Misc data and adventures of a Tayopa treasure hunter

OK, OK, no need for mmarks. wed night was a nice clear night, with the sound of distant thunder, so I merrily kept playing with my computer,, when boom, out of a clear sky roared a lighting strike , seemed right in my room, but it wasn't, almost immediatly there was a very short hissing like a tire going flat, sounded like a cap. going out, and so went my computer. And no I hadn't gone to the nearest source of surge protectors yet.sooo, again I am without my computer and my nice new power supply. I picked up another one but nothing seems to work, fans or lights, sigh. ideas ??

I am useing my old HP laptop. IN IT'S DAY IT WAS CONSIDERED STATE OF THE ART, BUT i AM ACCUSTOMED TO AN ALMOST INSTANTANEOUS RESPONSE. SOME REPONSES TAKES 30 SECS FOR A RESPONSE.

nEVER MIND THE REMARKS, i BELIEVE THAT I HAVE PRETTY WELL COVERED THEM MYSELF..

I can see that we are gonna have to get you off the grid, Jefe. You need to go solar and not have to deal with the power surges, etc. I honestly don't know how you manage as well as you do. I never used the grid when I was down there, carried my own solar power supply. Saved me a lot of problems. You could get a small setup fairly inexpensively. Let me check into it for you. :wink:

Oh we don't use smoke signals anymore, not since Facebook went live. :tongue3:

Don Jose,
Speaking of chow lines......back in '44 I was a kid helping with the war effort. My family saved bacon grease and other vegetable greases in coffee tin cans. Once we have a pound, we could trade that in at our local butcher's shop for 4 cents and 2 extra ration stamps. In turn, the donated grease was turned into gylcerin and the glycerin was then nitrated and used in the preparation of munitions. I was only four, but glad I could help you win the war.
Don.......

Jose, I hope you still have your story in tact. We all want to show our family and friends, that the man really does exist!!!

I told my youngest sister a little bit about You, she is coming for a visit sometime in the next few weeks. She wants to read of some of your adventures...
I'm making headway in mine, the final chapter may go into overtime.

There is so much to say.

If your email is still working, I plan to send you the replacement chapters, one at a time.
The photos don't follow through, I may be able to attach them to the end, each time.
Time will tell...
My ten year old granddaughter has been following my progress (She reads at a seventh grade level and last year she won an award for being the first student in the entire school in third grade plus the forth and fifth grades. As well,
To read one million words!). So her opinion is important to me....

She stopped reading, to say, "Peepaw, every picture in your whole book has it's own story."

I told her that almost every story in my book has it's own picture. There is a difference.

I've had a lot on my plate lately and can't keep focused well enough to do that last chapter justice, it will be done when life gives me time to do it right

#/:0{>~

Hi luv. did drums go the same way ?? Not up to date down here. I have a large portable solar panel, but it is only for 12 volts, emergency battery charger for the far out boon docks. Computer needs 18 vdc

Mac, mi buddy, I spent almost the entire war overseas, but the little time that I sent in the states indicated to me that it was no road to easy living. My father once told me of the coffee rationing, he said that once my grand father said that he was tired of colred water and dumpted the entire months supply of coffee in the pot, then smacking hit lis said now that was a cuppa cofffee.

Thanks for your support, even as a kiddie. My mother mentioned the same thing.

You know, 2 cents was not an insignificant amount, when you remember that i was only getting $30 a month.

Last edited:
OK, OK, no need for mmarks. wed night was a nice clear night, with the sound of distant thunder, so I merrily kept playing with my computer,, when boom, out of a clear sky roared a lighting strike , seemed right in my room, but it wasn't, almost immediatly there was a very short hissing like a tire going flat, sounded like a cap. going out, and so went my computer. And no I hadn't gone to the nearest source of surge protectors yet.sooo, again I am without my computer and my nice new power supply. I picked up another one but nothing seems to work, fans or lights, sigh. ideas ??

I am useing my old HP laptop. IN IT'S DAY IT WAS CONSIDERED STATE OF THE ART, BUT i AM ACCUSTOMED TO AN ALMOST INSTANTANEOUS RESPONSE. SOME REPONSES TAKES 30 SECS FOR A RESPONSE.

nEVER MIND THE REMARKS, i BELIEVE THAT I HAVE PRETTY WELL COVERED THEM MYSELF..

Don Jose

I believe two things you can do in your case :

1) To unplug all your devices when the weather get instabil
2) to install a lightning rod on your house or somewhere close by on a high point Lightning rods « Pittas | Lightning Protection - Earthing Systems

And a third , but this is optional : Stop doing that Voodoo and Telepathy practice every day !:tongue3:

Marius, But the voodoo? I have a phd in it hate to see it wasted. Hey, do ya spect that it would work on thunder storms >>> Maybe scare them so that they bypass my lil house ? Again, I love your grick view Marius and as for the telepahay, how do you expect me to keep in contact with DIT ??

Last edited:
Don Jose,
I agree, in '44, four cents was a big deal when you figure a loaf of bread cost 10 cents and gas was 15 cents per gallon. Combining the 4 cents with two extra ration stamps was like 'free money' for those who participated in the program. What surprised my parents was the number of neighbor families that did not participate in that process; we shunned those folks.
Don....

Don Jose,
I agree, in '44, four cents was a big deal when you figure a loaf of bread cost 10 cents and gas was 15 cents per gallon. Combining the 4 cents with two extra ration stamps was like 'free money' for those who participated in the program. What surprised my parents was the number of neighbor families that did not participate in that process; we shunned those folks.
Don....

I wonder what an ounce of AU cost back then???
My grandparents made it through the Great Depression. My parents made through WW2 and Korea. My generation made it through the sixties.

And now, as Albert Einstein predicted,
"We have raised a generation of idiots".

And, yes, I do realize that I am posting this from my iPhone...

But, I still know how to do other things to survive.

#/;0{>~

Joey, have you ever considered using pedal-power? Whenever the weather turns nasty, you jist get on yer bike and pedal like mad! Of course, it might work better if yer better half did the pedalling and you were sitting at the pc ...

Joey, have you ever considered using pedal-power? Whenever the weather turns nasty, you jist get on yer bike and pedal like mad! Of course, it might work better if yer better half did the pedalling and you were sitting at the pc ...

I can see where this is heading....don't look at me, I'm still ten paces behind. :tongue3:

Hi luv. did drums go the same way ?? Not up to date down here. I have a large portable solar panel, but it is only for 12 volts, emergency battery charger for the far out boon docks. Computer needs 18 vdc

You can use it with your existing solar panel.....

103521_main.jpg

Charge up your laptop, tablet, or smartphone while traveling or camping, or during power outages, with the Solar Generator 150. Storing up to 150 watt-hours, the generator can recharge a smartphone up to 15 times. It also powers lights, radios, DVD players, and many other small electrical devices.

Stores 150 watt-hours of power to charge your laptop several times or run your tablet for a week
Portable wall outlet powers laptops, lights, and smartphones anywhere
Equipped with AC, 12V, and USB outlets
Easy to carry - convenient pop-up handle
Charges from wall, car, or sun
Average recharge time: solar power: 5 to 10 hours; outlet: 4 hours (solar recharge times depend on weather conditions)
Recharge at least every 3 months

Yeti 150 Solar Generator | Frontgate

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back