What's new

Metamorphosis of a "War Nickel"

lorraine

Silver Member
Joined
Dec 15, 2010
Messages
4,474
Reaction score
3,764
Golden Thread
0
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT; Sov Elite
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Hi again:hello:,

60* in mid- November dictates a couple of hours at the beach...beautiful sunny day today.

Re -detected yesterday's area to pick up what I left there; nothing much found this time 'round.

Find of the day was a "war nickel" that started off looking like a piece of coal, but the high tone made me check it out further; glad that I did.

Here's a few pics

thanks for looking .

Lorraine



Have almost a complete 8 place tableware setting "Beach" pattern ( including a butter knife!) :laughing7:

DSCF2682.webp

DSCF2678.webp

DSCF2681.webp

DSCF2683.webp

DSCF2684.webp

DSCF2687.webp
 
Upvote 0
WOW!!! You work wonders with your electrolysis. What do you use for your electrolyte?? Nice find and restoration. Beach Papa
 
WOW!!! You work wonders with your electrolysis. What do you use for your electrolyte?? Nice find and restoration. Beach Papa

Thank you, Beach Papa; I didn't use electrolysis on this coin. I just picked off the thick crust with a knife, and then soaked the coin for a few seconds in vinegar/salt mixture; the I rubbed the stained parts of the coin with salt and q-tips. I repeated the process until I was satisfied with the results.

When I do use electrolysis ,I use a mixture of Armand Hammer Soda Wash and vinegar.

Lorraine
 
Amazing work as usual Lorraine!

Cliff
 
That's tuff huntin in the rocks...That nickel cleaned up real good, you would have never know before....every once and awhile I will find a silver nickel crusted but mostly silver.
OBN0099.webp
 
Nice finds and cleaning job, lorraine. Hope I can get out next week. I may have forgotten how to metal detect if I don't do something soon.
 
Hello Lorraine WTG miss seeing you out beach hunting..........
 
Great pictures on the nickel. Boy it cleaned up really nice. :)
 
Nice find, and great job on clean up Lorraine. Although I've probably found a dozen or so buffaloes, still looking for my first war nickel.
 
I can't even spell mettamorphosis and be able to clean as welll. Good JOB.
 
you seem to be the go to person for pro cleaning advice, always comes out amazing, nice work!
 
Wow ! Impressive!
 
You make restoring an art. Im still tryin to prefect good cleaning methods. Thanks for all the advise u give on different methods.
 
Nice job Lorraine.
 
Great Post man!...That was a hell of a transformation
 
Well Done! :notworthy: You did an excellent job in preserving it.
 
Anybody on these forums ever found a hobo nickel?
 
Anybody on these forums ever found a hobo nickel?

I have not, but would absolutely be ecstatic if I did find one.

Here's a video regarding Hobo nickels that I found interesting; I hope all who check it out will also find it interesting & enjoyable.

 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom