Just wait until you graduate from roll-searching to cherrypicking

bigscores

Aug 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you have any numismatic inclinations at all that is. Pulled a nice coin today that's probably worth around $1,000. Paid $8. And got a 40% silver half in that bunch too. :) If you estimate melt on the 40% half and toss in face value for the quarter, dime and cent also in there, you're looking at a net cost of $2.50 for that $1,000 coin. I'm sure some of the more intelligent individuals here will be able to figure out what it is.

I'll get it slabbed, flip it, and buy something nice with the proceeds. Or maybe just add it to my CRH capital. Or maybe just buy a whole bunch of junk silver.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
bigscores

bigscores

Aug 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You guys are hopeless.

crhstreetwalker

Apr 27, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I don't like this riddle. You give no indication as to what it could be, you say a 40% half was included with the lot you paid $8 for. That's it. The face value of a dime, quarter, and cent are irrelevant to the riddle. You could have cherrypicked a 09SVDB to a MS66 $2.50 eagle.

Last edited:
OP
OP
bigscores

bigscores

Aug 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't like this riddle. You give no indication as to what it could be, you say a 40% half was included with the lot you paid $8 for. That's it. The face value of a dime, quarter, and cent are irrelevant to the riddle. You could have cherrypicked a 09SVDB to a MS66 $5 eagle.

The face value of a dime, quarter and a cent were subtracted from the total because they were acquired with the money coin and the 40% silver half...

Bigheed

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
this isn't a numismatic forum, although it is discussed here as a sidebar.
just cough it up!

crhstreetwalker

Apr 27, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
The face value of a dime, quarter and a cent were subtracted from the total because they were acquired with the money coin and the 40% silver half...

It didn't sound that way in the OP, sorry. So $8 minus $.36 in clad I'm assuming that was in the lot, minus $5.11 melt for a 40% = $2.53 for the one coin you acquired that's worth $1000. You still give absolutely no indication of what it might be. As I said, it could be anything from the 1909SVDB to the eagle. Bad riddle.

OP
OP
bigscores

bigscores

Aug 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It didn't sound that way in the OP, sorry. So $8 minus $.36 in clad I'm assuming that was in the lot, minus $5.11 melt for a 40% = $2.53 for the one coin you acquired that's worth $1000. You still give absolutely no indication of what it might be. As I said, it could be anything from the 1909SVDB to the eagle. Bad riddle.

Totally overthinking it. Cherrypicking isn't buying something obvious... this was purchased from a dealer, if that helps you.

Eminem

Banned
Jul 20, 2012
Motor City
Detector(s) used
Not sure
Primary Interest:
Other
He obviously bought 1000 face value of clad from a dealer... Duh!

maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other

I like the can you spot the 40% game better. HH, Maverick.

Bigheed

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
if its a bunch, i'll say they're all silver halves since you said there was a 40%.....maybe its one of those obverse Walkers....I found one in a box last month, terrible condition but filled a slot in my book!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread