What's new

My frame of triangles

yakker

Bronze Member
Joined
Jan 20, 2012
Messages
1,666
Reaction score
1,241
Golden Thread
0
Location
Down East
Detector(s) used
spec enhanced eyeballs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think these must be the most common style of point to be found in my area... I find one nearly every time I go out (nearly is a broad statement..8-)


0304140944.webp

It all started very slowly- this was my first frame until last year...


Photo159.webp

Thanks for looking! Yakker
 
Upvote 0
The point in question as the material, does it feel slick when you rub it with your fingers? If it does then it isnt quartz and is probably Chalcedony.
 
very nice yak
do i see some jasper and chert mixed in there??
 
Hey guys- The triangle in question does not feel slick to me. Like the difference between feeling a high-gloss painted surface and a matte surface. Quartzite? And yes- there's chert (various- from blueish grey to cream, to shades of brown, black- plus jasper, I'm assuming from PA. Learned from the E. New Market show yesterday that certain stone was traded from as far away as Ohio...

This is honestly one of my top 2 favorites. One of those miracle 'one more step into that tangle of thorns' finds. :) Yak
 
@ yak do you ever take some of your finds to the shows? The people are very nice and like to see local finds. Most can tell you the types you have.
 
I have, but only one- . It's been hard for me to get to them as my schedule never works (I'm a chef, working all weekend, etc.). However, I went to one a couple days ago, but didn't pull out any stuff- although I brought it. Got too absorbed in everything else- having never been to a show before. Did get a chance to meet RedBeard, though- which was very cool. Had to leave abruptly, unfortunately (pet medical issues)... there will be more shows. And hopefully time too! Yak
 
Got a book that describes eastern shore cobble jasper...
 

Attachments

  • image-2589800202.webp
    image-2589800202.webp
    67.4 KB · Views: 101
And some of the stone you sent me last year was jasper for sure, I think I still have some flakes of it somewhere too
 
Beautiful jaspers points you have in those frame Yak! That jasper Clovis point is a beauty. It looks like it is made from variegated jasper and pretty rare here in PA. Only found in a couple of spots. The brown Jasper with red in it is heat treated. The jasper will turn red when heated. Please show close ups of that piece. Do you know where it was found? The quartz point is polished and the reason it has that look. I had a paleo triangle made the same way.003 (800x600).webp it is in the center........
 
I also live a hour north of the Macungie Jasper Quarry. I use to work around there and use to find huge jasper cores when i was landscaping peoples yards. Flakes everywhere!!! Looks like you have a mix of material as well, quartz, jasper, conshocton flint, Onandoga chert, and several points types......Nice frames.....good color!!
 
Beautiful jaspers points you have in those frame Yak! That jasper Clovis point is a beauty. It looks like it is made from variegated jasper and pretty rare here in PA. Only found in a couple of spots. The brown Jasper with red in it is heat treated. The jasper will turn red when heated. Please show close ups of that piece. Do you know where it was found? The quartz point is polished and the reason it has that look. I had a paleo triangle made the same way.View attachment 958331 it is in the center........


Hey Get the Point- do you mean the clovis in another post? I'm not sure I knew I had a jasper (variegated or not) in the triangle frame! ??? I'll get a close-up of any point you want to see. To be honest, the quartzite(?) point... was not in a high-abrasion area. More muddy (really muddy) and woodsy. Very little sand, per se. I guess I really do need to show it to someone. Let me know what you want to see- and thanks! Yakker
 
Hey Get the Point- this must be what you were talking about:


0311141342.webp 0311141342a.webp


0311141343.webp 0311141344.webp

And GTK- what book is that? I need one of those! Thanks for looking :icon_thumleft:- HH Yak
 
Woops,
The book is "Pennsylvania chert" by Gary fogleman...mostly PA stuff, but it does describe cherts local to some surrounding states
 
Thanks GTK- I'll check it out!
 
Get The Point-- yes they are...(!!!) ;) Yakker :happy3:
 

Similar threads

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom