My find from Waskom, TX

Sheerblue

May 1, 2013
Here are the photos of my very 1st find ever!! I know it is probably from the caddo Indians but I don't know what type of point it is. When I try those online identifiers, I only can come up with a vague description. So, if you can readily id it, please let me know! Lol!! Hopefully soon I will find more artifacts to post & share soon! However, this spear is flawless and I am soooo very proud of it! Enjoy, y'all!!

Attachments

• image-1777918115.jpg
    image-1777918115.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 172
  • image-3898614734.jpg
    image-3898614734.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 182
  • image-3329856334.jpg
    image-3329856334.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 153
Upvote 0
what is the story of finding it?

very nice find congrats HH

That's a BEAUT!!!! Some go their whole life not findin one that nice. Let's here the story behind it.. CONGRATS.. HH

I was staying with my aunt after my mother passed from lung cancer. While there, I had been noticing the creek behind her house & this hill in her front yard. I even had been asking if they had ever found any artifacts there. They said they hadn't. So one day after a rain, I felt compelled to go look around on top of the hill where her water well is. As I looked under this tree, I noticed n the bright green moss under it something white....not realizing I was looking at an artifact. It had a small root growing over it and only the center of it was exposed. Therefore, I didn't know it was a spear point until I started digging it out. I've had some tell me it is a ceremonial piece. Some say if I found that, there's more to find there. However, I haven't been back since. I hope I get to return soon!
And thanks for looking y'all!!

That is an incredible, amazing find. Thanks for sharing and good luck in future hunts.

Wow nice point! It looks almost like coral. I dont know the type but seeing it is your first find it will be hard to top that one. Although do post any other artifacts you find.

Great looking find Sheerblue. Am I mistaken or are there two different Points in your pictures?

Your piece isn't a Spear, it was more than likely used as a Knife and looks to be a Waubesa Point and they aren't ceremonial.

No, the pics are of the same piece, just opposite sides. Thanks so much Reaper! I'm gonna google that type of point now! Lol! And I will post more as I find them!

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet

I have found these pieces.....fairly recently too! The are from a site sort of local to me.....

Attachments

• image-713937786.png
    image-713937786.png
    250.6 KB · Views: 94
  • image-1563941268.png
    image-1563941268.png
    304.1 KB · Views: 95
  • image-124458277.png
    image-124458277.png
    298.8 KB · Views: 92
  • image-1181210179.png
    image-1181210179.png
    268.9 KB · Views: 106
  • image-3672063154.png
    image-3672063154.png
    300.9 KB · Views: 92
  • image-3534249334.png
    image-3534249334.png
    291.8 KB · Views: 82
Nice looking point. It is perfect. I would be back to your aunts for sure. Welcome aboard and thanks for sharing. Maybe Neo or some of the Texas members will chime in as well. Grim is pretty good on point I,D's though.

No, the pics are of the same piece, just opposite sides. Thanks so much Reaper! I'm gonna google that type of point now! Lol! And I will post more as I find them!

There are 3 pics in your first post and two show a Point with a round base and a reddish color and the other shows a Point with a square base and a yellowish color. Looks like two different Points to me.

There are 3 pics in your first post and two show a Point with a round base and a reddish color and the other shows a Point with a square base and a yellowish color. Looks like two different Points to me./QUOTE]

At first glance I thought the same but once I expanded the image I can see the base of the knife sitting on the tape measure which kinda gives it a squared off look. Lighting may account for the color difference. Nice assesment on typology.

Well congratulations on your first find. Knife is what I would go with and they were probably sorry they lost it or it washed out of a grave site. Ceremonial items. A catch-all definition meanin we ain't got a clue. There were speciality items made that had no practical use other than to indicate status or whatever. There are certain religious items still in existence today, which I guess you could call ceremonial items. Grim Reaper I think the lighting is messin up those pics. But yeah, that base does look different. The tangs still match and the work style is the same. The most important thing in your next pics Sheerblue is where is Cavender's Boot City located at, and what brands do they carry. I am always in the market for good boots.

Well congratulations on your first find. Knife is what I would go with and they were probably sorry they lost it or it washed out of a grave site. Ceremonial items. A catch-all definition meanin we ain't got a clue. There were speciality items made that had no practical use other than to indicate status or whatever. There are certain religious items still in existence today, which I guess you could call ceremonial items. Grim Reaper I think the lighting is messin up those pics. But yeah, that base does look different. The tangs still match and the work style is the same. The most important thing in your next pics Sheerblue is where is Cavender's Boot City located at, and what brands do they carry. I am always in the market for good boots.

RGINN-Thanks for the info & for looking!! BTW, Cavender's Boot City is a large chain of western stores located in, I know for sure, the larger cities here in Louisiana & Texas. They have most brands of boots from Ariat to Tony Llama. You can check them out & what they do have at: www.cavenders,com. Good luck!!
Now to address the pics again......all 3 photos are of the same single piece. I turned it over & took another pic on the measuring tape & one off of it!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back