I will wonder about this for the rest of my life...

Just_curious

Aug 27, 2017
Georgia/Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab GM1000
White's GMZ
White's Spectrum XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Or at least until I go to Missourri again. I went to MO for work. In my off time, I went metal detecting. I stumbled upon an area in the NTL forest. It has this extravagant land Marker right next to a river. When I parked my car, a woman rushed to a big boulder, and then a guy popped up out of a little swimming hole. Keep in mind, this was in December. The man wasn't in his boxers either. He was wearing swimming trunks. Now, idk how many people have a set of trunks in their vehicles in the winter, but I would guess not many.

Anyways, I went to go check out the land Marker, and my buddy decided to hang out by the boulder. When I was up by the big land Marker, I began to look for symbols. I looked around and noticed 2 rocks that seemed to be directional. They were put together to form a "V". I went by the rocks and noticed that directly where I was standing was a bunch of rocks shoved into a hole. I started pulling them out, and they just kept coming. I told my buddy that I thought it was a ventilation shaft. He came up to check it out with me.

I focused my attention back to the "v" rocks, and began scrapping away at the moss. Underneath it, I found a chiseled "H". Getting very excited, I told my buddy, "this is a tunnel symbol!" And it made sense with the shaft I just found. Looking through the "V", it lined up with where my buddy was stopped in the beginning with the big square boulder and where the guy was swimming.

We went to go check out the little swimming hole, and realized that there was a tunnel, just barely exposed, on the edge of the swimming hole. I grabbed my flashlight, he held my feet, and I lowered myself down to shine the light in. Inside the opening cavern, there was a tunnel that headed off to the right, right in towards the "V" rock, shaft, and land Marker.

I looked behind use to the random boulder that was about 15 feet behind the opening, then looked back at the hole. It was literally a perfect fit. When looking at head on at the entrance, the left side was a perfect 90 degree corner. The right side was a 90 degree corner at the top, but an arch of bedrock at the bottom. The boulder matched perfectly.

I stood on the bank looking down at the opening. Again, all 90 degree corners. I think that the boulder covered the entrance to cover up either a mining tunnel, or a vault.

I will include the pics that I took so hopefully you will get an understanding. I tried to go in to check things out, stripped down to my boxers, but the water was freezing and no way of drying off. Now I wish I would have just done it!

Here is the entrance
Screenshot_20171221-200426.png

Screenshot_20171221-200511.png

Top view of entrance (thought I captured the whole length. It's the same length as the boulder)
Screenshot_20171221-200527.png

Here's the boulder

Screenshot_20171221-200452.png Screenshot_20171221-200439.png

Here's the "H"
Screenshot_20171209-190031.png

There were these strange rock walls/piles everywhere on top of the ridge.

Screenshot_20171221-200720.png

Tunnel
Screenshot_20180127-232252.jpg

Drawn on depictions of my theory (I offset the H)
Screenshot_20180127-232050.jpg
Screenshot_20180127-232233.jpg
Screenshot_20180127-232325.jpg
Screenshot_20180127-232806.jpg

If you read this far, what do you think? Possible vault? Cache? Mine? Should it be assumed that If it were any of the above, the valuables would be gone since the entrance was uncovered? I should also note that I also seen a big rock turtle there Screenshot_20171221-201555.png Screenshot_20180127-233349.jpg , and very strange rock build-up. All the rock had square cuts and looked to be a quarry Screenshot_20171221-201033.png Screenshot_20171221-201020.png . There were boulders stacked perfectly over others to create caves. Screenshot_20171221-201038.png . And also just strange rocks all together (symbol, creature? Natural?) Screenshot_20171221-201516.png Screenshot_20171221-205756.png
The whole place reminded me of ancient ruins. Maybe I have an over-active imagination...but the in-your-face gut-feeling was incredible.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
perhaps all random and coincidence. Having nothing to do with goodies/treasures ?

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just Curious, if I had to guess from the photos you provided, the area looks like limestone country. Curious weathering, all natural erosion. The "H" is natural, and requires the use of your imagination. The only feature you displayed that gets my attention, although they're all interesting photos, are the rock "walls". You said they were located on the ridge, and that says defensive works, hastily thrown up to provide cover for infantry, expecting an assault. Civil War perhaps?

Bashroo

Jan 25, 2018
Colorado/Arizona
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Every time I find an old ruin, I look at alignments like you did, but I mess with the scale. Sometimes markers serve more than their obvious purpose and can lead to interesting things in not as obvious directions. >.02$

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like limestone country, as Krey Gelder said and natural caves abound in that type of landscape. The rock walls are possibly land boundaries.

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well.....if nothing else, and lets say forget about the "cave", if possible, I would like to give detecting a shot all around the area, including of course the "rock walls?" just to see what might be just under the surface, to get an idea of what might have gone on around there. Ya never know.

chub

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2017
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Minelab Soveriegn XS 2
Nokta pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im not sure about the relevance of the man and woman? Im from the Southern hemisphere....in our 'freezing cold winter' (60F) I sometimes see people swimming when the beach is empty. 99% of the time its a German/ European tourist.

Just sayin

Chub

OP
OP
J

Just_curious

Aug 27, 2017
Georgia/Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab GM1000
White's GMZ
White's Spectrum XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought the same thing as a def ensive position. I metal detected all around the area and come up with nothing. Not even junk. It was a surprisingly clean area.

OP
OP
J

Just_curious

Aug 27, 2017
Georgia/Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab GM1000
White's GMZ
White's Spectrum XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im not sure about the relevance of the man and woman? Im from the Southern hemisphere....in our 'freezing cold winter' (60F) I sometimes see people swimming when the beach is empty. 99% of the time its a German/ European tourist.

Just sayin

Chub
The week leading up to the weekend I went out was about 30-35 degrees. I think the guy was diving (?)The cave, and the wife ran to him letting him know people were there. I think this because as soon as we got there, they left.

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would check out google earth on the location and also try to do research on the property. Sounds interesting with the walls but the rest could be natural. An old homestead with a place to pull water also makes sense. Good Luck and Happy Hunting

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
bet it used to be a mill site and you found the race

chub

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2017
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Minelab Soveriegn XS 2
Nokta pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The week leading up to the weekend I went out was about 30-35 degrees. I think the guy was diving (?)The cave, and the wife ran to him letting him know people were there. I think this because as soon as we got there, they left.

That sound a bit fresh -even for a European (they seem to have a different temperature threshold ) .

Interesting topic.

Chub

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread