fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is there lettering around the edge? Also, could you post a picture of the back?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Subterranean

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2012
Southwest Missouri
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro (Julio), Garrett AT Max (Medusa), Garrett Pro Pointer, White's Prism V, Lesche Digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is that photo correct or a negative? I see , possibly, the words "United/ States" in reverse on the sides, and an eagle over an anchor. Is it possible that it is a wax seal for the (infant) US Navy? Am I waaaaaaaay out on a limb here? Happy Hunting, Sub 8-)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
RelicDude

RelicDude

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2012
north west connecticut
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is there lettering around the edge? Also, could you post a picture of the back?

Yes there is lettering it's hard to read but I think it says United States. And also here's a pic of the back.

Sent from my iPod touch using TreasureNet

Attachments

• image-2932627828.jpg
    image-2932627828.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 108
Upvote 0
OP
OP
RelicDude

RelicDude

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2012
north west connecticut
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is that photo correct or a negative? I see , possibly, the words "United/ States" in reverse on the sides, and an eagle over an anchor. Is it possible that it is a wax seal for the (infant) US Navy? Am I waaaaaaaay out on a limb here? Happy Hunting, Sub 8-)

It's not a negative it has some of the gilt on it still.

Upvote 0

duggap

Bronze Member
Dec 11, 2007
Chattanooga, TN
Detector(s) used
Tosoro Bandido
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't know the military connection, but I would guess that it is half of an old cuff link.

Upvote 0

Goldiver

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Fremont, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Fisher F-75 LTD2, CZ-70, CZ-21, 1280x, Vibraprobe 560, Minelab Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice United States Navy cufflink! It appears to be late 1700's - early 1800's.

Steve

Upvote 0
OP
OP
RelicDude

RelicDude

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2012
north west connecticut
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One very similar was identified here by Mark Parker: Western & Eastern Treasures Magazine - Ask Mark Parker
-I ordinarily wouldn't link to another detecting related site, but W&E is a sponsor of our site (last I knew).

Thank you. This is the closest thing I have seen to mine except the eagle is different and this one doesn't have United States on it. So this makes me wonder if this one was issued.

Upvote 0

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you. This is the closest thing I have seen to mine except the eagle is different and this one doesn't have United States on it. So this makes me wonder if this one was issued.

You might be able to answer that by finding out the answer to one more general question... was there any early issued military cufflinks? I've never seen any in books.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
RelicDude

RelicDude

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2012
north west connecticut
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You might be able to answer that by finding out the answer to one more general question... was there any early issued military cufflinks? I've never seen any in books.

That is a very good question except I can't find any information on these.

Upvote 0

johnnyi

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2009
new jersey
Detector(s) used
minelab, white's xlt, deus xp, fisher aquanaut, white's twin box
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice United States Navy cufflink! It appears to be late 1700's - early 1800's.

Steve

Agreed, and I'd go out on a limb and venture to say it's post Continental Navy, and probably a 1797 officer's sleeve button privately designed and produced.

We often forget that there was no real standardization of these first officer's buttons, except "they must be flat, yellow, and show a foul anchor". Any superfluous additions such as eagle and shield, motto, etc., could be written off the same as the fact that the well known and rare wood backed Navy button isn't yellow, it's silver!

As far as the eagle and shield are concerned, the first mention of these as necessary are very specific and aren't mandatory until 1797; "Buttons yellow-metal, and to have foul anchor and American eagle on same".

The first mention of both the eagle and shield isn't until a year later, 1798, "a shield on left wing enclosing a foul anchor". Clearly this sleeve button is earlier and not close to that well known mass produced anchor in oval over wing design.

Here's a shot of a British Continental Navy sleeve button to compare style. http://thomaspublications.com/relics/rw-sleeve-links-navy.jpg

Upvote 0

Goldiver

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Fremont, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Fisher F-75 LTD2, CZ-70, CZ-21, 1280x, Vibraprobe 560, Minelab Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0
OP
OP
RelicDude

RelicDude

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2012
north west connecticut
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very interesting and thank you golddiver and johnyi. This piece is a head scratcher for sure. I also just noticed while looking at the button with a magnify glass that united is spelt wrong. Unitad

Upvote 0

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Agreed, and I'd go out on a limb and venture to say it's post Continental Navy, and probably a 1797 officer's sleeve button privately designed and produced.

We often forget that there was no real standardization of these first officer's buttons, except "they must be flat, yellow, and show a foul anchor". Any superfluous additions such as eagle and shield, motto, etc., could be written off the same as the fact that the well known and rare wood backed Navy button isn't yellow, it's silver!

As far as the eagle and shield are concerned, the first mention of these as necessary are very specific and aren't mandatory until 1797; "Buttons yellow-metal, and to have foul anchor and American eagle on same".

The first mention of both the eagle and shield isn't until a year later, 1798, "a shield on left wing enclosing a foul anchor". Clearly this sleeve button is earlier and not close to that well known mass produced anchor in oval over wing design.

Here's a shot of a British Continental Navy sleeve button to compare style. http://thomaspublications.com/relics/rw-sleeve-links-navy.jpg

I think you mean British Royal Navy, and what's interesting is that's the publisher for Troiani's latest Rev War book, but there's no cufflinks in there, and if they were issued I'm pretty sure they would be.

If military, the one above would most certainly be post Rev War.

Upvote 0

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is a link I ran across, pretty interesting. http://www.jefpat.org/diagnostic/SmallFinds/SleeveButtons-Cufflinks-Studs/Linked%20Buttons.pdf

I believe military themed ones were a private purchase item but I could be wrong. There is not much information on these available that I can find. Whatever the case I think you have a very cool find and hope you can find the mate to it.

Steve

That is what I believe, otherwise they'd be included with the buttons in the books.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread