Legend vs Realitiy

Barber..

Jan 15, 2012
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well they might as well get the ban hammer ready, I can see where this is going.

Cubfan64

Silver Member
Feb 13, 2006
New Hampshire - USA
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Teknetics T2 & Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Someones feelings got hurt......it's not ok to respond in kind to the many insults he's made within this topic.
The whole thing should be deleted IMO.

I don't want to get banned so I'm not going to get overly defensive, but I would hope it's fair to question a person's credibility especially in cases where they continuously make grandiose claims over many years. I will strive to be more polite in my questions and comments and hope to get the same civility in return.

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence do they not?

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"Users may disagree with the decisions or actions of the moderators and/or administrators, however, disagreements, criticism and the like are not to be aired within the forums. Please feel free to PM the person directly rather than air your dirty laundry in public. "

You can question a member's claim. you can not attack, insult, mock or talk down to a member.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I don't want to get banned so I'm not going to get overly defensive, but I would hope it's fair to question a person's credibility especially in cases where they continuously make grandiose claims over many years. I will strive to be more polite in my questions and comments and hope to get the same civility in return.

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence do they not?

[Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence do they not?]
Nope. Not on TreasureNet.

In such a case as the subject , I'm reminded of someone I knew describing a "desert rat" in Arizona he kind of was tickled with. Not by looking down on the guy but rather interested in him for interests sake.
The man was who he was. And did turn up goodies valued by him. Even if only small pieces of turquoise on a given day, they were important to what he did in the desert.
His ways were his ways. And accepting him as unique , pretty much was reciprocated.
I'm not saying that works for me all the time. But when proof or evidence is not allowed to be demanded (and yes I've tried that before) , I know what to expect for doing so.

So , enjoy the tales. Or dodge them. Legends need not be based on truth or reality even if the writer chooses neither , one, or both .
Sometimes it's about the writer more than the subject(s).

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What part of rules is not understood?

Cubfan64

Silver Member
Feb 13, 2006
New Hampshire - USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
[Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence do they not?]
Nope. Not on TreasureNet.

In such a case as the subject , I'm reminded of someone I knew describing a "desert rat" in Arizona he kind of was tickled with. Not by looking down on the guy but rather interested in him for interests sake.
The man was who he was. And did turn up goodies valued by him. Even if only small pieces of turquoise on a given day, they were important to what he did in the desert.
His ways were his ways. And accepting him as unique , pretty much was reciprocated.
I'm not saying that works for me all the time. But when proof or evidence is not allowed to be demanded (and yes I've tried that before) , I know what to expect for doing so.

So , enjoy the tales. Or dodge them. Legends need not be based on truth or reality even if the writer chooses neither , one, or both .
Sometimes it's about the writer more than the subject(s).

Yeah, those are wise words and you're right of course. 99% of the time I try to just ignore, move quickly past or just not engage with folks like that, but man oh man, now and then the arrogance and snide ridicule of being talked "down to" as if we couldn't possibly grasp the intellectual acuity needed to understand someone's claims just reaches a point where I snap.

I'll try to just sit back and take a breath next time :)

somehiker

Silver Member
May 1, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What part of rules is not understood?

Since you asked......the part where the primary offender's insulting and denigrating posts seem to be judged as ok by the mods. Just my take though, and not my responsibility.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since you asked......the part where the primary offender's insulting and denigrating posts seem to be judged as ok by the mods. Just my take though, and not my responsibility.

Did you report it, I cant find any reports from you.

somehiker

Silver Member
May 1, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did you report it, I cant find any reports from you.

Not my style. Laughing too hard most of the time to be able to type anyhow.
But like others have said.....it sometimes gets to the point where one's patience reaches the breaking point.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
But like others have said.....it sometimes gets to the point where one's patience reaches the breaking point.
As do the mods, all please post by the rules......Thank you.

Cubfan64

Silver Member
Feb 13, 2006
New Hampshire - USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

SH - looking through other treasure tale topics and other subtopics here on TNet, disagreements, arguments, discussions, etc... happen all the time but the mods don't have the time, nor should they, to go through all the posts to make sure all the rules and guidelines are being followed to the letter.

It's those few instances where someone perceives a slight they think for whatever reason crosses some "line" or they just decide to flex a little and it gets reported - which then the mods have to of course follow through on. When you go by the letter of rules for the forum, there's a ton of posts that could be deleted, but virtually all of them are handled "in house" so to speak without the mods having to get involved.

I've reported a few over my years, but my "line" is different from yours whose line is different from X's, etc.... you see where I'm going with this :). A little more leeway would be nice - sort of like pass interference in football where the officials allow some grabbing and pushing back and forth, but you KNOW what pass interference is when you see it and it's called right more often than not.

Oh well - no skin off my teeth I guess.

Matthew Roberts

Bronze Member
Apr 27, 2013
Paradise Valley, Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some people have certain personality disorders that makes them crave attention and it makes little difference to them if that attention is good or bad. Social media like Facebook, Twitter and forums are tailor made for them. It gives them the platform they need to satisfy their desires for attention. These people are easily spotted. They will either start their own nonsense but if no attention is paid they will inject themselves into someone elses topic and proceed to hijack it in a number of predictable ways. The bottom line for them is, let's everybody talk about ME and keep talking about me.

The best thing to do, what I try to do is just not respond at all to the attention seeker because that is exactly what they want, you to engage with them. That is when you get taken for a ride down their special rabbit hole.

Singlestack Wonder

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2014
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
believe what you want ..we all grew up in a modern world waltz saw things very different then we do .. you see two clues i see one ...! to me he is talking about the same clue because it is the way he saw it .. i gave you what i could . when is someone two faced ? good luck ...

PS yes i found the real LDM ..!

Great job! Please post images showing the gold inside.

Al D

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2011
Gold canyon AZ
Detector(s) used
DJI Air 2S
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I have been researching the LDM since around 1980, and I have found that almost everyone has something valuable to offer....even Bob Ward got some things right. Point is, I have never and never would tell someone that they will never find it, or that they don’t know enough about it to look. These types of responses are discussion killers IMO.

somehiker

Silver Member
May 1, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some people have certain personality disorders that makes them crave attention and it makes little difference to them if that attention is good or bad. Social media like Facebook, Twitter and forums are tailor made for them. It gives them the platform they need to satisfy their desires for attention. These people are easily spotted. They will either start their own nonsense but if no attention is paid they will inject themselves into someone elses topic and proceed to hijack it in a number of predictable ways. The bottom line for them is, let's everybody talk about ME and keep talking about me.

The best thing to do, what I try to do is just not respond at all to the attention seeker because that is exactly what they want, you to engage with them. That is when you get taken for a ride down their special rabbit hole.

Actually, I did bring the mods attention to one post made on this forum. Some might remember it.
It was several years ago.....don't remember which thread....where the individual had become upset and was responding abusively to anyone who questioned that he would, in fact, show up at the LDM Rendezvous that year.
His final comment (at least for the year he was subsequently banned) was that he would indeed attend, and that he would also ("fact") have his 30-30 with him.
Keeping in mind that there had been similar comments made on other websites, prior to tragedies of various degrees, I reported that one.

Last edited:

Barber..

Jan 15, 2012
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, looks like I caused a ruckus.. Wasn't my intent, I was just making a joke.. But it's over now and I'll try not to cause anymore trouble..

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread