TTC

I like sound ID's ..............I dont use screen ID'S not dependable those numbers will drive you nuts........... You see it here with questions like oh my god i got a reading of 32 on a dime i think it should be a 31 what should i do send it back it must need fixed................

Attachments

72 KB · Views: 389
  • Once_Now_Tshirt.jpg
    Once_Now_Tshirt.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 399
    72 KB · Views: 393
  • Once_Now_Tshirt.jpg
    Once_Now_Tshirt.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 398

Iron Patch said:
Thanks for reminding me, I forgot I had a screen! ;D

At first a screen seemed to be the Marketing depts dream. "See what is in the ground before you dig it." Yeah, Right!! As one that started with only sound I never look at the numbers on the screen unless I am really lazy and don't wanna dig anyway so I can pass up #32 because it isn't a dime.

Hey Keppy, Nice shirt! :icon_thumright:

mainer said:
Hey Keppy, Nice shirt! :icon_thumright:
Mainer........... Thank you it speaks the truth..............

Attachments

• 437607350v_225x225_Front_padToSquare-true.png
    437607350v_225x225_Front_padToSquare-true.png
    5.6 KB · Views: 364

I agree if you have a inaccurate target ID(display) then I wouldn't look at it either. Thank god I've got a very accurate display and use it very often. You can ask my hunting buddies, the ones without displays, just how well mine works because they follow behind me and never find squat.

The DFX is very accurate for target ID'ing. On the E-Trac it's by sound only.

I cant complain about the v3 on its id capabilities, I usually hunt by sound but check the screen before I dig aluminum. Only thing I cant get by is how those pulltab tongues sound AND look like a nickel to me. Im probably missing a slight difference in tone, I dont think my hearing is what it should be.

My old Fisher CZ-6 has an annoying habit of picking up nails as dimes on the first pass over (return pass is silent) I also get a solid dime or silver hit off of it if I get too close to a large pole in the ground (like a down pole from a slide in a tot lot)

The more I use it and get used to its habits though, the more I find if its telling me I have a penny, it means I have a penny. Same with dimes, although the silver one I planted in the garden has yet to turn back up (I left it for a week to see if I could find it)

-Lance

XLT rainbow edition
I hunt by sound but identify by display.
The XLT graph shows the metalic elements. Example: aluminum will show a mark 1/8" to the right of center. Of course most targets are alloys so you will see several marks. The ID # vary by soil condition. I always dig the first targets on each #, then I know what to expect when I see that #. The symbols Vary but a quarter symbol is 90% correct. A nickle/ tab display could be eather. That's when I look at the graph for the aluminum mark to break the tie. The nail symbol indicates iron. It is 90% accurate.

whites classic 5, very rarely look at the display go by sound mostly!!!! even though I'm 55 percent deaf in one ear an 20 in the other!!!! Right now it is tough because of a ear infection and i cant wear my hearing aid!!! i just have to be a little more patient while detecting and keep the detector on my right side!!! and avoid distractions of noise!!!!
I feel a nice gold find coming up soon!!! no it has been sunny and hot here!! no esp!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back