What's new

Monty 15 Squirrels 0

The gameness is due to diet and the fact that they haven't been bled out...deer that have been eating acorns are pretty rank...
 
The deer I love the best are the ones that have been eating in a corn field ....YUMMMMMMY!
 
The deer where I hunt mostlly subsist on acorns and are a bit gamy. But I soak them in milk in the frig and they loose tht taste. Venison is best if you can hang it in a cool place and let it mature before packaging. Same thing is done with prime beef. However, unless you have a walk in, they are cut and packaged actually too soon after being harvested. Monty
 
Monty said:
The deer where I hunt mostlly subsist on acorns and are a bit gamy. But I soak them in milk in the frig and they loose tht taste. Venison is best if you can hang it in a cool place and let it mature before packaging. Same thing is done with prime beef. However, unless you have a walk in, they are cut and packaged actually too soon after being harvested. Monty
Monty
I like to take mine out of the deep freeze and let it sit in its package in the refrigerator for about 4 or 5 days. Like you said this ages the meat like prime loin. Its delicious and less fat than boneless chicken. I need to harvest about 7 this year. Its a wonderful time.
Good luck with the squirrels. :thumbsup:
 
My husband's great-uncle would have a boiled squirrel skull by his plate, and when he was through with supper, crack it open and suck the brains out. I didn't hear this story till after we were married, and no, thankfully I never witnessed it. Country folks :dontknow: I'm pretty sure a type of "mad cow disease" comes with eating squirrel brains, so that does explain my in-laws.

naturegirl
 
Squirrels. I tell ya its us against them.

Monty. You know whats fun to shoot. I've got a CZ bolt action .22 with a 28 inch barrel. When I shoot CB longs from it, it is quieter than a pellet gun. A click and the sound of the bullet hitting its target. :)
 
DigginThePast said:
Squirrels. I tell ya its us against them.

Monty. You know whats fun to shoot. I've got a CZ bolt action .22 with a 28 inch barrel. When I shoot CB longs from it, it is quieter than a pellet gun. A click and the sound of the bullet hitting its target. :)
Maybe but the RWS Montys has is around 1200 fps. You are not shooting at 1000 fps are you? I bet it is quiet though. :thumbsup:
 
Monty said:
Country fried squirrel: Take two or more freshly cleaned squirrels cut into portions. Roll in seasoned flour and pop them into very hot cooking oil and cook until brown. Pour off most of the grease, stir in a tablespoon of flour salt and pepper to taste and half a cup of water. Simmer covered for about an hour or until the flour and water form a gravy like consistancy. Remove and serve with fresh steamed veggies and some buttermilk biscuits. Chow down and enjoyi! (Some people who are sensitive to the "gamy" taste of game animals might want to soak them over night in milk to remove a lot of the gamy taste. Monty

You eat VEGETABLES? Now that's gross.
 
Same thing with vegies. Cook 'em right or serve raw as the taste dictates, they can be very good. Too many people cook them to death until they are just much. That's why I like steamed veggies. It's easiere not to over steam them than to over cook them. Oh, and I have read that some animals carry a very virulant disease in the brain. I have not nor never would eat a squirrel brain, or any other brain for that matter. I saw a film where in some country the capture a monkey, stick his head through a hole in the table and knock his brains out. Then they eat the brains raw! That's zombie stuff! Not for me! Monty
 
Thatson a tape they showed all kind of gross stuff like someone being excuted (elec chair) and a body after it had been run over by a bus! The monkey was alive in it and then you took a hammer and hit it till it died sooooooooooooooooooo gross ! I want to bash the brains of the people doing it! :laughing7: I wonder if the diners would like that!
 
the name of the "sick flick" is --"faces of death" --and yes I would say its unfit for "normal folks" to watch . -- it a gory deprived shock jock type tape of death scenes and sick practices .
 
And another one bites the dust........

Robin
 
TnMountains said:
DigginThePast said:
Squirrels. I tell ya its us against them.

Monty. You know whats fun to shoot. I've got a CZ bolt action .22 with a 28 inch barrel. When I shoot CB longs from it, it is quieter than a pellet gun. A click and the sound of the bullet hitting its target. :)
Maybe but the RWS Montys has is around 1200 fps. You are not shooting at 1000 fps are you? I bet it is quiet though. :thumbsup:

I think the CB long is around 700 fps. Not saying it is better over the RWS/pellet or would work better for his application, just that it is fun and won't bother the neighbors. :wink: We shoot a lot of air guns too including a very nice Feinwerbau 300. The CB out of that long barrel on the CZ has been the most quiet. Have you tried shooting Aguila Colibri? Its a primer only, 20 grain bullet .22 round. Only around 325 fps but you can shoot a revolver in your own home without any noise or lead issues. Lots of fun stuff out there! ;D ;D
 
DTP... yup, I have used the Aguila Colibri in a Steven's Model '74 reproduction. Incrediably quite...

Shotgun works best here.... out in the country, neighbors mind their own business.

Robin
 
Thanks Ivan I could not for the life of me remember the nme of it, it was years ago whem I saw it! And yep it is a sicko!
 
0802 hours, 02OCT2009.....

Another one hits the ground....

Robin
 
0828 02OCT09....

And another one bites the dust.....

Robin
 
1116 Hours, 02OCT09

The Fiest alerted.... right by the bird feeders...

Another one down.... that's three this morning.

Robin
 
Bump.....

What a day, and it still ain't dark yet......

The Fiest walked out to the mail box this afternoon at about 1523 hours.....

I'm watching something on the History Channel when I hear "ROBIN! SNAKE!"

Sho' 'Nuff, there was a freaking rattlesnake in the driveway.

Three tree rats, one rattlesnake, all in the yard, today.... and it still isn't dark yet....

Robin
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom