πŸ₯‡ BANNER Low hopes and an entry level detector but I still ended up finding an awesome relic!

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
OP
OP
coinman123

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other

DirtStalker

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2014
Upstate SC
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Coinmain did you get that mold made so you can sell them like Williamsburg

OP
OP
coinman123

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
Coinmain did you get that mold made so you can sell them like Williamsburg

:laughing7: Seems like a worthwhile investment :), it looks like they sold a bunch. I could imagine people buying them to put in there garden and see that the replica has a bent fin and is completely useless as a working sundial :) If only I knew how to make and cast molds...

Last edited:

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looking forward to seeing a pic with the Elmer's Glue mixture dried. I'm not sure how many coats are required on a larger piece like that--someone here will know.

I have one of the brass Williamsburg repro sundials with the pedestal in my backyard. It has aged well and is starting to look a bit antique though it's only about 16 years old now.

OP
OP
coinman123

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
Looking forward to seeing a pic with the Elmer's Glue mixture dried. I'm not sure how many coats are required on a larger piece like that--someone here will know.

I have one of the brass Williamsburg repro sundials with the pedestal in my backyard. It has aged well and is starting to look a bit antique though it's only about 16 years old now.

I did two coats of glue, it still feels very fragile but way better. I love the details on it after cleaning too, it seems to have brought them out. The weird thing about pewter that has been underground so long is that it doesn't feel like metal anymore, just the flaky oxidation. I have found newer pewter from 100 years ago and it feels fine to the point of it looking like silver, it's just the old pewter that has been underground so long it gets weird. First off, from the view of the edge of old pewter buttons and other relics including this sundial it looks like the pewter is in layers and is as brittle as possible, I feel it will break if I drop it.

The thing that is weird is that the outer surface is in good shape but it looks like it will fall apart from the inside out, the edges looked like the were completely flaking away and the high point where it was bent on the bottom was eroding. Now that there is glue flaking has stopped for the most part.
IMG_20150609_162132.jpg
Also, Any photos of the replica? Would be cool to see.

Last edited:

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looks great! Yes it's unfortunate what happens to pewter and pewter alloys. I have several pewter spoons and a very heavy (what appears) to be flagon lid dug in south Jersey that appears to be as old as that sun dial that is in dire need to a few coats of glue.

Sure, I'll go out and take a couple pics of the sundial in a bit :thumbsup:

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
For Coinman ... my Williamsburg reproduction sundial. It's greener in person than the iPhone pics show it. Notice the old fashioned numeral IIII (first I've noticed)! I bought the dial and the base separately at CW about 16 years ago now...beautifully made and very heavy.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 134
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 139
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 135
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 136
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 137

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
For Coinman ... my Williamsburg reproduction sundial. It's greener in person than the iPhone pics show it. Notice the old fashioned numeral IIII (first I've noticed)! I bought the dial and the base separately at CW about 16 years ago now...beautifully made and very heavy.

That's a really nice looking piece Erik. Might have to make the 45 min drive to go check 'em out. I'm sure they're way more expensive now, but do you remember what you paid for it?

DirtStalker

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2014
Upstate SC
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a really nice looking piece Erik. Might have to make the 45 min drive to go check 'em out. I'm sure they're way more expensive now, but do you remember what you paid for it?
Come on Coinman better get that mold. About to miss a sale

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi Bill, It's been a long time now...I remember it wasn't cheap because it was made with a special mold in Williamsburg (or specifically for them in the US). I'm guessing (and this is just a guess) $125 - $150 for the dial and maybe $225 for the base. The base is very heavy and the dial is definitely good quality. I'll bet you can buy them on-line these days or at least get pricing. Not sure if it's still made or made by the same folks as back then. Let me know what you find out. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
coinman123

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other

Love that! I assume that looks incredible in your garden. The patina is beautiful too.

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks, it does look nice and I'm surprised at the greenish patina that has developed over just 16 years. I saw it in the shop at CW and had to have one--it was such a cool looking and well made piece. Only thing better is the one that you now have! :occasion14:

Looking forward to seeing how you will display it when you're done with the preservation.

Love that! I assume that looks incredible in your garden. The patina is beautiful too.

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amazing relic find. Congrats on Banner! It is very worthy of the honor.

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats CM123... heard about this while out of town... very well played my man! You deserved the banner!

cbxjon

Oct 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Way, way cool ! Anything I've dug that big always has a shovel mark down the middle. good piece,,,jon

landmagnet

Aug 25, 2009
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Only just seen this. What an amazing artefact. Congrats on the BANNER :notworthy:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread