What's new

Is this animal a fox? yes!

Bramblefind

Silver Member
Joined
Nov 26, 2009
Messages
2,966
Reaction score
4,024
Golden Thread
0
Location
New York
Detector(s) used
T2/F75 SE
:tongue3: I feel sort of dumb asking but it looked so weird when I first saw it just hanging out in the road that I thought it was a chupacabra or something else very strange :D

But now looking at the pictures I think possibly a fox that is sick with mange? Or it just hit me .. maybe the onset of rabies? It was not as afraid of me as it I would have expected and actually seemed interested in me. Then ran when I took a couple steps toward it.

Seen on a road in the Southern Adirondack region of NY.

hvean8.jpg


fz6ljd.jpg


2i6pdud.jpg


148enh1.jpg
 
:hello:

Most of the towny Red Foxes have the mange here to :-\ they seem to fair better when they stick to the countryside, he should look like this, once saw one pluck a pheasant right out of the air, at about four feet :o and then turn around, and look at me, with it in his mouth...no camera that day :-\

SS
 

Attachments

  • a%20red%20fox.webp
    a%20red%20fox.webp
    24 KB · Views: 549
Upvote 0
kuger said:
Yea,nice how that works!!Let the Gov. handle it for us....thats the way it will be handled :thumbsup:The Gov. makes me feel so soft and fuzzie

I just hate the hassel of going to court to get my pistol back, again. :tongue3:
 
Upvote 0
My bad! Its a Coyote mangy Red Fox (or a Chupacabra in drag).

Generally, the Coyote has a black tipped tail and at times may have the black edged ears. Foxes, on the otherhand typically have white tipped tails.

Never mind...I'll go to my room now and stand in the corner :-[
 
Upvote 0
Silver Searcher said:
:hello:

Most of the towny Red Foxes have the mange here to :-\ they seem to fair better when they stick to the countryside, he should look like this, once saw one pluck a pheasant right out of the air, at about four feet :o and then turn around, and look at me, with it in his mouth...no camera that day :-\

SS

WOW!What a picture that would have been!!I watched one try to drag a Canada goose,he had a heck of time,and finally gave up and tore parts off and went to burying them in different spots...I didnt have a camera either that day.Most amusing for about 45 minutes!!!!
 
Upvote 0
kuger said:
Silver Searcher said:
:hello:

Most of the towny Red Foxes have the mange here to :-\ they seem to fair better when they stick to the countryside, he should look like this, once saw one pluck a pheasant right out of the air, at about four feet :o and then turn around, and look at me, with it in his mouth...no camera that day :-\

SS

WOW!What a picture that would have been!!I watched one try to drag a Canada goose,he had a heck of time,and finally gave up and tore parts off and went to burying them in different spots...I didnt have a camera either that day.Most amusing for about 45 minutes!!!!
Never forget that day, long grass and the wind was blowing towards me, I knew there was something about, because my late Dog Sam :'( was onto something, the Pheasant took off and then the Fox did....what a site :o

SS
 
Upvote 0
It's that time of the year when the young ones start wandering on their own..... saw a kit the other day.... Kinda cute and curious at the same time... HH M
 
Upvote 0
I think if I saw that fox in the woods I would have taken a few steps backwards.........A few years back, while metal detecting I came upon a Red Fox den. There were 3 or 4 young ones playing near the one hole but one was just lying next to the hole, not looking right. I got within 15 feet of him, took a few photos, did shoot a video, in which you can hear the Mama "barking" in the background. I told my son where the den area was, he went there about a day or two later and the fox in the photos was dead. Mange and rabies quite common in this area, not sure what was wrong with the young one but you could tell it was not doing well.

Red Foxes are known for being seen in more open areas, beaches, farmland areas, whereas the more common Gray Fox prefers the thicker underbrush type areas.

Don
 

Attachments

  • babyfox2.webp
    babyfox2.webp
    60.8 KB · Views: 562
  • babyredfox.webp
    babyredfox.webp
    152.4 KB · Views: 555
Upvote 0
Just had a coyote jump on a kid and bite him while he was walking with his dad. Open space, suburban area of Denver.

Never seen the mange before, although I have been called a mangey _______________fill in the blank with any number of adjectives. But for that, the trophy apparently goes to................Bramblefind! A few words of acceptance, please.
 
Upvote 0
High Plains Digger said:
Never seen the mange before, although I have been called a mangey _______________fill in the blank with any number of adjetives. But for that, the trophy apparently goes to................Bramblefind! A few words of acceptance, please.

hahhaa! Well yes if you are talking about cool boutique diseases it does have that certain cachet. Anyone with scabies is just a D-list poseur!

Thank you kindly.. I suffered greatly for this award ;D
 
Upvote 0
had one in the kingston ny area last year that looked as bad as yours
seen it this spring with two kits so all is not lost
 
Upvote 0
fmerg said:
had one in the kingston ny area last year that looked as bad as yours
seen it this spring with two kits so all is not lost

Thanks that is good to read :icon_thumleft: I hope it makes it. And I hope it stays out of the road - it was right in the middle when I first saw it and just sort of standing there confused :-\
 
Upvote 0
Bramblefind said:
fmerg said:
had one in the kingston ny area last year that looked as bad as yours
seen it this spring with two kits so all is not lost

it was right in the middle when I first saw it and just sort of standing there confused :-\



I was just reading the fox blog and he said the same thing about you.

I told him you are ok too.
 
Upvote 0
Iron Patch said:
Bramblefind said:
fmerg said:
had one in the kingston ny area last year that looked as bad as yours
seen it this spring with two kits so all is not lost

it was right in the middle when I first saw it and just sort of standing there confused :-\



I was just reading the fox blog and he said the same thing about you.

I told him you are ok too.

:laughing7:

That's great! You should read Fox more often :icon_thumleft:
 
Upvote 0
Bramblefind said:
Iron Patch said:
Bramblefind said:
fmerg said:
had one in the kingston ny area last year that looked as bad as yours
seen it this spring with two kits so all is not lost

it was right in the middle when I first saw it and just sort of standing there confused :-\



I was just reading the fox blog and he said the same thing about you.

I told him you are ok too.

:laughing7:

That's great! You should read Fox more often :icon_thumleft:


Not that Fox. I said confused, not misguided. :wink: :laughing7:
 
Upvote 0
Have to say
It sure looks like a coyote due to size and height of ears
fox would be smaller, shorter ears
Just my opinion
Brady
 
Upvote 0
bradyboy said:
Have to say
It sure looks like a coyote due to size and height of ears
fox would be smaller, shorter ears
Just my opinion
Brady

WOW,should expect that from you Brady....tell ya what I will bet that paycheck on it.What do you put up?If you have seen a fox or a coyote in real life then there would be no question....I am not guessing.
 
Upvote 0
Bramblefind said:
fmerg said:
had one in the kingston ny area last year that looked as bad as yours
seen it this spring with two kits so all is not lost

Thanks that is good to read :icon_thumleft: I hope it makes it. And I hope it stays out of the road - it was right in the middle when I first saw it and just sort of standing there confused :-\

As you know(first hand!) Mange is terribly itchy,and the animals actually scratch till they bleed in extreme cases....drives them nutty.The one in your picture if it indeed does have it,which I beleive it does,is in the initial stages.It will probably not grow its winter coat and will a be a horrible cold winter for the poor fellow.


High Plains....coyote human attacks are not that uncommon....they just dont make the national news,although I wish they did.The Media doesnt want to cause hysteria,but I think people should know,because %99 of the time it is due to someone in the neighborhood feeding them.They then associate humans with food,and have no fear.Unfortunatly it is often children that are the victims.I have made a great deal of money and spent many a night in pursuit on these attacks
 
Upvote 0
bradyboy said:
Have to say
It sure looks like a coyote due to size and height of ears
fox would be smaller, shorter ears
Just my opinion
Brady
.
coyote fox comparison.gif
 
Upvote 0
Yea Big Cy,pretty sure thats the coyote he has seen.
Brady,shave your dog down and tell me how "tall",he looks
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom