What's new

Monty 15 Squirrels 0

monty,hope you the best of luck--my big problem is i plant them in the back yard and they come up in the front yard--and thats faster than being born. they chewed thru the power line going to the shop.never saw the squirrel but bet he was surprised.on the chain link fence they cut the ties aloose.-anything and everything---tenclaw
 
Bump...

I'm up to over 150 confirmed kills in 15 months.

Robin
 
Squirrel stew or pot-pie is usually one of my first game meals each Fall. A light flintlock in .31 or .32
caliber or a .22 long rifle going for headshots only is quite challenging & a lot of fun. For the non-
hunting crowd, don't picture the tame squirrels you can feed peanuts to in the park. Hunting squirrel
involves patience & moving only a few feet every 5 or 10 minutes. Excellent tactics for most hunting,
big game & even deer. :wink:
 
Monty, Hope you are well...
I've had tree rat problems since I've live at my present location. They chew nuts and leave shell remnants that are difficult to walk upon.
My landlord gave me a pellet gun (.177) to alleviate the problem.
I've scored 7 head shots after zeroing in the sights. There are a few more, but I think that they are getting wise to me.

I scan my peripheries daily...

Best,
Scott
 
You guys brag about the head shots...try left eye shots...dead center...

Now, that's good shootin :laughing7:
 
stefen said:
You guys brag about the head shots...try left eye shots...dead center...

Now, that's good shootin :laughing7:
We just 'bark' them so no meat or brains are wasted . I'll 'splain if ya dom't unnerstand .
 
Um...I say head shots, but it's really ear shots. I have Medals for weapons from the Army....

I'm talkin' open sights with over 50 year old eyes.

Can't really say whether it's "left or right," but, they still hit the ground. DEAD! :thumbsup:
Then I have to throw them to the street...."Buzzards gotta eat, same as the worms..."



Really! I got buzzards circling my house!

Best, (Shot)
Scott
 
Where's the pictures?,also I think you could buy 'em a $9 bag of deer corn and maybe they would leave your wires alone :laughing7:
 
Produce Guy said:
Where's the pictures?,also I think you could buy 'em a $9 bag of deer corn and maybe they would leave your wires alone :laughing7:

Nuh-uhhhh......... It's be like "free food day" at the Ponderosa buffet................. lotsa chubby "patrons" lining up, and Gawd help ya if the buffet runs out............. of course, corn-fed might slow 'em down a bit and make 'em taste better...........
 
Monty, the guns that those squirrels have in those pictures up above look like the ones that use acorns for bullets. In that
case just grab a tennis racket and bounce them right back and they will have to run for cover. :laughing7:

Ray
 
Hey, Monty, and all who have problems with tree rats... I realize I'll tick some off, but in the 35 months I've lived where I am, these freaking varmits are a problem. I'm in a rural location, I've got pecan trees, which everyone knows draw them. I also have several oaks that produce heavy mast crops. To date, 338. Yeah, y'all peta heads, I slay EVERY one of them that is on my property. And for those of you that have problems with them in an urban environment, I feel for you. Out heah, in the woods, I can use a 12 gauge. And I do. No, I don't eat them. I just want them gone. Won't ever happen, but by george, if they come for MY nuts, they're gonna have a BAD day.
 
Please explain.....what does the expression 'bark' them mean?
Ugh! eating squirrels, they are tree rats, the thought of eating them, I just can't get that thought into my head...sorry Guys. Even during the lean War years squirrel was just not on the menu.

'U'
 
The term to "bark" a tree rat is that you fire a rifled projectile into the branch directly below the varmit. The energy of the exploding branch will concuss the varmit, and knock it from the tree. The flesh is not damaged, but the rat is killed, and no meat is lost due to it being shot. Read some American history. It's in there, from back in the days of flintlock longrifles. Done it myself in the past.

Robin
 
I clearly remember a time when hunting rabbits or squirrel meant meat for the night's dinner. Thus I became a deadly aim even at a young age.

The right recipe, with taters and gravy an' biscuits and greens is a dinner that you will always remember. Especially owing to factors of economic consideration.

Best,
Scott

PS. My count has just reached 14. Not bad considering my urban situation....
 
Tree rats are good eatin'... I just don't want to dress them out. I don't even like cleaning fish or heading shrimp anymore. I can do it, good at it, just don't want to. Rather go to the Piggly Wigglie and buy my meat in a package, unless there's a deer in the front yard. I'll take a shot then and dress them out. I like venision.
Robin
 
Morning, Miss Tee... Gonna plant more today... frosted night before last, so didn't set anything out. Susposed to be in the 40s/50s the next few nights. Cold crops should be able to establish themselves. I go to the Pig quite often... it's the only grocery store within about 20 miles, and it's six miles from home. I need butter, OJ, rice and pasta from time to time. BTW, Monty, got another in the pecans this morning. Count is 339 confirmed in 35 months... I do keep count, not confirmed, not counted.
Robin
 
Tree Rat hides make good coats...take a bunch tho...

Like it takes hundreds of hides to make a naga seat cover :laughing7:
 
I got two more this morning before classes. That makes somewhere around 17 or 18.
And I see more....

Guess I'll need to get more pellets.

Best,
Scott

PS. I think Tee has a thread about jerky. Hmmm. Gonna have to give this idea some thought.
 
Hey AU... Dunno if'n you can jerk a tree rat. Down heah, it's par-boiling then frying for the older ones, or doing Brunswick Stew or skirrels and dumplings. I just no longer care to do it. I will, howeavh, shoot EVERY one of them I see in my pecan trees. No mercy. I like my pecan pie, and I gotta receipe from g-grandma that'll make your mouff water, 'specially with 'nilla ice cream.
Robin
 
CaptainRobin said:
Hey AU... Dunno if'n you can jerk a tree rat. Down heah, it's par-boiling then frying for the older ones, or doing Brunswick Stew or skirrels and dumplings. I just no longer care to do it. I will, howeavh, shoot EVERY one of them I see in my pecan trees. No mercy. I like my pecan pie, and I gotta receipe from g-grandma that'll make your mouff water, 'specially with 'nilla ice cream.
Robin

Robin,
You an' I must be cut from the same bolt of cloth...I've never jerked tree rat, but I have had tree rat fried with gravy. Mighty good eatin'.
Older ones have tough meat...but my Granny cooks 'em right with home-made marrow dumplins'...
My favorite pie is pecan which I will make if I can find a tree that I can collect from and not be shot at. :o
My recipe includes both dark and light corn syrup....
Are you sure we ain't related? My Granny can sure cook up some tree rat....

Best Wishes,
Scott

PS. I'm in Jawja also...
Ifin you ever get to Dawsonville, try the Brunswick stew from "Dogs and Hogs." Mighty fine grub! :headbang:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUser...s_Hog_s_Incorporated-Dawsonville_Georgia.html
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom