What's new

Multiple Choice Test...Is it a. quartz, b. glass, c. none of the above?

eastTNJoe

Hero Member
Joined
Mar 4, 2013
Messages
546
Reaction score
616
Golden Thread
0
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I took close-up photos of the point I found and posted yesterday that generated some suggestions about the material. My gut says it is quartz, although like TNMountains noted, most of it is that milky white stuff. A few comments suggested it could be colonial glass, which I imagine has a different look from modern? Either way I hope these photos help with figuring it out. I also was wondering if anyone knows of a good color reference either in print or online of rock material. i see so many posts about material and I really have no idea how to distinguish. Thanks for your input. 20130531_220435.webp20130531_220510.webp20130531_220558.webp20130531_220607.webp20130531_220717.webp20130531_220359.webp20130531_220631.webp20130531_220342.webp
 
Upvote 0
I find a lot of melted glass too - it sometimes picked up some "matrix" during the melt, so that "test" may not be accurate either. And some crystals and even agatized wood will "ting" and make great wind chimes !!!!

-->Simple Scratch test is always reliable...
 
Last edited:
Thanks everyone for their suggestions on the material. An update: I looked at it under magnification and didn't see any air bubbles. I tapped it lightly with a spoon and I don't know if it made a "ting" or a "clank", but I also tapped the spoon against some glass and the sound was noticeably different...I did not scratch my window with it or bite down on it with my teeth...although I do thank the posters who offered up those unique suggestions!...I am betting quartz based on this and the comments and pics that others posted. Thanks again. You guys are great!
 
One way to test for quartz is to rub it vigorously against another quartz crystal. It will produce light called triboluminescence.Do it in a dark room.No light no quartz.
 
You are welcome, but I have to add that the scratch test method of determining hardness isn't unique - It's been around for many thousands of years and was also used by native Americans. In 1812 it was standardized as the Moh's Scale of hardness. And testing a chipped piece of glass( from whio knows where) by putting it in your mouth may make you a candidate for a Darwin Award....
 
Last edited:
i thought made from quartz crystal?

however a good friend said possible texas topaz?
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom