I need identification on my axe head

Vldetecting

Jun 23, 2017
Sweden
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max, Garrett AT Pro-Pointer, Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So yesterday I was detecting and got a very good copper/bronze signal 8 inches down. Dug down about 9 inches in 30 minutes until I saw the edge of an object I tried to get it out but then I gave up and after some time to convince me to get it out I tried and it took me an hour to finally unearth it. I was happy when I got it out cause I knew it was old and it was my first axe head.
Now i tried to get some information of the internet but could only see it as an possible splitting axe.
Now I want someone to identify it as what type of axe it is and it's age and that would make me very happy. The length is about 17-18 cm and the width is about 14 cm on the edge of the blade and 9 cm on the end of the axe. It weighs about 2,1 kg. Here is some pictures: image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

OP
OP
Vldetecting

Vldetecting

Jun 23, 2017
Sweden
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for the information. But my axe is found in Sweden so unfortunately I still don't know anything about this axe all that it's old.

Upvote 0

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
1800-1900's. Earlier axes were often using less iron. Since Iron was very expensive before the industrial revolution.
Also due to the fine condition. Possibly a splitting axe? I've seen the model before but can't recall it right now.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Vldetecting

Vldetecting

Jun 23, 2017
Sweden
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, I was searching on the internet and the most likely axes I got was splitting axes. But I don't know if it's fully iron because it gives a good copper signal on the detector...

Upvote 0

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Large iron can fool the detector..

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread