What's new

Musisians reed but to what ?

DirtyMike

Hero Member
Joined
Feb 10, 2009
Messages
898
Reaction score
106
Golden Thread
1
Location
West Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
1
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2, MXT, TDI, Tejon, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have found these at old home sites and at cw camp sites. I have been told they were a musical instrument reed but what instrument? I always find one and its broken until today and in one hole i pulled out 93 and there were more but I had to leave. I will go back and get the rest to see how many total there are. And that's another question. How many should there be? The ones that were dug today are all sizes from about an inch up to a few inches. Most have the note stamped on them.
 

Attachments

  • addon.webp
    addon.webp
    4 KB · Views: 680
Accordian. You will find many more. They're every where. I think they're the pull tabs of the 19th century. :D
 
Upvote 0
RPG said:
Accordian. You will find many more. They're every where. I think they're the pull tabs of the 19th century. :D
I have but this particular spot I found 93 so far in one hole 2 ft x 2 ft. How many would there be per accordion?
 
Upvote 0
DirtyMike said:
RPG said:
Accordian. You will find many more. They're every where. I think they're the pull tabs of the 19th century. :D
I have but this particular spot I found 93 so far in one hole 2 ft x 2 ft. How many would there be per accordion?

Not that many. :o

Maybe you found an accordian dump? :dontknow:

Buckle Boy will know how many there were in each one. I'm sure he will chime in soon. :help:
 
Upvote 0
There are definitely more. I got what I could but was running way late for an appointment I couldn't miss. The machine was beeping like mad even when I left. I just pushed the leaves back over the spot until I can get back.
 
Upvote 0
RPG said:
DirtyMike said:
RPG said:
Accordian. You will find many more. They're every where. I think they're the pull tabs of the 19th century. :D
I have but this particular spot I found 93 so far in one hole 2 ft x 2 ft. How many would there be per accordion?

Not that many. :o

Maybe you found an accordian dump? :dontknow:

Buckle Boy will know how many there were in each one. I'm sure he will chime in soon. :help:


I have always thought that these were from bellows-driven "pump organs." I too have found many at a site before. Most of them appear to be marked with pitch names on the square end, right above where the reed itself was attached. (F#, E, D, etc...) In your photo at the top, the reed would be marked on the underside, near the squared off end.

Edit: I just saw that BigCy had posted the ID too. Good work. :) Yes, the reeds were interchangeable when they wore out or broke. Just pop out the old C# and pop in the new one.

(Or in the case of this topic, throw the whole organ out when the leather bellows failed.)


Regards,



Buckles
 
Upvote 0
BuckleBoy said:
RPG said:
DirtyMike said:
RPG said:
Accordian. You will find many more. They're every where. I think they're the pull tabs of the 19th century. :D
I have but this particular spot I found 93 so far in one hole 2 ft x 2 ft. How many would there be per accordion?

Not that many. :o

Maybe you found an accordian dump? :dontknow:

Buckle Boy will know how many there were in each one. I'm sure he will chime in soon. :help:


I have always thought that these were from bellows-driven "pump organs." I too have found many at a site before. Most of them appear to be marked with pitch names on the square end, right above where the reed itself was attached. (F#, E, D, etc...) In your photo at the top, the reed would be marked on the underside, near the squared off end.

Edit: I just saw that BigCy had posted the ID too. Good work. :) Yes, the reeds were interchangeable when they wore out or broke. Just pop out the old C# and pop in the new one.

(Or in the case of this topic, throw the whole organ out when the leather bellows failed.)


Regards,



Buckles

How many reeds per organ? DirtyMike says he has found 93 in one spot and didn't dig them all. :dontknow:
 
Upvote 0
I have a WWI folding Reed Organ. The bellows is bad.

I think some organs have over 93 keys.
 

Attachments

  • whitefolding reed organ.webp
    whitefolding reed organ.webp
    10.4 KB · Views: 466
  • whitefolding reed organ.webp
    whitefolding reed organ.webp
    10.4 KB · Views: 429
Upvote 0
Thanks for all your help. :icon_thumright:
 
Upvote 0
Cool! I have found so many of these things and never knew what they where. Thanks.

Brian
 
Upvote 0
RPG said:
How many reeds per organ? DirtyMike says he has found 93 in one spot and didn't dig them all. :dontknow:

88 keys = 88 notes, maximum.

:icon_scratch:
 
Upvote 0
BuckleBoy said:
RPG said:
How many reeds per organ? DirtyMike says he has found 93 in one spot and didn't dig them all. :dontknow:

88 keys = 88 notes, maximum.

:icon_scratch:

Kinda what I was thinking. :dontknow:
 
Upvote 0
BuckleBoy said:
RPG said:
How many reeds per organ? DirtyMike says he has found 93 in one spot and didn't dig them all. :dontknow:

88 keys = 88 notes, maximum.

:icon_scratch:
I actually googled it and found reed organs with more reeds but I didnt save the link. Maybe I misunderstood it.

Cant you lay all the notes out and the different sizes and see how many different organs it came from?
 
Upvote 0
I dont play the piano so I googled the question "How many keys does a piano have?" and Amanda asked the same question. http://en.allexperts.com/q/Piano-Organ-Keyboard-650/piano-keys.htm

Answer
Hello Amanda! I suppose your professor's question needs to be qualified to be answered properly. "How many keys does a piano have?" could be expanded to "How many keys does a standard piano have?" or, "How many keys do most pianos have?" or, "How many keys can a piano have?", or, "What is the least number of keys a piano can have?" Since you are involved in a school assignment I will provide you with two suggestions which should be helpful enough to get you started in your research:

http://www.bluebookofpianos.com/agesc.htm#CABLE

http://www.bluebookofpianos.com/agesb.htm#BOSENDORFER

I wish you success!

Kind regards,

Thomas Britanyak
 
Upvote 0
I 100% disagree that the majority of these were from organs. I too have found many of these single reeds or doublke reeds at civil war period campsites, farms, and other locations where organ reeds would never have been lost. These are from small concertinas or similar small hand held "squeeze boxes which were easily carried by soldiers, sailors, etc..
 
Upvote 0
johnnyi said:
I 100% disagree that the majority of these were from organs. I too have found many of these single reeds or doublke reeds at civil war period campsites, farms, and other locations where organ reeds would never have been lost. These are from small concertinas or similar small hand held "squeeze boxes which were easily carried by soldiers, sailors, etc..
Yes, this is the general agreement that the majority of reeds found are from squeeze boxes... but he found 93 in one hole. How many reeds are in each box?
 

Attachments

  • squeeze box.gif
    squeeze box.gif
    63.5 KB · Views: 731
  • Acordeon.webp
    Acordeon.webp
    3 KB · Views: 474
  • squeeze box.gif
    squeeze box.gif
    63.5 KB · Views: 377
Upvote 0
Ah, I see. (note to self, read the text, don't just look at the pictures!) :D
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom