GoneDiggin_?

Aug 6, 2015
WPA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all,

First please do not beat me down like one poster has done recently. I am just asking. :) New to this sport and so excited about it.... these clubs, are they basically just social times once a month or do they help their newbies learn. What can I expect? The first meeting as a visitor - I did get suggestions on the metal detector to start off with. I took the suggestion and I do like the Model. Basically I am learning by myself. But are the meetings just for raising funds - 50/50's, and such? I did go to a spring hunt when I got my metal detector - I was happy with my finds - dumb luck...lol. I guess that I thought a "club" would help others new comers learn their machine and take them under their their wing to learn. I do not mean to give up their spots. Am I expecting too much in the way of help and learning? Kinda confused.... I keep going to the meetings - but I am confused.

I keep going out huntin and trying ....

Thanks.... Momma

Upvote 0

TheRingFinder

Bronze Member
May 22, 2013
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab - E-Trac / Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think like anything, it's all depends on you. I myself have no interest in joining a club, though others like the social aspect and hunts. I'm a bit of a loner and prefer to hunt with a buddy or two and that's it. It's hard enough to find good spots and sharing them with a club would be disastrous in my view. The old timers in the club could probably help you out, but most of all - detecting is about putting in the time and learning the machine. I wish you the best of luck!

MrMikeJackie

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2013
Long Island
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030,
Xp Deus,
That's it, I'm done.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Do yourself a favor, keep the hobby to yourself. Trust me, you will get burned.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
gone-diggin: the day & age of "clubs" began to decline at the advent of the internet. Nowadays, people get their learnings, boastings (show & tell), Q&A, socializing (meeting/hunting with others locally) ALL THROUGH THE COMFORT OF THEIR living room sofa, on their home 'puter.

In the old days, we had to go to monthly meetings to learn the "rumor mill" of latest technology. Now that's done via the net. In the old days you had to go to club meetings to see what others were finding, or show off your finds. Now that's all done through the net. Id targets, meet others, socialize, learn, mentor, etc... were all done via the clubs. Now it's all done on the net through printed text and pictures. Hence R.I.P. for the brick & mortar clubs. They only exist in very big cities now.

And notice that persons like (in this post ) ring-finder and MrMike-Jackie will 'diss "clubs". Yet notice (via their forum participation #'s) are basically, essentially "in a club" and BY NO MEANS therefore "lone rangers". They are getting their social interaction via the net. Nothing wrong with that, but just pointing out that one "club" has merely replaced another "club".

And to get back to your original question: If you waltz into a club with expectations that people should show you stuff , teach you, etc... then ask yourself: How willing are you to do that to the person/newbie who walks through those doors ?

As a past club president, I had no shortage of folks wanting to come in , ask questions, and expect certain outcome. But then I began to notice that these very same people rarely lifted a finger to help in the functions of the club offices, setting up hunts, helping newbies, etc.....

MrMikeJackie

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2013
Long Island
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030,
Xp Deus,
That's it, I'm done.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Social interaction via the net and face to face meetings are two totally diff things.

MrMikeJackie

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2013
Long Island
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030,
Xp Deus,
That's it, I'm done.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Listen I'm not saying someone can't join a club and have a great experience. That's just not true. I however had a bad experience with a club. I had guys befriend me only to learn my spots and tell everyone. Other guys calling you out on your finds, others who do the wrong thing for the hobby but aren't reprimanded, etc. Maybe the club I joined was just a bad one. But the difference here is I can avoid someone or something if I want to . At a club you just can't.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Listen I'm not saying someone can't join a club and have a great experience. That's just not true. I however had a bad experience with a club. I had guys befriend me only to learn my spots and tell everyone. Other guys calling you out on your finds, others who do the wrong thing for the hobby but aren't reprimanded, etc. Maybe the club I joined was just a bad one. But the difference here is I can avoid someone or something if I want to . At a club you just can't.

Hmm, I've had the "claim-jumping" phenomenom (drama, adults bickering over who's site is who's) EVEN ON THE NET. Because even with a national forum, you tend to learn who's nearby your area, right ? And sometimes even meet up with them to hunt together (or do you hunt 100% alone too?). I've met up with persons before, because they've seen my avetar/location, and we agree to hit here or there. And the SAME "political issues" can arise. Believe me.

So not even internet forums avoid that.

Thus no matter how you slice it, Joe L is right:

This website (Treasurenet) is a club, we just don't meet face to face. I'm at the meeting right now.

The internet md'ing websites of today is merely the "clubs" of yesteryear.

MrMikeJackie

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2013
Long Island
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030,
Xp Deus,
That's it, I'm done.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well not for me at least, that's why I'm here and not there.

Skippy SH13

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2015
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think Tom's right. I totally get my "club needs" filled through TreasureNet. The thought of meeting up with a bunch of creepy MDers just weirds me out. I mean have you SEEN those people in the parks? *Grin*

Seriously though, T-Net is a great social club! I can't think of any reason, other than local campaigning for law improvements, that I'd want to engage with a club. As a lone hunter (or with my son), I'm not interested in club sharing. I'll occasionally talk with other MDers in the field, but they, like me, don't talk specifics, other than items (locations are always vague, like "city park"). Any club conversations I've had with the local MDers has been around civic interaction with their city government (many of the surrounding cities aren't nearly as friendly to MDers as mine is). Clubs can make a huge difference there! For me, in my city, MDers are already welcome.

Skippy

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
"Always keep your big finds - or the sale of them - to yourself. Never share your research secrets or techniques with friends. Metal detecting, treasure hunting and gold prospecting clubs, can be excellent ways for a new treasure hunter to learn how to use, buy, and sell the tools of the trade. New members rarely find anything significant on club hunts or claims, but they do gain basic information on how to conduct research, use their machines properly, and how to recover their targets correctly." - http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/general-discussion/471740-terry-s-tips-new-forum-members-3.html#post4648535

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Depends on the club. I belonged to a local one for a while but it was not what I expected. Monthly meetings were good - but it was mostly show and tell for purchased coins. There were no "field outing" hunts.

We did have an annual picnic that was fun and included a planted hunt. Silver coins and tokens (Lincoln Cents with stamped numbers) for prizes. And that was also a great opportunity to try each other's detectors or check out new models. It was an opportunity to meet like minded folks and plan small hunts. Some guest speakers of local history or coin collectors were very interesting. I guess it made sense not to have van-loads of detectorists all going to one spot. And most members were pretty tight lipped about their hunting spots - which was only natural.

Still, it was a good bunch of guys. I just had too much else going on my free week nights so I dropped out. And then the meeting site host (Gander Mt.) was flooded out of existence in our area. Never touched base with the group again but probably should.

MrMikeJackie

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2013
Long Island
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030,
Xp Deus,
That's it, I'm done.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well if in you're eyes they are the same, then you are correct. I belong to this "club"

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Clubs are what the members make it. Join one and see if you like it. If not, don't renew. Ours has informational programs and planted hunts as well as "wild" hunts. I have a couple of regular hunting buddies, but, I like the competition with the whole group as well. It's also better to have a big solid group when local political/legal regulations issues crop up.

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 TELEKINETICS 4000 GARRET AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To each his own, Different strokes for different folks and all that jazz. If knowledge is what your after being a member of "this" club will get it for you. I joined as a newbie to detecting 9 months ago and have learned a great deal by surfing the threads and asking dumb questions. BUT... if you don't know the answer, it's not a dumb question. You can learn something from everyone whether a local club or this fourm. Try both. Good luck!! HH RN

WhiteTornado

Jun 18, 2013
Baltimore/DC area
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Cibola, Garrett Pro-pointer, Sampson T-handle Shovel, Lesche hand digger, Garrett and Gray Ghost Ultimate headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Clubs are what the members make it. Join one and see if you like it. If not, don't renew. Ours has informational programs and planted hunts as well as "wild" hunts. I have a couple of regular hunting buddies, but, I like the competition with the whole group as well. It's also better to have a big solid group when local political/legal regulations issues crop up.

That pretty much sums it up for me. I belong to a well-run club and I think that makes a significant difference. I know they have been successful in handling legal/regulatory issues for us with the local pols.

OP
OP
G

GoneDiggin_?

Aug 6, 2015
WPA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I air my opinions to the president.... basically a show and tell, financials, 50/50's... winners are the same each month ..... I sit during the meetings and listen to comments made by members under their breath about visitors.... sorry to say this - don't take me wrong as an "older female" lol - it is an old boys club (sorry).... maybe one more hunt then I am done.... I am happy finding the things I find.... I am not looking for hunting spots of others. Heck we could go out in the parking lot and they could help me...lol.... I feel bad for the prez - lol - I have been in that position before in other work related groups.... planned hunts... the one person planting the items came up big time.... I think momma is gonna fly solo after September.... I am happy with my finds.... I am happy with clad - a few coins - or when I find find something of history from the 1800's vs a fishing reel.....lol... Gonna fly solo - if I meet someone while I am out - chit chat - lol I am happy in my own way :) worst thing is that I no longer have long finger nails...lol... and lots of holes in my gloves - I keep diggin for fun.... happy hunting you all!

OP
OP
G

GoneDiggin_?

Aug 6, 2015
WPA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep - Had someone actually ask me if I really found something - tress grow and push their treasures up to the surface.... that early 1800's button that I found in a park on the main street - I had the thrill of my life - holding history in my hand - wow!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread