What's new

🥇 BANNER Low hopes and an entry level detector but I still ended up finding an awesome relic!

coinman123

Silver Member
Joined
Feb 21, 2013
Messages
4,676
Reaction score
5,768
Golden Thread
2
Location
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
2
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
Anyways, Today I headed out to a place that did not look that good. I have tried with my T2 before but never found much but shotgun shells and pulltabs but gave it a try today. I decided to bring someone along and let them use my T2 while I used my old Fisher F2 from two years ago (did I mention that it goes crazy and will frantically beep due to the coil cable being lose). Anyways, I was not expecting much when I got a signal right in the middle of the biggest patch of poison ivy in the whole place. I figured it was worth it and dug. I battled through roots and leaves (which unfortunately were poison ivy leaves) after some digging the find was out. I let my hunting partner use the pinpointer which is already not much use considering it was a freebie that came with the metal detector (I'm getting my Pro-Pointer in the mail this Thursday :)). Anyways, I dig out a weird piece of metal, I quickly can tell it's a sundial. I figure it's not much and probably 1930's garden. I finish the hunt with a handful of pulltabs, some shotgun shells, beer cans, a cool 1980's coke bottle which I kept :), and a nice pair of hedgeclippers that were on the surface laying against a log that are sure to go to good use. Anyways, after I got home I saw that sundial looks to be colonial and made of pewter and made best relic of the year on some website. I was thrilled after reading that what looked like a poor find is really something great. I guess that what I have always told people I metal detect is true, it does not matter how bad a place is or how poor you may think your metal detector is, good finds can still pop up out of no where.

It's in very bad condition, to the point of where parts of the edge are crumbling in my hand but it is still all there.
IMG_20150607_194433.webp

Update: Here is a better photo
sundial.webp
I just put the glue and water solution on it, it looks pretty good. I will post photos of it's

Here it is during elmer's glue cleaning...
display case soon.20150608_173022.webp
 
Last edited:
WOW!
That is an awesome piece you got there.
Bill, I thought the OP'S was Big.

Love the picture of it in your hand.
It had it's own kinda 'look' Beauty, Coolness Just Glowing off of it.

Dug some of my best relics in 1998-2000 with a Whites classic 3 ,like I said it's mostly the site not the machine.

Reckon somebody found that before ,& left it as trash .. It's so large.
Congratz on the Banner.
Davers
 
Wow guys! I just came on to see my sundial on top! Thanks so much, I never would have imagined that I would ever find something worthy of banner metal detecting. I am honored to have my find up on the banner, thanks everyone!
 
Sweet time piece congrats and happy huntinn
 
Phenomenal find! Congrats on it going Banner! That is super awesome!
I think you deserve a second Banner vote for going into all that poison ivy after it! I hope you washed you, clothes, shoes, tools & T2 off after. That stuff can be nasty, I know!
The T2 was making it all up to you.

That is so AWEOME! I am soooo HAPPY FOR YOU!!!
 
It's like I've always said too. The best detector is the one in my hand at the moment. Sure, there are "better" ones, more powerful, etc.
But, it's not the detector that makes the decision to dig.

WTG!

My detector is longer then yours.
 
congrats on your banner find!!!
 
I just contacted colonial Williamsburg asking them what they think about my find.


Also, a cool thing is colonial williamsburg makes a reproduction of a similar sundial that they have on display, made by the same pewter maker as mine. Of course the sun dial that colonial williamsburg has on display has a different design and the reproductions say "Colonial Williamsburg Pewter" on the botton. Kind of cool IMO.

(Link not working for ebay listing)

Anyways, cool that almost the exact thing I found is at a museum and they are selling similar ones in the gift shop as a novelty, funny enough, based on almost the same sundial as the one I found.
 

Attachments

  • mark1.webp
    mark1.webp
    16.4 KB · Views: 209
Last edited:
Congrats on the banner,
That is a awsome piece of history right there.
Can you imagine having to wait for the sun to come up to see what time it is?
Man I would love if we still used them.
I could tell my boss, but Sir it was cloudy today so I could not tell what time it is!!!lol
Great find CM!!!
 
Just got on after a few days away, CONGRATS on an AWESOME Find and making the Banner :thumbsup:
 
Now that is a find that's truly worthy of the BANNER! :occasion14:

Just goes to show, that sometimes treasure is never where you think it might be! :thumbsup:

Congrats Coinman,
Dave
 
Congrats on the banner,
That is a awsome piece of history right there.
Can you imagine having to wait for the sun to come up to see what time it is?
Man I would love if we still used them.
I could tell my boss, but Sir it was cloudy today so I could not tell what time it is!!!lol
Great find CM!!!
No Vino sun up ya knew it was work time Sundown it was bedtime
 
"Coin"man congrats on your amazing "Relic" Banner! I love that thing! It's so cool when something so unexpected shows up. You never head out the door thinking that you're goi g to dig a colonial sundial that day. It's kinda like my spoons. You think maybe a rare coin or some great buttons or shoe buckles. Then something totally unexpected shows up. I love your passion for this hobby and I'm very happy to see up on the Banner. It makes me very happy to see the colonial guys up there. Great job bud
 
Congratulations on finding a great colonial relic and it making Banner, guess we will have to start calling you "Sundial Man" now!!LOL
 
I like stories like this. The unexpected and never give up hunts. It sure looks good on top. Who would not want to dig an item as significant as that!
About time! haha
HH
TnMtns
 
Congrats on the banner,
That is a awsome piece of history right there.
Can you imagine having to wait for the sun to come up to see what time it is?
Man I would love if we still used them.
I could tell my boss, but Sir it was cloudy today so I could not tell what time it is!!!lol
Great find CM!!!

Yeah! er.....um....it can't be 9:30....
 
Nice digs. And congrats on your Banner find.
 
Awesome find and congrats on the banner!

Are you planning on having it restored?
 
Congrats on the banner, that 1 more than I've found. Good condition as well.
 
Guess what? Poison ivy all over my leg, can't stop itching. Will put lotion on it. Still worth it though.
 
So very cool but how are you going to get that to stay on your wrist?:laughing7: Also, get to the doctor and get some prednizone, it'll clear up in two days.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom