LOST DUTCHMAN MINE Movies & TV

Nov 2, 2009
LOST DUTCHMAN MINE Movies & TV

The Lost Dutchman mine was brought to popular attention by the 1949 film Lust
for Gold, starring Glenn Ford as Jacob Waltz. "Did you see this" or any other Movies or good tv shows about the Lost Dutchmans Mine. Did you think some aspects of hollywoods portrayal were true to "LIFE" What are those aspects? And what else did you like or find interesting. I believe this is a family friendly topic here on TreasureNet. And most probably a relation to the many topics already here. I would love to hear everyones comments. Thankyou Everyone and Thankyou "TNET"

Attachments

• lust_for_gold_.jpg
    lust_for_gold_.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 10,504

Cubfan64

Silver Member
Feb 13, 2006
New Hampshire - USA
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Teknetics T2 & Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: LOST DUTCHMAN MINE Movies & TV

Just got it in the mail yesterday and will watch it tonight. I've also gotten copies of a few documentaries that are really fun to watch - I'll list them tonight when I get home from work.

somehiker

Silver Member
May 1, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

One location of footage that was true to life in "lust for Gold".

Regards:SH.

Attachments

• LFG rock formation.jpg
    LFG rock formation.jpg
    198.6 KB · Views: 10,504

Cubfan64

Silver Member
Feb 13, 2006
New Hampshire - USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Well I'll be darned - is that where I think it is SH?? If so, I have you to thank for sending me that way :)

somehiker

Silver Member
May 1, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Paul:
Yes it is.Can't miss that unique location in the movie,either.
Wonder if Storm suggested the location....and why?
An egotistical wish to see some of his favourite places in a Hollywood movie? :dontknow:

Regards:Wayne

Cubfan64

Silver Member
Feb 13, 2006
New Hampshire - USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

1) A&E 1998 The Lost Dutchman Mine
2) In Search of The Lost Dutchman Mine (parts 1, 2 & 3)
3) The Lost Dutchman Mine - 1973 16mm film documentary
4) World of Treasure - Lost Dutchman Mine
5) Various short video clips

OP
OP
SANTA FE NEW MEXICAN
Nov 2, 2009

Update: September 15, 2010: The Oscar winning actor Nicolas Cage has recently lost a huge chunk of his multi-million dollar empire that has left him bankrupt. The actor is doing all types of roles and saying ‘yes’ to every movie that comes his way. Nic Cage Quoted: "Im not broke! What financial ruin? I still have some National Treasure!" Title: National Treasure 3 or 4?
Genre: Adventure/Action
Directed by: Jon Turteltaub
Written by: ?
Likely Starring:
Nicolas Cage, John V Kemm, Jim Hatt, Tom Kollenborn, Clay Worst, Michael Hill,? plus many new and upcoming actors extras and historians from Arizona and New Mexico. For more info contact Nicolas Cage/Saturn Films.

Javaone

Aug 9, 2010
Phoenix

SANTA FE NEW MEXICAN said:
Update: September 15, 2010: The Oscar winning actor Nicolas Cage has recently lost a huge chunk of his multi-million dollar empire that has left him bankrupt. The actor is doing all types of roles and saying ‘yes’ to every movie that comes his way. Nic Cage Quoted: "Im not broke! What financial ruin? I still have some National Treasure!" Title: National Treasure 3 or 4?
Genre: Adventure/Action
Directed by: Jon Turteltaub
Written by: ?
Likely Starring:
Nicolas Cage, John V Kemm, Jim Hatt, Tom Kollenborn, Clay Worst, Michael Hill,? plus many new and upcoming actors extras and historians from Arizona and New Mexico. For more info contact Nicolas Cage/Saturn Films.

Downer!... ???

Upper!... :hello2: Raiders of the Lost Ark

New OldTimer

Sep 23, 2005
Eden, NC

Cubfan64 said:
1) A&E 1998 The Lost Dutchman Mine
2) In Search of The Lost Dutchman Mine (parts 1, 2 & 3)
3) The Lost Dutchman Mine - 1973 16mm film documentary
4) World of Treasure - Lost Dutchman Mine
5) Various short video clips
You all also left out an episode of one of the original Maverick TV series about Jacob Walz. And the sonf that Walter Brennan
recorded - "Dutchman's Gold". I have the episode on disc, and also the original Walter Brennan 45 on MGM release.

Nugget Hunter Smith

Jun 18, 2010
Mobile, AL
Detector(s) used
MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

A couple of years ago (2008) I appeared in the TV series "Mystery Hunters" about the Lost Dutchman Mine. They originally had Tom Kollenborn to be the local historian but he could not make it and he asked me to fill in. I still have not seen the show but I know of people in KS that have. Prt of it was fimed out at Goldfield Ghost Town, north of Apache Junction.

Lust for Gold is a great movie, as it combines several versions of the tale into one. Has many views of the Superstitions in the movie and some great actors doing bit parts.

Nov 2, 2011
San Antonio, Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Hello eveyone, I just joined this site and would like to let everyone know that the Travel Channel just aired Ritches Etched In Stone on the episode "Eastland Disaster and Smuttynose Murders". It discusses the Peralta Stones and makes a possible connection with the Lost Dutchman Mine. It is only 2:49 long but very interesting. Some of the story seems different than what I read (in relation to Waltz and the way he aquires the mine). Anyway, enjoy... :thumbsup:

matm_ep_205_228x128.jpg

Here's the link: http://www.travelchannel.com/Video/riches-etched-in-stone-16522

Hal Croves

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2010

rr-electricangel,
Thank you for posting the link. The video of the stones is simply beautiful and well edited. I am sorry to hear that your request for a permit was denied. If you find the time, please write about your experience with the permitting process as many of the readers here on TN would appreciate your insight.

Hal

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona

Hal Croves said:
rr-electricangel,
Thank you for posting the link. The video of the stones is simply beautiful and well edited. I am sorry to hear that your request for a permit was denied. If you find the time, please write about your experience with the permitting process as many of the readers here on TN would appreciate your insight.

Hal

Hal,

Are you assuming that Phil Rhinehardt is rr-electricangel? :dontknow:

Thanks,

Joe

BenThereDoneThat

Feb 27, 2008
Apache Junction, AZ
Detector(s) used
MXT 300 / Javelina Gold Trommel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Thats what I thought.. little self promotion? no biggie,....just didnt post it

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona

Tim,

That was my thought as well. The fact that multiple posts were made here, as well as other sites, shows some connection to the film.....IMHO. Of course, we could be wrong. :dontknow:

Take care,

Joe

Hal Croves

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2010

cactusjumper-
I thought that the posted photograph of Phil (and the link to his interview) made that quite obvious. Please let me know if I am wrong, but I am not sure what your concern is over?

BenThereDoneThat,
Regarding "a little self promotion"... one could look at it that way, however I think that in the end the story is really about the stones and their care in the hands of the Superstition Mountain Museum. Phil is part of that care and for that I am honestly grateful.

Hal Croves

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2010

cactusjumper
Fair enough, however simple questions typically come from simple people and I honestly doubt that you have ever been described as a "simple" man. Anyway, perhaps your response was more polite than candid. I have only spoken to Phil twice and was impressed, however I know that some people have an issue with the man... I hope that you are not one of them.

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona

Hal,

I have met and talked to Phil a number of times. He asked me for some advise a number of years ago at one of the Rendezvous'. We have exchanged numerous emails, on a variaty of subjects over that time.

He asked for, and received, permission to include my map in his book. In return I was given a signed first edition.

I am aware of many, if not all, of the stories concerning Phil, Chuck Crawford and the museum.

Having said that, I don't really have a strong opinion of the man, pro or con. Our contacts have always been cordial.

Take care,

Joe

Hal Croves

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2010

cactusjumper,
There are always two sides to every story and I think that remaining neutral is not only a smart approach but also a fair one. Thank you for being honest! :icon_salut:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread