I bought an Equinox 800 (few questions)

OBXmetalDet

Aug 25, 2019
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not too long ago, I posted a question asking what would be the best detector to use on a salt water beach. Overwhelmingly, it looked like Minelab's Equinox 800 was the way to go, so I bought one. I also bought the accessories for an extra $100 so I have a pinpointer as well. Just finished assembling my Equinox. It is charging right now. I played around with the pinpointer a bit.

It looks like this is going to be a really cool hobby.

Questions about the pinpointer:

1. How do you use the lanyard it comes with and where do you attach it?
2. Turning on/off the Ferrous Tone ID seems straightforward. What happens if I don't use the Ferrous Tone ID on the pinpointer? How will this effect my ability to locate targets?

Thank you all for your suggestions and input.

Upvote 0

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What brand/model pin pointer? With my TRX pin pointer, I tied a lanyard (actually a shoelace) to it with a snap hook on the other end and attach it to a "D" ring on my land hunting pouch. I attach the snap hook to a loop attached to the my finds pouch zipper when using my water pouch.

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most folks don't use pin pointers on beaches, they simply use a long handled beach scoop. Good ones are pricey but if you're going to hunt in any water at all it will be necessary. Hard to stick your face underwater to see what your pin pointer is pointing to, a lot easier just to use a pro grade scoop. A lot easier in the soft sand too, less bending down for a bottle cap that is easily visible in your scoop. If you look around here there are many threads regarding scoops, their costs, uses and brand favorites. I like my Stavro Evroexcavator but I have never used anything else to compare it to. If you are a patient person you will find it a very cool hobby.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread