What's new

🥇 BANNER Low hopes and an entry level detector but I still ended up finding an awesome relic!

coinman123

Silver Member
Joined
Feb 21, 2013
Messages
4,676
Reaction score
5,768
Golden Thread
2
Location
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
2
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
Anyways, Today I headed out to a place that did not look that good. I have tried with my T2 before but never found much but shotgun shells and pulltabs but gave it a try today. I decided to bring someone along and let them use my T2 while I used my old Fisher F2 from two years ago (did I mention that it goes crazy and will frantically beep due to the coil cable being lose). Anyways, I was not expecting much when I got a signal right in the middle of the biggest patch of poison ivy in the whole place. I figured it was worth it and dug. I battled through roots and leaves (which unfortunately were poison ivy leaves) after some digging the find was out. I let my hunting partner use the pinpointer which is already not much use considering it was a freebie that came with the metal detector (I'm getting my Pro-Pointer in the mail this Thursday :)). Anyways, I dig out a weird piece of metal, I quickly can tell it's a sundial. I figure it's not much and probably 1930's garden. I finish the hunt with a handful of pulltabs, some shotgun shells, beer cans, a cool 1980's coke bottle which I kept :), and a nice pair of hedgeclippers that were on the surface laying against a log that are sure to go to good use. Anyways, after I got home I saw that sundial looks to be colonial and made of pewter and made best relic of the year on some website. I was thrilled after reading that what looked like a poor find is really something great. I guess that what I have always told people I metal detect is true, it does not matter how bad a place is or how poor you may think your metal detector is, good finds can still pop up out of no where.

It's in very bad condition, to the point of where parts of the edge are crumbling in my hand but it is still all there.
IMG_20150607_194433.webp

Update: Here is a better photo
sundial.webp
I just put the glue and water solution on it, it looks pretty good. I will post photos of it's

Here it is during elmer's glue cleaning...
display case soon.20150608_173022.webp
 
Last edited:
Coinmain did you get that mold made so you can sell them like Williamsburg
 
Coinmain did you get that mold made so you can sell them like Williamsburg

:laughing7: Seems like a worthwhile investment :), it looks like they sold a bunch. I could imagine people buying them to put in there garden and see that the replica has a bent fin and is completely useless as a working sundial :) If only I knew how to make and cast molds...
 
Last edited:
Looking forward to seeing a pic with the Elmer's Glue mixture dried. I'm not sure how many coats are required on a larger piece like that--someone here will know.

I have one of the brass Williamsburg repro sundials with the pedestal in my backyard. It has aged well and is starting to look a bit antique though it's only about 16 years old now.
 
Looking forward to seeing a pic with the Elmer's Glue mixture dried. I'm not sure how many coats are required on a larger piece like that--someone here will know.

I have one of the brass Williamsburg repro sundials with the pedestal in my backyard. It has aged well and is starting to look a bit antique though it's only about 16 years old now.

I did two coats of glue, it still feels very fragile but way better. I love the details on it after cleaning too, it seems to have brought them out. The weird thing about pewter that has been underground so long is that it doesn't feel like metal anymore, just the flaky oxidation. I have found newer pewter from 100 years ago and it feels fine to the point of it looking like silver, it's just the old pewter that has been underground so long it gets weird. First off, from the view of the edge of old pewter buttons and other relics including this sundial it looks like the pewter is in layers and is as brittle as possible, I feel it will break if I drop it.

The thing that is weird is that the outer surface is in good shape but it looks like it will fall apart from the inside out, the edges looked like the were completely flaking away and the high point where it was bent on the bottom was eroding. Now that there is glue flaking has stopped for the most part.
IMG_20150609_162132.webp
Also, Any photos of the replica? Would be cool to see.
 
Last edited:
Looks great! Yes it's unfortunate what happens to pewter and pewter alloys. I have several pewter spoons and a very heavy (what appears) to be flagon lid dug in south Jersey that appears to be as old as that sun dial that is in dire need to a few coats of glue.

Sure, I'll go out and take a couple pics of the sundial in a bit :thumbsup:
 
For Coinman ... my Williamsburg reproduction sundial. It's greener in person than the iPhone pics show it. Notice the old fashioned numeral IIII (first I've noticed)! I bought the dial and the base separately at CW about 16 years ago now...beautifully made and very heavy.
 

Attachments

  • 1.webp
    1.webp
    50.3 KB · Views: 184
  • 2.webp
    2.webp
    35.2 KB · Views: 181
  • 3.webp
    3.webp
    44.4 KB · Views: 189
  • 4.webp
    4.webp
    80 KB · Views: 182
  • 5.webp
    5.webp
    46.1 KB · Views: 185
For Coinman ... my Williamsburg reproduction sundial. It's greener in person than the iPhone pics show it. Notice the old fashioned numeral IIII (first I've noticed)! I bought the dial and the base separately at CW about 16 years ago now...beautifully made and very heavy.

That's a really nice looking piece Erik. Might have to make the 45 min drive to go check 'em out. I'm sure they're way more expensive now, but do you remember what you paid for it?
 
That's a really nice looking piece Erik. Might have to make the 45 min drive to go check 'em out. I'm sure they're way more expensive now, but do you remember what you paid for it?
Come on Coinman better get that mold. About to miss a sale
 
Hi Bill, It's been a long time now...I remember it wasn't cheap because it was made with a special mold in Williamsburg (or specifically for them in the US). I'm guessing (and this is just a guess) $125 - $150 for the dial and maybe $225 for the base. The base is very heavy and the dial is definitely good quality. I'll bet you can buy them on-line these days or at least get pricing. Not sure if it's still made or made by the same folks as back then. Let me know what you find out. :thumbsup:

That's a really nice looking piece Erik. Might have to make the 45 min drive to go check 'em out. I'm sure they're way more expensive now, but do you remember what you paid for it?
 
For Coinman ... my Williamsburg reproduction sundial. It's greener in person than the iPhone pics show it. Notice the old fashioned numeral IIII (first I've noticed)! I bought the dial and the base separately at CW about 16 years ago now...beautifully made and very heavy.

Love that! I assume that looks incredible in your garden. The patina is beautiful too.
 
Thanks, it does look nice and I'm surprised at the greenish patina that has developed over just 16 years. I saw it in the shop at CW and had to have one--it was such a cool looking and well made piece. Only thing better is the one that you now have! :occasion14:

Looking forward to seeing how you will display it when you're done with the preservation.

Love that! I assume that looks incredible in your garden. The patina is beautiful too.
 
Amazing relic find. Congrats on Banner! It is very worthy of the honor.
 
Congrats CM123... heard about this while out of town... very well played my man! You deserved the banner!
 
Way, way cool ! Anything I've dug that big always has a shovel mark down the middle. good piece,,,jon
 
Only just seen this. What an amazing artefact. Congrats on the BANNER :notworthy:
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom