What's new

Multiple Choice Test...Is it a. quartz, b. glass, c. none of the above?

eastTNJoe

Hero Member
Joined
Mar 4, 2013
Messages
546
Reaction score
616
Golden Thread
0
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I took close-up photos of the point I found and posted yesterday that generated some suggestions about the material. My gut says it is quartz, although like TNMountains noted, most of it is that milky white stuff. A few comments suggested it could be colonial glass, which I imagine has a different look from modern? Either way I hope these photos help with figuring it out. I also was wondering if anyone knows of a good color reference either in print or online of rock material. i see so many posts about material and I really have no idea how to distinguish. Thanks for your input. 20130531_220435.webp20130531_220510.webp20130531_220558.webp20130531_220607.webp20130531_220717.webp20130531_220359.webp20130531_220631.webp20130531_220342.webp
 
Upvote 0
Looks like quartz to me.
 
I would think lightly tapping it with a spoon might say glass or quartz. Goes ting glass goes thunk quartz :tongue3:. Lol I am not much help am I?
 
I think its a quartz crystal flake removed to then make the point. In other words quartz crystal.
 
Nice avatar by the way Joe. Really shows off the point.
 
Look at it under magnification. if there's any air bubbles its glass.
If there is a matrix its crystal quarts.
Pretty easy to tell.
 
Ok...first thing tom...I'll hit it with a spoon and stick it under a magnifying glass....thanks everyone for your input.
 
Look at it under magnification. if there's any air bubbles its glass.
If there is a matrix its crystal quarts.
Pretty easy to tell.

Didnt you find a artifact that was kinda like his with the tiny dots in it? I believe yours was a knife?
 
It could be agatized wood.

ForumRunner_20130601_002134.webp



ForumRunner_20130601_002430.webp
 

Attachments

  • ForumRunner_20130601_001705.webp
    ForumRunner_20130601_001705.webp
    28.2 KB · Views: 96
May be chalcedony if it has that waxy feel. Same as quartz slightly but finer growth of SiO2 crystals. Clear quartz will have some inclusions. Your looks both from the pictures so I am interested in your analysis.
 
I spoke too soon while you where posting. I should have just refreshed the page. Lol. That is interesting. Does it have that waxy luster like that one? If so agate is a type of chalcedony.
 
Last edited:
I spoke too soon while you where posting. I should have just refreshed the page. Lol. That is interesting. Does it have that waxy luster like that one? If so agate is a type of chalcedony.

No..I wouldn't say waxy at all like Gator's point...it is more rough and difficult to see the flaking, unlike his where the light reflects on each groove and ridge.
 
It could be a natural glass. I'm not sure, but it wouldn't hurt to look into natural glass. Obsidian is not the only one.
 
I must say it looks like Gators but I've seen quartz crystal just like that before too. I just see this being quartz crystal. Take a look at this example I found.
 

Attachments

  • Pic1.webp
    Pic1.webp
    76 KB · Views: 72
  • Pic2.webp
    Pic2.webp
    42.7 KB · Views: 84
I think yours is quartz also.
Just tossing out ideas.
Here is one that is similar.

ForumRunner_20130601_011157.webp
 
  • DSC06606.webp

Gatorboy "Look at it under magnification. if there's any air bubbles its glass. If there is a matrix its crystal quarts. Pretty easy to tell."


NO DON"T DO THAT. See sample photo of quartz i found. Most quartz has air bubbles (even water bubbles) in it , so don't use that as a test! Easy test is try to scratch glass with it (won't hurt the artifact). I have a lot of small scratches on the corners of my windows....
 
Last edited:
Sorry.. if there is only air bubbles.
Your piece has a very visible matrix as well.. glass does not.
 
I would think lightly tapping it with a spoon might say glass or quartz. Goes ting glass goes thunk quartz :tongue3:. Lol I am not much help am I?

Love it. I think that's a very valid test. And high tech too! Lol.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom