I think I am getting the hang of this.

Wandermore91

Feb 19, 2018
New England
Primary Interest:
Other
The spirits blessed me this week. If anyone would like to identify anything for me I would love to hear about it. Thank you.

I also found three other possible items, a suspected hammerstone, and two palette/mortar type stones. I would appreciate if you’d take a look!

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1521153413.568542.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1521153515.634111.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1521153527.535175.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1521153537.364176.jpg
Hammerstone appears battered and used on both ends
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1521153563.692166.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1521153573.628202.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1521153582.582574.jpg
Really wish this was whole..
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1521153596.289141.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1521153606.491708.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1521153622.535195.jpg
Smoothed off stone with definite concave dip in center, also handle-like grip and finger rest indentation. Almost looks like a spoon. Please consider that I am almost certain at this point I am on a site, before saying this is just a rock. It very well could be, but I really have a hunch it served a purpose.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

welsbury

Bronze Member
Jan 25, 2010
Eastern oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like you are on a site. You have several whole chipped points and partial points. Not so sure about your stone pieces though.

arrow86

Silver Member
May 6, 2014
Eastern Shore Maryland
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some nice finds , I would keep focusing on the points and smaller items. Keep in mind even when on a great site it doesn’t mean everything found is an artifact. Not familiar with rock types in your area but the one you think is a hammer stone looks like it would fracture and break easy , not sure if that would have been good choice for a hammer stone.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keep most everything in the 1st pic and toss the rest

OP
OP
Wandermore91

Wandermore91

Feb 19, 2018
New England
Primary Interest:
Other
Keep most everything in the 1st pic and toss the rest
I can’t bring myself to if there is any possibility of them having been used. I am not only out for the obvious artifacts! I know some people only like points and other worked tools, but I enjoy the random stuff[emoji20]

OP
OP
Wandermore91

Wandermore91

Feb 19, 2018
New England
Primary Interest:
Other
Some nice finds , I would keep focusing on the points and smaller items. Keep in mind even when on a great site it doesn’t mean everything found is an artifact. Not familiar with rock types in your area but the one you think is a hammer stone looks like it would fracture and break easy , not sure if that would have been good choice for a hammer stone.

It’s a very hard stone. It may have aged like that from the beatings it took. But I believe it was very solid and selected for that reason as a hammerstone

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can’t bring myself to if there is any possibility of them having been used. I am not only out for the obvious artifacts! I know some people only like points and other worked tools, but I enjoy the random stuff[emoji20]

Let me make it clear the others are rocks. Put them in your yard if you like them

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keep all of them if you want to. I have several pieces that have the look and shape of an artifact and every now and then I will pull them out of their hidey-hole to see if they have changed from a geofact to an artifact. No luck so far but I can wish!

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The point in the second row from the bottom, 3rd from right with the concave base looks like an old point. Or should I say, if found here in IL it would be old (paleo, very early archaic) but I'm not really up on New England stuff. Gary

willjo

Bronze Member
Apr 30, 2015
Twin City, Ga.
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA 350 and Garrett ace 150
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The last stone you showed with the dished out place could be an artifact, it may be an abrader or a small grinding bowl. Here is one I found and it is similar to yours and it is an artifact. After looking at it more it may be an abrader stone that was used to dull points while knapping them, it is up to you where you want to keep stuff like this or not, it makes the collection bulky if you like carrying it to artifact shows.

Attachments

• 100_5799.JPG
    100_5799.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 50

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I think you'll soon be putting Boudreau's New England typology book to good use. In the first photo, I see a small argillite Wading River, a rhyolite Wading River next to it, an argillite point that may be the notched variety of a single ear variant of Brewerton Eared Triangle. It might have had two ears, dunno, one corner is damaged (these are all in the first full horizontal row).

In the second full horizontal row, I see the base of a Neville point. To it's right, a quartz Wading River. According to Beaudreau, Wading Rivers can be viewed as the stemmed variety of Lamoka points, which are normally side notched. . The larger of the two triangles, to the right of the Wading River, is likely a Squibnocket Triangle, so long as the concave base is not ground. Otherwise, might be a Snappit point. Nevilles are in the 8000+ year range, a Middle Archaic piece.

In future, best to put something for scale in your photos of points, as it makes it easier to type them, sometimes, and scale just helps all around. Wherever you're hunting, I would certainly continue to do so. You are getting the hang of it, but agree the others are rocks....

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread