MESH SIZE QUESTION....

mattisdell1983

Mar 31, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hey guys just a quick question. I have a royal 30" stream sluice box and I went to my local shop today to buy a classifier screen for a 5 gallon bucket. The guy said to just classify to 8 mesh. Is this about right? or should I clasify down smaller? Up here in northern california(Almost in oregon) we seem to have alot of fine gold. thanks alot in advance, Matt

Upvote 0

Astrobouncer

Jun 21, 2009
8 mesh is a good size if all you are dealing with is fine gold, but if you are finding any coarse stuff at all you might be throwing it back at that classification range. I would go with 4 mesh instead. Plus with 4 mesh you can still find some gemstones that would get tossed at 8.

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like to wave a metal detector over the larger stuff I've classified out just to make sure I'm not tossing something good away.
63bkpkr

Fullpan

Bronze Member
May 6, 2012
nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Except for the Bear river, most northern calif. rivers have commonly produced gold larger than #8 mesh

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was out in NorCal several years ago late in the year on a river that was getting close to dry. This allowed me to work the down stream side of boulders that were way under water during the spring run off. I was using a 1/16" mesh contraption, I hand plucked all the large pieces out and this left a sizable pile of remaining small gravel. At one point I looked at that pile and in my brain I formed the thought that IF there happened to be any larger gold it was in that pile. It took me awhile to do a quick panning of the pile BUT I did find a nugget in there. Since that time I've used my White's GMT to check my discard or Tailings piles. No Zip-Zip and I just continue on, it's a good check system and saves work.........63bkpkr

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
8 is ok. I use a 2 into a bucket for sluicing. 4 would be better, I think. TTC

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread