What's new

Life & Death-- picture added

Re: Life & Death

I know the feelings, I lost my 12 year old cat to a big cancerous toumer. Oliver underfoot was a pal and a great friend. I posted here under RIP and my message got sent to oblivion somewhere . Glad yours got posted. Bob
 
Re: Life & Death

THE FINAL CHAPTER
Gracie went to sleep for the last time 5/2/11 at 11:30
I lost my best friend

In memory of Gracie
We had an unwritten,unspoken agreement, I looked after her and she looked after me. We
traveled all over the USA looking for caches,nuggets and other adventure. In the motorhome she would sleep just below the the overhead bed. She would alert me if something was outside. She could hear a cat walking at 100' away. At home she slept on my bed. She would give me 5 min. to settle in then creep up and lay on the side of the bed toward the door. If she heard something outside, she would move to the window side. She use to walk the trails with me. One time we were walking thru a field and three hounds came charging towards us. Gracie took three bounds forward and started barking. The hounds turned and ran. She was afraid of nothing but lightning and thunder. She was a big girl at 80# and she carried it well. She was gentle and bothered no one. If someone came up to talk to me, Gracie would position herself between us. Her favorite treat was when I would stop at a Cracklebarrel or Bob Evans. I would always order the breakfast with double portions. I would put half in a takeout box, cut it up and present it to her. She never begged when I eat because she knew she would get her share.
I have to go now, thanks for all the support. Frank

Gracie in her younger days
 

Attachments

  • gracie-3.webp
    gracie-3.webp
    20.3 KB · Views: 470
Re: Life & Death

Lonesome BOB: I am very sorry that I did not see your post. Despite any silly remarks, I do like yowlers, they can be so committed also. Maybe my Pooper can say hi to her, she actually liked cats also. It is a bit silly but the neighbors cats all seem to like me and the doggies do follow me around, it has gotten to be a local joke.

yes, I do love to hear that contented purrrrrr, but not the claws kneading, stretching, and retracting with me in them hehheheheh


Don Jose de La Mancha

.
 
Re: Life & Death-- picture added

Frankn ,
Sorry . I'd type more , but the screen is gettin blurry for some reason .
Jim
 
Re: Life & Death-- picture added

Frankn,

I am very sorry to hear about losing Gracie your "partner."......I know your loss, I have owned 6 boxers in my life, the first was hit by a car, the rest died of natural causes...(kidney failure, cancer, brain tumors and heart attacks) Every one of them was a member of the family and my best friend.......

It has been 13 years since I lost my last one and I still miss them.....Current wife is allergic to dog and cat fur so now I have 2 parrots.....
 
Re: Life & Death-- picture added

Good night, Gracie...sleep well...
 
Re: Life & Death-- picture added

I'm so sorry to hear all this.

It will be 4 years on August 19th that I lost my little girl. I still cry over her. She was part of my sole.

I have to believe that there is an afterlife for them - and that it will be forever with us. God would not, could not, be so cruel as to have a heaven without our beloved creatures, because - it would not be heaven.

Beth
 
Re: Life & Death-- picture added

for those of you that responded, sorry Frankyn, but I needed it and a clean towel myself -->



this was played 'over and over' on the radio for some reason the night my pooper died, snifff
It has become a sort of theme song for my poopy.




Don Jose de La Mancha
 
Re: Life & Death-- picture added

Dang, you people, you're making me weep! Seriously and sincerely, though, I know what it's like to lose a beloved pet. We've had many and lost many. Just last Sunday in church, the lady who tells the children's story to all the kiddos, declined. She'd found one of her own deceased that morning, and her heart was broken. We all boohoo'd. What really breaks my heart is when someone loses a pet, they decline to get another, saying how they cannot stand to go through that heartache again. What they don't realize is how much joy they and the pet would know if they just did it "one more time." Pets are wonderful caregivers. Don't be afraid to do it again. They need us. And we need them.
 
Re: Life & Death-- picture added

My problem is I am 73 and am starting to feel new pains. Maybe I will join Gracie soon.
Frank
 
Re: Life & Death-- picture added

Frankn You posted -->My problem is I am 73 and am starting to feel new pains. Maybe I
will join Gracie soon.
********
Shucks yer still on your second childhod my friend, I am 87. Relax, I felt the same way after
they took my Poopy away.

We both should be taking Noodles advice. There are many lost or abandoned little friends
out there that need us desperately, as much as we need them. I may start looking for another poopie.

I am sure that poopie would approve. Thanks noodle

Don Jose de La Mancha
 
Re: Life & Death-- picture added

Gee Frankn your Gracie wouldn't want you to feel like that, many of us aren't "spring chickens" any more. We lost our last doggie 4 yrs ago, and it near broke our hearts. But we have some lovely pictures and memories of her, and we will never forget our "Rosie," As time goes by, the pain does ease, but remember Gracie had a good, and happy life with someone who loved her very much.
It's strange, but about 18 months ago, an elderly cat adopted us. He wasn't a feral cat, but probably from someone who had moved house, or an owner who had died. Anyhow he looked a poor ole thing in need of a good feed and some TLC. After he settled down with us, we took him to a Vet for a checkup. He needed teeth out, and all the usual shots. Yes he is old but we have grown to love him.
One day another pet will come along quite by accident who will need some TLC from you, and you will give it, just as you did to Gracie.

Take care now 'U'
 
Re: Life & Death-- picture added

Dang Frankn,
I didn't even know you and Gracie and I teared up. I've got 1 in my chair right now and his brother not 6 feet away. I put another in the 'Family Cemetary' right next to her sister 2 months ago. I can't feel your pain but imagine I can come close. The only consolation is knowing you provided for them as well as they accept us and our shortcomings.

You now have to decide if you want another. Knowing that you may not want to have it outlive you, might I suggest rescuing a dog other than a puppy.

regards-
C-dad
 
Re: Life & Death-- picture added

calisdad said:
Dang Frankn,
I didn't even know you and Gracie and I teared up. I've got 1 in my chair right now and his brother not 6 feet away. I put another in the 'Family Cemetary' right next to her sister 2 months ago. I can't feel your pain but imagine I can come close. The only consolation is knowing you provided for them as well as they accept us and our shortcomings.

You now have to decide if you want another. Knowing that you may not want to have it outlive you, might I suggest rescuing a dog other than a puppy.

regards-
C-dad
I like the way you think . Relieves some of the burden on your kids asking 'What are we going to do with Mom/Dad's pet when she/he is gone ?'
 
Re: Life & Death-- picture added

Wells here's the situation. My son who lives with me lost his bulldog several weeks ago then I lost Gracie on the 2ND. There is another dog here,Charles. He has outlived my sister and my mother. I promised her that I would take care of Charles. He is a king Charles cavalier that is 13 years old. There is a house cat, Morris, who drifted in one day and stayed. He is real old and sometimes falls over. I live on a country road that seams to be ideal for dumping cats. They home in on my place. I now have 13 cats outside that I feed. The nice lady from Palls takes them to the vets for a checkup, shots and to be "fixed". I just keep wondering who's next. The pain in my shoulder and chest appears to be easing. I think I pulled something when I was working on the tractor. I can now pick things up with my right hand again. Frank
 
Re: Life & Death-- picture added

All of these things seem to happen at once Frank, but unfortunately thats all part of life. But things WILL move on for you again. But just think of how many other pets... and animals...are benefiting from your kindness. I am pleased to hear that you are feeling a little better tho. We have a saying over here, not sure if it's used in the US......"keep your chin up" things will get better. Take care now.. :icon_sunny:

'U'
 
Re: Life & Death-- picture added

Sorry for your loss Frankn. I know how you fell.

I worked with a rescue organization for golden retrievers for a number of years. Each dog we adopted was old and we were simply giving it a good home to live out it's life.

One in particular, Rudy, was an awesome old timer. He walked by my side from day one, was so loyal I just could not understand how someone could abuse such a beautiful dog. He was found in a sewage treatment plant, near death, badly diseased from the waste water. After all the vet trips we took him home and my god what a wonderful dog he was. They had no idea how old he was but his teeth were worn down to almost nothing so they figured he was up there in years.

One day he coughed up blood and the vet xrayed him. Cancer had riddled his body yet he ran and played like nothing at all was wrong with him.

All the vet said was not to let him suffer. And we didn't. It seemed so wrong to put him down when he was so vibrant and playful, but we all know, they just can't tell us if they are hurting.

After several dogs, I had to stop. The pain of losing a dog every year or two was too much. Doesn't take much to love an animal whan they show unconditional love for the simple life we give them.

Al
 
Re: Life & Death-- picture added

It just seems that there is no end to it. They say that bad things happen in threes. We had a cat that we just called littlest pussycat. She was a small wonder in from about 5 years ago. She would stay in all winter and in the spring and summer she would take off for weekly trips somewhere then return. Yesterday I went out to cut the grass. The mower just shut off at the end of one cut. I looked ahead and there was littlest pussycat. She had almost made it back from her final trip. She had not been attacked. It looked like she just fell over from a heart attack or something. She is now resting in the cemetery. The dark world is hard to cope with. Frank
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom