Minelab Sovereign GT VS. Whites DFX??? what do you think?

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Depends on the type hunting you're intending to do. The DFX will be adjustable to hone in on lower conductors better (if you so desired). This would be for places where you're looking for the teensier lower jewelry type items. But if you're hunting turf where maybe you're going to pass up teensy flitty foil, then maybe that's not a desired goal? The Sov. will go deeper, especially on high conductors. But the sounds will at-first drive you batty, and there are less adjustable user functions. So it all just depends on your tastes, and your goals. Hard to beat the Sov. on raw depth though :) Good beach hunter, but I think it would drive me nuts in junky land sites. Others swear by it on land sites.

Yeasty

Oct 22, 2007
DELAWARE
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, CTX-17, CTX-6, E-Trac, Explorer SE , Sun Ray X-1 probes, FBS 800, WOT, Garrett Pro-Pointer and modified David Clark headphones
My buddy has a SOV GT and I have an SE. We each use a 15" WOT on the beach and he outdoes me every time. On land, with stock coils, my SE will out do the SOV, hands down. He just got a DFX for land hunting. Probably a wise move.

Pete

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a DFX till it was stolen a last year and use the GT on dry ground now. They are like night and day as Tom has pointed out. It depends on how you like to hunt. One major advantage to the GT over the DFX I think is its ability to find a good target very near iron unlike a DFX. But with the DFX the screen shows you things down there aren't so simple as Good or Bad.

I still haven't replaced the DFX..........

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread