What's new

Maine whats it?

mainer

Silver Member
Joined
May 3, 2005
Messages
3,405
Reaction score
38
Golden Thread
0
Location
Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey all, found this up here in Maine today, and am not sure exactly what it is? Spear point or Knife? I beleive its flint. It measures 4 inches long by 2 1/2 inches wide. Thank you for any help.
 

Attachments

  • DSC00149.webp
    DSC00149.webp
    37.4 KB · Views: 174
  • DSC00150.webp
    DSC00150.webp
    22.1 KB · Views: 179
Upvote 0
nice find congrats HH
 
Hell of a find... I wish I could be of more help. Way....out of my area but I would guess that was used as a blade and is from the Archaic time period.
 
Id say knife by the shape. Usually if it is a point or spearhead it will be the same size on both sides. Yours is kinda flat on one side like a hunting knife. Either way a very nice large blade.
 
I thought it looked broken.
 
I thought it looked broken.

It looks broken to me as well. Big blade, probably Archaic, Maine is a bit different then the rest of New England, at least in the North coastal region, so I'm not sure of the type, but it was a big knife.
 
I did what I could to look it up for you.. until someone more local has something to add...I would call that a "Snook Kill" type point. Age being 2900-3700 BP. "Before present" I also looked up the lithic material for your area and I think your probably about right..you have a few types of chert also silicafied shale that patina the same basic color as that. The name was ironic because snook is one of my favorite fish to catch here in Florida. Nice find.

ForumRunner_20130222_214520.webp
I was driving the boat that day.. took two guys who had never caught a snook and put them on that cow.


Stew-SK-2_1.webp
 
Last edited:
I'm not sure if I'm right on this call. I'm really not sure I'm right period point blank .._ but I do believe you have a rather distinct preform. Here is one in my collection.

image-647337000.webp



image-3241024331.webp

This one was headed towards being a morrow Mt. I'm unfamiliar with point types of your area. Nice find regardless of what it is!!
 
Thanks for all the help. Definitly broken. And I was thinking broken before it was completed. So preform it is. I also picked up a smooth perfectly round stone yesterday. After looking at some pics on this site, I'm thinking maybe its a game stone. Will post some pics in a bit. Thank you again.
 
Hey mainer I believe that's rhyolite. The piece looks like an unfinished blade.sometimes I find pieces that are unfinished but can't never be sure.where you from I'm in the bangor area?
 
Nice find! Found on the coast?
 
Yes found on the coast. Im from the Bristol area. Right on the mid coast. Where you from Ram?
 
Hey mainer I believe that's rhyolite. The piece looks like an unfinished blade.sometimes I find pieces that are unfinished but can't never be sure.where you from I'm in the bangor area?

Point's dont seem to be as nice a quality up here, as opposed to some places. Or atleast the few that I have found seem to be that way.
 
Believe me there are some beautiful points to be found here.Seems they just weren't to elaborate with a lot of their points.
 
Believe me there are some beautiful points to be found here.Seems they just weren't to elaborate with a lot of their points.

i've always wanted to hunt someplace in Maine where you can find the Maritime Archaic stuff, the ground slate points, plummets, gouges, and some very nice materials up there too. I have a nice Maritime Archaic flaked point from Calais, Me., from on the river there. You guys also have a better shot of finding Ramah chert then most of us too. Love seeing stuff from Maine.
 
Here's a couple maine points same material different color due to exposure. Also there's a gameball.

ForumRunner_20130223_150407.webp



ForumRunner_20130223_150511.webp
 
Here's some more pics of a few I have found. The triangle point is probably the best I have found. The other two are heart breakers. Both made with beautiful material. Any idea what the white material is? Its not quartz. And the last one is the only slate peice I have found Charl. Thanks for all the help the last couple days.
 

Attachments

  • DSC00153.webp
    DSC00153.webp
    26.3 KB · Views: 158
  • DSC00154.webp
    DSC00154.webp
    27.6 KB · Views: 125
  • DSC00155.webp
    DSC00155.webp
    19.7 KB · Views: 171
  • DSC00156.webp
    DSC00156.webp
    28.1 KB · Views: 136
Yes found on the coast. Im from the Bristol area. Right on the mid coast. Where you from Ram?
Mainer, I'm from Waldoboro close to the Washington line.
 
That might be ramah chert from labrador.google ramah chert.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom