What's new

How many can you get

quito

Silver Member
Joined
Mar 31, 2008
Messages
4,638
Reaction score
4,844
Golden Thread
0
Location
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
on one coin?

I found that I could get six of my arrowheads to fit on a silver dollar. yes that funny looking one in the center is an arrowhead. both edges are still flaked too!

DSCN3329.webpDSCN3327.webp
 
Upvote 0
Maybe two! I just need to find another one that is this small. Came from Dale County Alabama.
 

Attachments

  • Half dime.webp
    Half dime.webp
    12.8 KB · Views: 107
Hey, those half dimes are pretty small, so is your point. whats the date on that piece?
 
Hey, those half dimes are pretty small, so is your point. whats the date on that piece?

I'm thinking that it is a later point from the Mississippian period. There were no other artifacts found associated with it. It was laying in some loose sand at a firing range I was at and it was the only time I was in this area. I put it in an empty Skoal can to keep from losing it. Dart point perhaps? I'd be glad to hear some opinions about it.
 
The small size says arrowhead to me.
 
Size matters in this post. Haha GaRebel maybe a hamilton? Hard to beat Quito on this one.
 
Has anyone heard an explanation as to why they were made so small?...not just weather or not small will work. It would be easier to make a larger one.
I can't imagine a very heavy shaft could be attatched..so I can't imagine they would go through thick fur or hide. Just too light..and not enough mass.
I'm sure they would work on people well.
And why so many tiny points in the western states?
Mostly bow and arrow time period?


yup gator they are true arrow points

the bows were only about 3 feet long...........the arrows were about two feet.........and they did go through hide and even into the skull or bone
you know i have seen several buffalo skulls with arrow points like quito's stuck in buffalo skulls over the years KRF is very hard and holds an extremely sharp edge
about 15 years ago a guy from wilton had a buffalo skull with a KRF arrow point embedded in it and said he would sell it to me for 200 bucks and i am feeling like a dummy for not buying it
the bows were made of hardwood or wood/antler strips/laminated
those are true 'arrow points' used for hunting all types of game
i am sure you know i don't like or understand this 'bird point' term
 
"i am sure you know i don't like or understand this 'bird point' term "

I think it is a misleading term myself, kinda like the halfted scrapers people call blunts.

Run that guy with the skull down Steve, I'll eagerly give him $250.00.
 
It would be pretty cool to see that skull with the point sticking out of it and I guess it would go without saying that it would make a great display piece.
 
Why don't one of you go ahead and send me a silver dollar and i'll see how many I can get on it! 8-)
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom