Muddyhandz

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2012
In da bush
Detector(s) used
Fisher's 1266X, 1270X & 1280X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, are you comparing the "seriousness" of detecting to the "seriousness" of police radar detectors? I haven't heard of them being illegal to use (but I'm not disputing you either). But what I do know, is that a lot of people have them and use them. I detect with a buddy who has one, for instance. And I suspect (as you will probably acknowledge) that they are in relative wide-spread use, all while being "illegal", here in the USA.

Ok, with that said, how oh how oh how can you compare the two? I mean, if this were really an analogy of levels of "seriousness", then you could hardly blame someone over there from detecting. In the same way you can hardly blame someone here for getting those radar detectors.

So take your pick: is it that level of seriousness, or isn't it? I got slammed for making the analogy of going 56 in a 55 zone. And here it seems you've done basically the same thing. Hhhmmm.

Actually, this example worked quite well.
It shows that you knew nothing about them being illegal in another country (Canada) and even in some states of your own country.

But here you are........:mblah05::mblah05::mblah05:

:sleepy2:

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Actually, this example worked quite well.
It shows that you knew nothing about them being illegal in another country (Canada) and even in some states of your own country.

But here you are........:mblah05::mblah05::mblah05:

:sleepy2:

I did not know you were talking about Canada. I thought you were talking about the USA. Looking more closely at your avetar, I see the Canadian flag now.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
I don't know the laws in Turkey ....So i can not give you any type of answer........For i have never been there and have no plans to go there......

dirtfisher23

Jul 14, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do what you like. It's the draw of the cards. You might get lucky or you might not.
Unfortunately, card games demand skill. This is not a card game. Just keep a low
profile and don't attract attention to yourselves. Good luck.
Dirtfisher23.

-Taz-

Mar 28, 2013
Island on the west coast
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Tesoro Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So they sell MDs in stores, so what? They sell Gucci, YSL, Armani etc. on every street corner in the smallest shops you can imagine, all fake of course and as illegal as it gets....

Anyone taking advice from someone in here that has absolutely no clue about what he is talking about and the situation in Turkey, will get everything THAT guy deserves.

Take it from me, an owner of a holiday apartment in Turkey for 10 years, you DON´T kid around with the Turkish police, if you do you are certainly one of the most stupid people on this forum.

I will however try to find out about this my self since those beaches are goldmines, and my girlfriend contributed a gold toe ring last week :tongue3:

Edit; after 10 minutes searching I found these two threads that should clairly state the situation in Turkey...its a big no-no;

http://www.turkishliving.com/forums/gumusluk-forum/60405-metal-detecting-laws.html

http://www.detectingwales.com/index.php?topic=9711.0

Last edited:

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Edit; after 10 minutes searching I found these two threads that should clairly state the situation in Turkey...its a big no-no;

metal detecting laws - Turkish Living Forums

detecting in turkey ? o.k or not ?

Regarding the first link: a) I never see any laws cited or quoted. Just a bunch of people giving their opinion, what they heard someone say, etc... b) funny, but I seem to recall incidents here in the USA where md'rs were "bundled all into a police van" too. Google around and I'm sure you can find incidents of people arrested for picking up arrow heads, detecting for coins, etc... right here in the USA.

Regarding the 2nd link: a) again, no laws cited. b) another person acknowledges that detecting goes on at the beaches, but "only for locals"? What? :icon_scratch: Do they card you to see if you're a "local" verses a "foreigner"? Doh!

RotZorn

Feb 12, 2013
Munford, TN
Detector(s) used
F5,F2,MPX,1T-Pilot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Everybody just keeps posting links to other forums...... Proof of nothing..... Absolutely NOTHING.

It's the same thing as what's here before you posted the link?!?! WTF???

It makes me wonder if the same tread is going on at some other MD forum, in there are links within it to this tread?!?! Which once again proves NOTHING!

I'm not saying go there and detect, and I'm not saying not to- because after all this I still don't know what the truth is.

I searched and got only info on other forums and message boards- useless. Any fool can type anything they want on public Internet sites...... We need a link to something official - like Turkish government official- not copied and pasted or whatever. We need the "cold light of day" FACTS.

-Taz-

Mar 28, 2013
Island on the west coast
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Tesoro Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Regarding the first link: a) I never see any laws cited or quoted. Just a bunch of people giving their opinion, what they heard someone say, etc... b) funny, but I seem to recall incidents here in the USA where md'rs were "bundled all into a police van" too. Google around and I'm sure you can find incidents of people arrested for picking up arrow heads, detecting for coins, etc... right here in the USA.

Regarding the 2nd link: a) again, no laws cited. b) another person acknowledges that detecting goes on at the beaches, but "only for locals"? What? :icon_scratch: Do they card you to see if you're a "local" verses a "foreigner"? Doh!

Well as i answered in another thread where you had posted after me, but not bothered to answer me;

I answered in the other thread, but have since then also checked the forum of the Norwegian Metaldetecting Association where the question of different countries came up. One of the guyes had checked some countries of interest to him, Turkey was one of them. The answer was very clear; NO

Others were; Egypt (NO), Irland (NO), Greece (NO), Malta (NO ). In Spain and Italy it is legal, but with restrictions, in Spain you will for instance need a license.

The forum I am referring to is a closed forum with around 250 members, all highly dedicated MD´s which all pay a yearly membership to have access. These guys know what they are doing and the "trollcoeffisent" is zero. YOU will NEVER accept anything that you yourself haven´t received from a official of the Turkish government, and you will nwver bother to do that. That’s your problem, but don´t go advising others that can get in to a heap of trouble because of your lousy advice.

When i comes to the other links I posted, the first one is for foreigners living in Turkey and those people knows a bit more about what’s happening over there then 99,9% of the people on Treasurent.

Last edited:

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
.... One of the guyes had checked some countries of interest to him, Turkey was one of them. The answer was very clear; NO .....

Uh, Taz, This is the best anyone can give? To simply say "I know someone who checked into it, and the answer was a 'no' " ? Well gee, where did he get that info? Do you see that that doesn't say or prove anything? I mean, I can find someone to inform me that it's illegal for you to eat popcorn. Does that mean it's therefore law that you can't eat popcorn? Maybe it is, insofar as I can cite to you an actual law that says such a thing.

Haven't you ever heard of places where someone, somehow, someway, gets a "no", when no real rule existed that says that? It happens all the time. Does that mean it's now "law" simply because someone asked an archie who seems to interpret as such? Or because someone finds a desk clerk in a bad mood who says "no"? Or a cop on a corner who envisions geeks with shovels so he tells you "the whole country is off-limits"? None of those things spells law, anymore so than the following statement: "I say it's illegal for Taz to wear blue tennis shoes". Ok then, now you tell me: does that make it "law"? NO (even though you're reading it in print here). You would say to me: "cite to me the law that says it's illegal for me to wear blue tennis shoes". And if I say to you: I read a forum where someone else looked into it, and this was what he says", you'd say: "fine, but I'm still waiting for the proof".

We had a situation in my city (don't get lost in the example ....... It's JUST an example) where a fellow took it upon himself to go ask at city hall "can I metal detect in the parks here?" He found someone to tell him "no". Hmm, that's odd, but the parks had (and still to this day 25 yrs. later) always been detected, and no one's ever cared. Ok, in that case, it would be analogous to your post: "Someone went and checked and found out that it's illegal" Right? But as you can see, people can fetch themselves "no's" or "yes's" simply based on who they talk to, the mental impression of the person fielding the question (how they couch it), the person's mood, etc... That's all fine and dandy, but rather than "so & so looked and says someone told them it's illegal", I'm STILL waiting to see what the actual law says.

Last edited:

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Could we not club together to send Tom to Turkey with his detector ? It would be worth it to get a few years of peace.

Taz, you can detect on most beaches in Southern Ireland (not land), and in Northern Ireland both land and beach as its classed as part of the United Kingdom and comes under those rules. But even in the U.K. there's vast no go areas and you should have a license if you want to detect the beaches so your quite right if you don't want trouble you need to know the rules.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread