What's new

My frame of triangles

yakker

Bronze Member
Joined
Jan 20, 2012
Messages
1,666
Reaction score
1,241
Golden Thread
0
Location
Down East
Detector(s) used
spec enhanced eyeballs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think these must be the most common style of point to be found in my area... I find one nearly every time I go out (nearly is a broad statement..8-)


0304140944.webp

It all started very slowly- this was my first frame until last year...


Photo159.webp

Thanks for looking! Yakker
 
Upvote 0
Very nice wish we had more of them around here. The stemmed or corner notched point seemed to be a favorite in my area.
 
Thanks Rock. We have stemmed and corner notch too, but these babies are everywhere- and tiny to huge. I forget- where are you- what state? THX Yak
 
You are building one nice frame of some really nice triangles. Look great Yakker. What area are they from?
 
Thanks Tn. All from the Delmarva peninsula. Yak
 
Thanks Rock. We have stemmed and corner notch too, but these babies are everywhere- and tiny to huge. I forget- where are you- what state? THX Yak

Georgia northern section
 
Very nice frames:thumbsup: and I'm like Rock I wish there was more around my area:BangHead:
 
Them are really nice. I always like seeing triangles. In our area we find a few triangles, not very many.
 
Very nice Yakker !! I love seeing Delmarva points. I love the one in the center of the smaller frame, is that some sort of clear chalcedony? Lots of cool examples in each frame. Have you heard about the artifact show tomorrow, March 8th, 10AM to 4PM at the fire hall in East New Market, MD? I just heard about it earlier in the week and have arranged to set up two tables of my local artifacts to display, but am much more interested in seeing the dozens of other tables of local artifacts that will be there, as well as presentations by archeologist Darrin Lowery, and pre historic lifeways specialist Daniel Firehawk Abbott, among others. It is open to the public and coincides with the local waterman associations "Everything Oyster" day celebrations. Sorry I do not want to hijack your post, just wanting to get the "last minute" word out to you, and anyone else who might be in the area and have an interest.
 
Thanks all. Happy Spring Hunting (to those who can actually see the ground!)
Red- here's that triangle in a different shot: (2 shots).


0306141006.webp 0306141009.webp

I do think it's chalsedony. It's opaque (I'll try to take a pic w/ back lighting). It's one of my all-time favorites. Just the tiniest flea bites on the base tips, and very fine flaking. I love it. Pictured w/ it is my 1 and only known paleo point. And that red thing below and left of triangle is a very cool flake hafted scraper which I'll take a pic/post soon. Cheers all!
 
Last edited:
OOOh- redbeard- our posts crossed- Thanks so much for that info. Maybe, now that most of my stuff is in frames, I'll venture out to the show! I'm laid off for winter break, so this would keep me relatively out of trouble... and like you, I'd love to see what locals have- and hear Lowrey's presentation. Thanks for the info- and no worries about the hijak. It's wasn't. :) Yak
 
Got a couple more pics of that chalsedony triangle: Tried to get the flaking pattern, but not certain it'll come out. My phone isn't the best camera by a long shot.


0307141306.webp 0307141306a.webp 0307141307.webp
 
You got some very nice triangles there Yakker. I have only found one that looks remotely close to what you have. The colors are beautiful. Are the white ones made of quartz? Thanks for letting us see them.
 
I was going to say quartz crystal on the clear one. I might be wrong but I know PA has allot of quartz.
 
Great frame of triangles! I used to go to Wachapreague to fish, I should have been looking for artifacts.. I think you are correct with the Chalcedony ID. Nice to see some Delmarva artifacts, thanks for the view.
 
Those are sweet !!!!!
 
Very nice frame of true arrowheads.

Could be Levanna points.
 
...those are pretty yakker....they make me think of sharks teeth, cool!
 
That eastern shore material is some fiiiiiine stuff...I love triangles, and it's nice to see someone finding them whole!
 
Thanks everyone! And, you'll see- there are brokes in there too- because they tend to make me just as thrilled when I find them. The featured triangle I'm not too sure of. Does chalcedony come in opaque? If not, then this must be a quartzite. But yes- the white ones in the frame are quartz. We have a ton of it around here- like VA (and maybe N. Carolina too?). Mighty hard to work, that stuff. Amazing they could make anything- muchless a well tooled piece! I do see a lot of hit-or-miss chunks- where someone gave a rock a whack and found it was unsuitable for knapping or grinding- often fault lines running through.

And yes- Lavanna plus some that look more like Maudes, some Madisons. At least as far as shape goes. I don't know scratch about flaking patterns.

Happy Hunting everyone! Yakker
 

Similar threads

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom