Minelab XS NOT WORKING, ANY ADVICE????

theo

Sep 7, 2009
Hello All, Have problem with my xs, turn it on and it begins to start then shut's back off, then maybe 30 seconds later it will start again on it's own. It just keeps doing this, i have to pull the battery out to get it to quit. Any idea's on what to try or look for before i send it to the factory? Has any one else had this problem, hope it is something simple. Battery is good, fully charged.

gary in idaho

May 7, 2008
I'd start by cleaning the battery terminals on your battery pack. Also you can go to Radio Shack and get some contact cleaner and spray the battery contacts in the machine and then blowing it out with canned air.

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Contact Minelab? ???
Talk to them first before sending it in, they may have some DIY solution. :)

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
gary in idaho said:
I'd start by cleaning the battery terminals on your battery pack. Also you can go to Radio Shack and get some contact cleaner and spray the battery contacts in the machine and then blowing it out with canned air.

Mostly when this happens it is a battery contact problem. Use the above fine suggestions before calling Minelab.

Cuerno

Jan 31, 2008
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Explorer II
Primary Interest:
Other
It happen to me also and when I switched to my smaller coil it was OK. If you don't have another coil find someone who does just for a test. It also happen to my friends Explorer and it was the X-1 Probe.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For starters did you do a factory reset? Did you try alks. instead of the pack? That's the beginning, post back if you still have the problem.

OP
OP
T

theo

Sep 7, 2009
Hello Everyone, I have tried to contact Minelab, with no luck! I keep getting a invalid ext. number when i try to go to an extension to talk to someone, I have even e-mailed them and still no reply, Is this the way they do business?? Anyone have a magic number i can try??

OP
OP
T

theo

Sep 7, 2009
Also, I forgot to mention that the detector is still doing the same only worse, I have tried all that you have mentioned and still no luck! I'm not very happy with Minelab service right now! What do you have to do to talk to someone from Minelab?????

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
theo said:
Also, I forgot to mention that the detector is still doing the same only worse, I have tried all that you have mentioned and still no luck! I'm not very happy with Minelab service right now! What do you have to do to talk to someone from Minelab?????

You tried what I posted last night and it still does the exact same thing?

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Restarting corrects an explorer over 90% of the time because they can get a little wacky and it happens quite a bit. The charger back can go to making the detector operate very weird too. Also, when you try the alks. you have to restart again. If there's a glitch the batteries alone might not snap the detector out of it.

OP
OP
T

theo

Sep 7, 2009
Hello Iron Patch, yes i did, still no good, it has even got worse. How do you factory reset the machine? That's about the only thing i did not try. I got ahold of a Becky at Minelab and she took a message to give to a Robert, he is suppose to call me back.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
theo said:
Hello Iron Patch, yes i did, still no good, it has even got worse. How do you factory reset the machine? That's about the only thing i did not try. I got ahold of a Becky at Minelab and she took a message to give to a Robert, he is suppose to call me back.

Hold the power button in until the tune plays and the detector goes back to factory presets. DEFINITELY try this and do it a few times before you even think of sending the detector away.

OP
OP
T

theo

Sep 7, 2009
Hello Iron Patch, yes i have done that quite a few time's, i didn't know that was a factory reset but i knew how to do that. Look's like i am going to have to send to the factory ( as much as i hate to!! ) I will keep you all posted on this when i found out what the factory comes up with

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
theo said:
Hello Iron Patch, yes i have done that quite a few time's, i didn't know that was a factory reset but i knew how to do that. Look's like i am going to have to send to the factory ( as much as i hate to!! ) I will keep you all posted on this when i found out what the factory comes up with

Did you try the factory restart with alks? If you simply just changed the charger pack (and if was the problem) the detector could still be locked into the same operation.

Cuerno

Jan 31, 2008
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Explorer II
Primary Interest:
Other
Re: Reboot the detector

I have read about doing a reboot when things are not working on the Explorer. you just have the battery rubber cover open(will explain later why), then push the start button and when you hear the startup tone begin you remove the battery quickly all the way. This should reset the processor.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Reboot the detector

Cuerno said:
I have read about doing a reboot when things are not working on the Explorer. you just have the battery rubber cover open(will explain later why), then push the start button and when you hear the startup tone begin you remove the battery quickly all the way. This should reset the processor.

I believe it's called a cold boot, and was next on the list if the regular restart didn't work. (and trying with the alks)

OP
OP
T

theo

Sep 7, 2009
Howdy Boy's, No luck on the reboot, Have her in the mail to Minelab Friday. I want to Thank everyone that gave me some hint's to try. I will keep you posted,,, Thank's Theo

cwhunter_1

Feb 2, 2009
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Minelab se pro, white oldy, tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have the same problem with mine. I talked to Bill at Minelab Las Vegas and he said this happens after several years of use. Something about the power link? Needs to be replaced. Approx. $160 big ones to fix. Hope its less! He said he has one on the bench now, might be yours. Keep us updated. I'll be sending mine in shortly.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread