What's new

How many can you get

quito

Silver Member
Joined
Mar 31, 2008
Messages
4,638
Reaction score
4,844
Golden Thread
0
Location
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
on one coin?

I found that I could get six of my arrowheads to fit on a silver dollar. yes that funny looking one in the center is an arrowhead. both edges are still flaked too!

DSCN3329.webpDSCN3327.webp
 
Upvote 0
nice finds congrats HH
 
In all my years of hunting I have only found one triangle that was about 3/8" long. never and smaller....those are nice finds Joel....I dub you HawkEye...lol...man they are small!!!......
 
Those are small. Most of the ones I find are 1-2 inches. Not many tiny ones around here.
 
In all my years of hunting I have only found one triangle that was about 3/8" long. never and smaller....those are nice finds Joel....I dub you HawkEye...lol...man they are small!!!......

well don't sprain your arm patting me on the back yet Chris, I only found two of them.
 
Thats crazy. You had me trying to beat you and realized all mine are hanging over the dollar. Dang.
 
Thats crazy. You had me trying to beat you and realized all mine are hanging over the dollar. Dang.

Hmmm. now you have me wondering what I can do with triangle points.
 
I tried and got 4 on a fifty cent piece and then got back on the computer and saw that you used a much much larger coin,lol. Nice points
 
hey joel
those are true arrow points
used for buffalo, elk, deer, turkey, etc...............and not 'bird points'
 
Nice points there Quito ,.. 6 on the doller ! Hmmm,. I have 27 show'n ,. Hmmm ,.. shoud I fold , hit me ?? no,. discard ??No wait, ,. I'll rase it ,..one on a dime ??
Never had any luck at cards ,... Blindpig
 

Attachments

  • 27poinsonplayingcard.webp
    27poinsonplayingcard.webp
    13.8 KB · Views: 99
  • JPEGlitcamp.webp
    JPEGlitcamp.webp
    39.5 KB · Views: 98
Has anyone heard an explanation as to why they were made so small?...not just weather or not small will work. It would be easier to make a larger one.
I can't imagine a very heavy shaft could be attatched..so I can't imagine they would go through thick fur or hide. Just too light..and not enough mass.
I'm sure they would work on people well.
And why so many tiny points in the western states?
Mostly bow and arrow time period?
 
Last edited:
A couple Texas minis.

ForumRunner_20130506_170359.webp
 
Has anyone heard an explanation as to why they were made so small?...not just weather or not small will work.
I can't imagine a very heavy shaft could be attatched..so I can't imagine they would go through thick fur or hide. Just to light..and not enough mass.
I'm sure they would work on people well.

All they wanted to do was wound and bleed the animal out.
 
I don't have a silver dollar handy but I imagine I could get a few of these western micros on one.
 

Attachments

  • phpoCXfZaPM.webp
    phpoCXfZaPM.webp
    50.5 KB · Views: 89
  • phppJCONZPM.webp
    phppJCONZPM.webp
    76 KB · Views: 103
  • phpnrsu0tPM.webp
    phpnrsu0tPM.webp
    29.2 KB · Views: 90
  • phpydzZ93PM.webp
    phpydzZ93PM.webp
    31.9 KB · Views: 96
Lots of confusion calling small points , bird points. IMHO the name , bird points, was made up by collectors. I have a few point books and can't find the name bird point anywhere.
 
"All they wanted to do was wound and bleed the animal out."

From what I have read, regarding the natives shooting buffalo with arrows up here. The way I understand it, they tried to hit the animal so the arrow went through from the flank forward, towards the vitals. Their intent was to cause the animal as much discomfort as possible, so they didn't run off so far. Think gut shot deer. They don't run very far and will just stand there like they have a bad tummy ache. They will eventually lay down and die if not pushed.

As an avid archery hunter, I can see where the small points would be far more effective on big game. After all, the name of their game up here wasn't hitting vitals, (we know how far a heart shot buck can run don't we?) they just wanted to get that stick/shaft up in that big critter so he didn't want to run. Small points will allow an arrow to travel faster, farther, and more accurately. And, a small point will slip between the ribs much easier if a person was after getting into the vitals with his shot.

DSCN1731.webp
 
Exactly. Most times if you get a good hit and are patient you will recover that animal. They were patient.They were more concerned with a meal than suffering in my opinion.Jump sites were brilliant.
Nice mounts. I bow hunt as well and have about 10 or 12 mounts. No more wall space here :laughing7:. Good post
 
I got 8 on a silver dollar! :)
Cool thread guys!IMG_3403 (794x800).webp
And very nice mounts, quito!
 
Now those are some seriously small points charmin !!!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom